Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
amsoil is likely the best synthetic oil, Mobil 1 is what i run since i can only find amsoil in individual qt. bottles for $12 a pop. pennzoil is a great synthetic as well. what ever you use make sure it meets GM's specs for your engine.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i use mobil 1 on my CTS but have been thinking about switching to Royal Purple for this summer.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I use Mobil 1, but I use 10w-30... I'll be using 5w on my 2nd upcoming oil change (i already got 6 quarts on sale of 10w-30. LOL) Manual says 10w is recommended. Any reason why everyones usin 5w? Cold weather areas?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I use Mobil 1, but I use 10w-30... I'll be using 5w on my 2nd upcoming oil change (i already got 6 quarts on sale of 10w-30. LOL) Manual says 10w is recommended. Any reason why everyones usin 5w? Cold weather areas?
5w30 is a little thinner, so its better in cold weather for starting up.

i didnt know that the 3.6 says to use 10w30...maybe this 5w30 is partially to blame for the timing chain issues....reason i say that is on the nissan altima forum when ther timing chains start making noise everyone says to put in thicker oil and most of the time the noise goes away....or so they say.
no idea how that works but it obviously is not fixing the problem, its just a bandaid.

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
If you think Mobil 1 is the best oil for the 3.6 L engine in the CTS you'd better think again. The 3.6, especially in its DI version, has been proven to be especially hard on oil and the UOA for Mobil 1 has been way less than stellar.

We also have a 2008 Buick Enclave with the newer version (NOT DI) 3.6 and there's been a ton of information posted on Enclaveforum.net. Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and Castrol Edge have all shown good UOA results with the 3.6 DI engine. I'm using either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra since it's available at Walmart and is a little cheaper than Castrol Edge. Pennzoil Platinum has also been certified to the new GM Dexos oil specification that must be used in all 2011 GM engines.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
RB8741, I dont think there is one best oil. There a lot of different brands yes and each of them has their specs and their uses. If you're racing, I don't think regular is good for your car. Also, there's a lot of opinions about which one is the best. For my part, I prefer Mobil 1. My car has around 160 000 miles and I've only used (except one OCI that I used GC) M1 5w30 since day one and I did my oil change interval per the OLM only (10k-13k miles). No problem so far and I've always sent the used oil to a lab to get it analyzed and always came back with great results!

Tell us more about your driving habits etc.

If you are like most of us here, use what the owners manual says: 5w30 synthetic with the starbust API certified with gm spec 4718m requirements. There's an official list made by gm somewhere where it tells you which oil is approved 4718m by gm if someone can post it here.

·
Registered
2013 Acura ILX / 2011 Camaro LS
1,007 Posts

I use 5w-30 cause my oil cap says SAE 5W-30 Mobile 1...I've always just followed the cap lol

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
If you think Mobil 1 is the best oil for the 3.6 L engine in the CTS you'd better think again. The 3.6, especially in its DI version, has been proven to be especially hard on oil and the UOA for Mobil 1 has been way less than stellar.

We also have a 2008 Buick Enclave with the newer version (NOT DI) 3.6 and there's been a ton of information posted on Enclaveforum.net. Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and Castrol Edge have all shown good UOA results with the 3.6 DI engine. I'm using either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra since it's available at Walmart and is a little cheaper than Castrol Edge. Pennzoil Platinum has also been certified to the new GM Dexos oil specification that must be used in all 2011 GM engines.
Where did anyone say Mobil 1 was the best? They simply said it was recommended, so thats what they use. Also, show me a 1st gen CTS with the DI engine. ;) I still dont believe that the timing chain problems are oil related. There are too many cars with the HFV6 with 2 and 3000 miles on them, with normal oil levels and yet they still have the timing chain issue. If it was a n oil related issue, I dont think it would show up often on brand new cars with proper oil levels. This is the N* issue all over again. It might be 10 years before GM finally figures out whats causing the issue.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
wait...pepsi doesnt use sugar?
Canada gets different bottles and i think ingredients than USA in some products, i wonder if pepsi is diferent.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
they have not used real sugar in pop (or soda) in years. They use high fructose corn syrup (second highest % ingredient after water :lol:)

They made the throwback to mimic the recipe they used years and years ago when pop was made with real sugar. To me it actually tastes more like diet pop. I actually never tried the pepsi, but throwback mountain dew is awful.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts