Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got my '73 DeVille running well, and I'm looking to make it growl a bit. The engine & exhaust, as of right now, are totally stock. I'm looking for something with a loud rumble at idle, and a deep sound upon acceleration. I'd prefer to avoid large amounts of interior drone, but I'm fine with some. In fact, I'd rather have a smidge of drone than nothing at all.

I'm considering a flowmaster 40 or a 4x9 magna flow. Does anyone have experience with these mufflers on a 472? Or, rather, does anyone have any good recommendations?

·
Registered
96 FWB
879 Posts
Hooker Aerochambers are NLA which were perfection for 16 years on my old FWB, so I risked the highly touted Dynomax (in my sig), even though it uses 'an eventually eroding someday' fiberglas packing. I've been very pleased the past two years. NO drone, and in a bored moment I'll add some Jones resonators for a really sedate sound:

I wanted a straight 2 1/4" catback, but all the Dynomax were just too damn short in that dia., so I bought these Flow 50 Delta Flows as the nearest facsimile. After a couple months of indecision I just said F. it and made a frankenstein solution using 2 1/2" OTA and a 2 1/4" -2 1/2" sleeve to use the dynomax I really wanted in the first place.

Cliffs: Depending on what you decide on, I have 2 New Never Installed of these for sale. Haven't thought what price I want yet, but they're pissing me off in the garage:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hooker Aerochambers are NLA which were perfection for 16 years on my old FWB, so I risked the highly touted Dynomax (in my sig), even though it uses 'an eventually eroding someday' fiberglas packing. I've been very pleased the past two years. NO drone, and in a bored moment I'll add some Jones resonators for a really sedate sound:

I wanted a straight 2 1/4" catback, but all the Dynomax were just too damn short in that dia., so I bought these Flow 50 Delta Flows as the nearest facsimile. After a couple months of indecision I just said F. it and made a frankenstein solution using 2 1/2" OTA and a 2 1/4" -2 1/2" sleeve to use the dynomax I really wanted in the first place.

Cliffs: Depending on what you decide on, I have 2 New Never Installed of these for sale. Haven't thought what price I want yet, but they're pissing me off in the garage:

I've heard a lot of good things about the Dynomax Super Turbos. Do they always stay mild-ish, or do they "sound off" when you step on it? I actually have Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow mufflers on my daily driver (Grand Marquis) and I'm looking for something with a bit more bite. Because I won't be driving the Cadillac every day, I don't need to be super worried about drone / the neighbors.

The qualifier, though, is that they need to be quiet enough as to where I can have a conversation in the vehicle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
867 Posts
If the car is rarely driven and only started periodically, save the money and stay away from the "jewelry" mufflers. The exhaust systems just rot away from internal moisture and not being driven nearly enuff.

I'd go with the Summit Racing turbo series of mufflers. They are basically the un-branded Flowmaster 2 or 3 chamber mufflers for a third of the price.

If you know of any good Amish exhaust shops (see you're in VA), they can do a mild stainless exhaust system from the front to rear for $300 INSTALLED. Crazy inexpensive but worth every penny.

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Or you could leave it stock and not be the guy everyone has to turn their heads, plug their ears, and wait for you to pass before they can continue their conversation or hear themselves think again just because you need attention. Have some class.

·
Registered
96 FWB
879 Posts
I've already skittered as close to the edge of 'objective' description as possible, so I'm wary of any more advice. I'll offer that I've heard a rule of thumb that turbo type are generally quieter than chambered, and as far as the my Hooker Aero v. Dynomax that holds (held) true. I would have a hard time arguing Eric-'s insights above, but you've said your 50es are too smooth. I have the majority of the Summit/Jegs chambered catback (rebranded Heartthrobs) on my '96 Impala SS and it's 'plenty loud' (well according to me), so that's an option.

Haha - sorry, but I hafta second the above. Unless you're running murdered out on 20es and a Roots sticking outta the hood to give others an honest advance heads-up, the biggest fear with any decent looking 50-year old Cady with too adamant and bitey a sound is just going to come off as some kid that can't even afford fixing the exhaust. IMHO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the car is rarely driven and only started periodically, save the money and stay away from the "jewelry" mufflers. The exhaust systems just rot away from internal moisture and not being driven nearly enuff.

I'd go with the Summit Racing turbo series of mufflers. They are basically the un-branded Flowmaster 2 or 3 chamber mufflers for a third of the price.

If you know of any good Amish exhaust shops (see you're in VA), they can do a mild stainless exhaust system from the front to rear for $300 INSTALLED. Crazy inexpensive but worth every penny.
I'll have to look into Amish exhaust shops; $300 is damn crazy! I originally wanted a fully custom dual-exhaust system, but the quotes I got were too high to justify.

Or you could leave it stock and not be the guy everyone has to turn their heads, plug their ears, and wait for you to pass before they can continue their conversation or hear themselves think again just because you need attention. Have some class.
Yea; I figured a few people would have this take. I'm not looking for anything deafeningly loud, and I wouldn't even want an exhaust if my Caddy was a looker. Right now, however, she's looking pretty ratty. Figured I might as well embrace the "unfinished" vibe, at least temporarily.

·
Registered
Cadillac
867 Posts
I had the Amish do a 3" cat-back mild stainless system on my SS454 pick'em up truck. It took them 2.5 hours (!!) and the bend over the axle is perfect, tips are perfect. I was seriously impressed. The stainless pipe with the Summit Racing turbo muffler really gives the truck an awesome sound. It's only "loud" when I stand on it. Normal cruise is decent and unobtrusive but definitely noisier than stock but with more basso profundo sound.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,163 Posts
I had the Amish do a 3" cat-back mild stainless system on my SS454 pick'em up truck. It took them 2.5 hours (!!) and the bend over the axle is perfect, tips are perfect. I was seriously impressed. The stainless pipe with the Summit Racing turbo muffler really gives the truck an awesome sound. It's only "loud" when I stand on it. Normal cruise is decent and unobtrusive but definitely noisier than stock but with more basso profundo sound.
Care to share the name of the shop?

That sounds too good not to file.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts