Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased my newly acquired baby. I was wondering what is the BEST oil to put in. I am due for an oil change and want to know what is the best? I have heard certain oils are bad for the Northstar? please fill me in thanks :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my caddy from my brother and have since changed the oil to mobil 1.....ran it in all my hot rod engines before and a noticeable difference in the caddy cold start up.......136000 on the cad bullit...a believer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Redline oil is the best in my opinion.. Of course it's expensive as hell. $8/qt but it's the best.. I use it in my caddy 10W-30.. Or i would try the royal purple next it's a little cheaper and then mobile 1 below that it's in a good price range.. It all depends on the $ you have.. You can call up redline and ask them why their oil is better :) or check out http://www.redlineoil.com/whyredline.htm It also gives you a little more horsepower to use good synthetic oil , i think maybe 5-10HP can be gained by using it on the 300HP 4.6L. I use redline d4 atf also.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Remeber guys..... TYPE OF OIL IS MUCH LESS IMPORTANT THAT FREQUENCY OF CHANGING...... Personally, I like synthetic (im a valvoline fan, IMO equal to M1 and a wee cheaper).... Its just overall cleaner than dino...... I know everyone has a pro and con about it, but I like syn....

Also, when using synthetic, use a thicker grade than if you were using dino!

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac STS
154 Posts
elwesso said:
Remeber guys..... TYPE OF OIL IS MUCH LESS IMPORTANT THAT FREQUENCY OF CHANGING...... Personally, I like synthetic (im a valvoline fan, IMO equal to M1 and a wee cheaper).... Its just overall cleaner than dino...... I know everyone has a pro and con about it, but I like syn....

Also, when using synthetic, use a thicker grade than if you were using dino!
Im doing an oil change tomorrow before winter in my caddy. my dad buys quaker state 10W-30, but i dont know how much of a difference 5W-30 would make during cold starting. Anyone swiitch oils in different seasons, and is there a big difference??

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
There is a difference between the grades. You don't say where you are. If it's going to get down to 0 go with the 5w-20.
Most cars suffer a lot more damage from cold starts with a thick oil than from anything else. There is a lot of info on the net about oils but the basics are buy good oil, change it reasonably often, and use the lightest possible.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just changed my oil the other day and bought some quaker state synthetic 10w-30 the kind for high horsepowered engines since im running 300hp.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Blackberry,2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded, 2016 SRX LOADED
482 Posts
1. Synthetics reduce wear of an engine.
2. A drop in engine operating temperatures.
3. Exceptional viscosity flow.
4. Better circulation and cooling in an engine.
5. Film strength over 2,000 psi.
6. Thermal Stability at high temperatures.
7. A cleaner engine.

I think it is one of the greatest engineering
developments of the century.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
To answer your question 18 years later, I recommend Castrol Edge. It is a Fully Synthetic with Fluid Titanium for great strength under pressure, intelligent molecules that cling to critical engine parts to protect them during startup, and sludge buster technology to keep the engine clean. This isn't a promotion, but a testimony that Castrol lives up to its claim; I use Castrol Edge in the 4.6L Northstar V8 of my 2006 Cadillac DTS.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,000 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

What testing and wear measurements vs. time and mileage have you done to verify that Castrol Edge is in fact better than other highly rated synthetic engine oils?

Sure, Castrol makes some fine lubricants - but so does every other recognized name brand on the planet. I was running Castrol 20, 30, and 40 weights in Jaguars, MGs, Austin Healeys back in the 50s! No such thing as SAE, -W, or multigrades then.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

What testing and wear measurements vs. time and mileage have you done to verify that Castrol Edge is in fact better than other highly rated synthetic engine oils?

Sure, Castrol makes some fine lubricants - but so does every other recognized name brand on the planet. I was running Castrol 20, 30, and 40 weights in Jaguars, MGs, Austin Healeys back in the 50s! No such thing as SAE, -W, or multigrades then.
[/QUOT

Thank you, I am delighted to be here. With all due respect; the originator of this forum asked for an opinion, and I gave him my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, if you believe another brand is better; you are entitled to your opinion, and you could've shared it with the originator. I've driven just about 3,000kms with Castrol Edge in every condition, and I've experienced what it can do. Therefore, cut the zealous act please; because it's not doing us any good. Remember, he asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine as you could have given him yours. So please, let's remain friendly; besides, I only testified of what Castrol Edge can do. In no way did I denigrate other brands.

·
Administrator
75,000 Posts
".... denigrate other brands...." - Nor did I. I made an honest reply based on past experience, not advertising. In my case I've driven 4 vehicles over 230,000 miles using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic since about 2007 and have had no problems. Your 1,800 miles on one oil fill is not enough to even get the oil to a point at which a sample analysis would reveal anything. The quoted properties for the Edge appear to be advertising technospeak rather than in-the-field gearhead assessment. 1800 miles is not enough to even do an accurate Northstar oil consumption assessment.

Please describe "fluid Titanium". Is that sort of like the finely powdered molybdenum used in some oil additives?

The last time the OP logged in was 17 years ago so I doubt that he will see your (our) opinion.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
Look friend, we're all different and we all have our ways of describing things. Second of all, I know about the feud people have with Castrol; but little did I know that mentioning Castrol would start a fight. If you're so zealous that you're willing to start a fight over a brand, that shows you want attention; and you're not going to get it from me, you're acting like a cry baby. Find something useful to do in life instead being an Internet Warrior. I've seen people in the forum recommend other brands, am I going to argue with them because they've recommended other brands? Please, I have better to do with my life than fighting and arguing.

·
Administrator
75,000 Posts
I'll reply and then quit. You did not read my posts. I have NO feud with Castrol. I used to run it in some damned fine, expensive, race-tuned cars. You did not start a fight - you appear to not like rebuttal or debate. "Useful" to do in life? Read my profile - click the avatar.

FWIW, after going back through the OP's past posts, he drove a pre-2000 Northstar vehicle so his choice of a 10W-30 oil was correct for his flat-tappet engine. Quaker State is also a good oil, part of the SOPUS (Shell Oil Products U.S.) umbrella of Shell, Pennzoil. Quaker State, others.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
I thought people on here were friendly, but I was wrong; it's no wonder you're on a forum, because you have no lives. One little thing gets misinterpreted, and starts a fuss, really? What Respect? I've now lived my experience and learned my lesson, and I'll know better than to socialize in a forum. Ironically, in the old days, the men who owned Cadillacs were Gentlemen, unlike you who have no class at all. Goodbye.

you really should have paid more attention to post #17--calling any member a cry baby, or "no class at all" isn't permitted. -Byrdman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.