Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting 18" CV-7's and wanted to know what tire size is the best option.

235/50/18 is what I was thinking, any input?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
I am getting 18" CV-7's and wanted to know what tire size is the best option.

235/50/18 is what I was thinking, any input?

Thanks guys!
I'd be thinkin more like 255/40/18,

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
either tire size will work...just depends on how wide you want or how tall you want in rubber

·
Registered
CTS
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on a 2003 CTS with lux/sport what size will look the best?

I dont want a big gap, but I dont want a huge high tire either.

Let me know guys your advice means alot!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
if you truly want to feel the gap without a huge high tire, then put some 20s on it...but the 235/50 will fill more of that gap than the 255/40 will...are you going to drop it any?

·
Registered
CTS
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO I dont want to lower it seeings how I have the FE3 shocks and dont wanna deal with the PITA to lower it, so probably will just stick with the stock suspension for now. so 235? you think?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
the 235 is the wdith of the tire...the 50 is going to be the heighth of the tire...if you want to fill that gap without lowering it, i suggest the 235/50 over the 255/40...when you go to the tire shop to put these on, have them roll one of each size out there and go with what you like best

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
How much of the road do you want to feel....... I have 235/50 17" and glad I didn't go any wider or bigger since I wanted to go for more of a smoother ride.
As it is my LHS with the same size tires/rims drove a lot smoother................

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
My 18's are on 245-45 tires, but I have it lowered 1.5". You could probably get away with 235-50 no problem.

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
the 235 is the wdith of the tire...the 50 is going to be the heighth of the tire...if you want to fill that gap without lowering it, i suggest the 235/50 over the 255/40...when you go to the tire shop to put these on, have them roll one of each size out there and go with what you like best
Sorry,Guess I always get caught up with tires having to be as wide as possible with my V having 800+ rwhp, with drag radials on the rear. Might be you'd prefer a little taller rubber with a better ride, But like has been said, Just have the tire store roll out a couple different size & see what you like, After all it is your car & for you to decide what looks best on it. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
With the 235/50/18 you will be about 3.2 mph faster than indicated with the 255/40/18 only about .4 mph fast not to bad.
Isn't the speedometer calibrated differently for different models of the CTS, becuase of the different rolling diameters? Wouldn't oyu have to know what his OEM tire size was, in order to calculate the difference?

*EDIT* Nevermind. He mentioned he has a 03 Sport/Lux. That means the OEM tire size was 225/50/17, obviously. So going to a 235/50/18 should increase the rolling diameter by about an inch.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
What about 255/45/18? The speedo difference is only .662% (at 60 MPH speedo will show 59.6 MPH) and the diameter difference is only 0.67%. The sidewall height will fill in the gap nicely and not look too big.

255/45/18 is the size im thinkin of getting, they are about 25 bucks more per tire then the 225/50/18 stock size tho :(

Im also worried about rubbing on the front tires... I dont know tho, I will look into it more...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Biggest advantage of a low profile tire is:

You get to buy new wheels and tires as you hit potholes, curbs, railroad tracks, garbage on highway. If you damage one custom rim, you might have to buy a complete set, if you can locate replacement wheels. Stay away from Chinese cast wheels. Really bad news as far as quality control. (Most tires coming from Calif are Chinese.) And I like Chinese food and Chinese people. (I still want to know why Chinese restaurants will not serve me turkey and broccoli, or macaroni and cheese. Who do I complain to?)

Would you consider a 78 or 80 series tire??? LOL

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Using the GPS screen that shows speed on my Nav, my speedo is now spot on with 245/45R18's (same size as the CTS-V). I didn't try it before I swapped from the stock tires. Makes one wonder what tire size the stock car is really calibrated for.

Also, as a tire wears, the diameter will shrink over 1/2" over it's life making the speedo off my more than 1.5%!

·
Registered
CTS
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Discount tire told me to go with a 245/40/18 that a 235/50/18 will rub.

Should I listen to them or will I be ok with a 235/50/18? I have to order the 235 cause they dont have it in stock but I am stuck with them if they rub.

Help me fellas! Thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts