Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our car dealership keeps asking us to sell our Cadillac to them, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go.
We have decided to sell it (yes, BIG tears!) but I don't trust "car salesmen" in general (sorry if that offends - just bad experiences).
We were going to just place it in our local papers, but then your great site came up on a Google search.

So - I'm guessing that you guys are the experts - so where are the best places to advertise the car, and could anyone OBJECTIVELY tell us what we think we should sell it for?

We are very basic people, so we have only kept the car for my mom to have a luxury car to drive during her retirement years. I will give you the short and basic:
We bought it from a nice older lady 3 years ago. It is a 1990 Gold Package with a sunroof V8 Cadillac Seville with 49,500 miles. The body is gorgeous. Last year we had 4 cylinders/injectors (whatever they are called) replaced. It has some electrical hiccups that come and go. Those problems are - the passenger front window sometimes sticks; the driver-side fan/blower doesn't blow. We think that a cylinder has gone again because it has lost a little pick-up this summer, but we have not had diagnostics run yet. The radio doesn't get good reception. It has a radio/tape deck combo.

It runs fine except or a little pickup which is probably a cylinder/injector thing again. Sunroof still works great! As I said, it is gorgeous - people are always commenting on the appearance of the car. The windows work, the fuel & trunk pop-up thing works.

I am not trying to sell it to you - I'm sure you have enough things to discuss.

I am just hoping some nice people will give us advice on the best places to post our car to sell it, and how much we should ask for it.

Thank you sincerely for taking time to give us advice.
-Kurt & Marla
Lover, Pennsylvania

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:) Go to www.kbb.com (KelleyBlueBook) and, being as objective as you can, enter the data for the car into each of the 3 types of sale.....retail, private, trade-in. This should give you some point of reference. You should have the engine diagnostic run by a dealer, and, although it will cost some $$$ to do and possibly repair something, you'll have a recent service record to wave along with your price point. (Have the dealer pull the GM service record for the car's VIN (the number on the plate in the windshield corner or on your title/registration)). Any potential buyer worth his/her salt will do the same. (You COULD put some money into fixing the small details and then drive it forever........)

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Best place to sell THAT kind of car? Craigslist, Ebay or Autotrader. You need to reach out to an audience looking for that kind of vehicle, and those websites allow you to reach a mass market audience, ebay and autotrader moreso than Craigslist.

Im sure the dealer is trying to give you 1500 bucks for it or less, and if its truly in the pristine condition you say it is, I wouldnt be surprised if you could get the right person to pay as much as 3000 or more for it. But it will take time.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I do this for a living. I sell cars! Best web site in my opinion is www.edmunds.com. to get some idea of retail value or fair trade-in value. Their prices are based on an average of cars, like yours in your surrounding area, that have literally sold, either thru auctions or private party. Please understand that all these web sites are guides only. Nobody from any web site will come and purchase your car! Price it close to private party value if you decide to sell it yourself and be prepared to test drive with strangers and people calling that never show up! Have a CARFAX history report done to add value to your asking price.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Nobody from any web site will come and purchase your car!
What does that mean? Ive sold a TON of cars via Craigslist, Autotrader and Ebay. In all cases Ive gotten RETAIL for the car by knowing how to word my listings, spit shine-em to make em pretty (repair loose or broken emblems, clean carpets... same thing dealers charge you lot pack for) and well, having quality vehicles difficult to find in the condition I sell them in.

I agree with using Edmunds TMV as a guide though, its usually lower than KBB or especially ridiculous NADA... thus more realistic.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
To be more clear. Nobody from KBB or NADA or EDMUNDS will come and buy your car. I was making the point that these are only guides. Some more realistic than others!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts