Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side front wheel bearing is starting to make a grinding noise on left turns. There seems to be a wide range of prices for replacement bearings with the OEM being on the high side. Given the trouble the OEM bearings have given us, would it make sense to go with a different manufacturer? Anyone have advice on the best bearing to buy as a replacement?

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the all wheel drive, front and rear are the same bearing. From what I have seen, the Timken seems to be the reliable way to go. TIMKEN Part # HA590260 fits the AWD models, not sure what yous is. From the cost of a set of tires and the risk of a broken flange (seen that happen on tracks with many cars running cheapo wheel bearings) spending a few dollars extra on a wheel bearing is worth it.

FWIW, the bolts are most likely one time use bolts. GM sells them as torque to yield (once you use them once, they are done). They will not look worn out but internally they have stretched to hold the torque properly on the wheel. Check with your dealer about that part. Not a super hard job to do, just takes time.

Cassidy

·
Registered
2009 CTS
118 Posts
Best wheel bearings will be National, Timken, SKF, and ***. Rockauto has the National for $117 and Timken for $127 right now.

There are cheaper ones and if you are doing the work yourself you can take a chance on them. The economy ones are around $50.

But as said, could be ABS ring for example, remove the wheel and inspect before replacing anything.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not trying to cheap out...just want to get a decent bearing. Normally I would just go with OEM as the best option but not sure that is the case with all the problems documented on this site! Mine is RWD so I'll have to research to make sure I get the right part. Thanks for the tip on the one-time use bolts. I will make sure I get new bolts.

BRDR - I will look into the ABS ring. Is that a separte part? How would I tell that is the source for the noise? Unfortunately I am just hearing the grind when Under a lateral load (left hand turn at moderate speed). I doubt I will be able to duplicate the noice when it is up on the jack.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
When my wheel bearings were going, I heard the noise all the time, not just when turning. I wonder if your bearing is actually bad or it's the ABS ring (or something else) as posted above?

·
Registered
CTS, STS
103 Posts
The ring doesnt make noise. Its located on the back side of the wheel bearing. It typically breaks and then shuts off your ABS, stibilitrak and traction control. I've replaced 2 hubs because of this. I'm also replacing my 2nd hub for the humming noise when the bearing starts to go. I've only used timken but the one I'm replacing now is a timken that I replaced a year ago. Just chalking it up to premature failure cuz I know timken is a good bearing. @ weeks out of warranty too...luckily only $125 for the part.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the noise got progressively worse so I finally jacked her up and took the wheel off. Turns out the tin brake dust shield that fits around the rotor was the culprit. I just took a screw driver and pushed it back all the way around and its quiet as a mouse again! I checked for play in the wheel and it was tight so no bearing problem! 80k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts