Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 SOLD!Now SAAB 9-3(me), CTS Wagon(mom), STS 3.6(dad)
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i starting to get the mod bug as my warranty is ending in about and 1.5 months and i now have cash so i wanna start doing some things. im still with the stock 16 wheels and am just waiting for someone to sell their 17 or any other aftermarket wheels as i dont feel like spending my whole budget on wheels. i was wondering what the most cost effective way for me to make my ride better and the car lower for not a lot of money. and theres the power i know everyone went with the oiled filter cai. i was looking at the afe ones that are also high flow intake that use dry cone filter. i was wondering is this a safer and better route than using oiled as oil might start throwing codes later on. im getting my v-grille powder coated black so thats the only thing that on schedule. so can anyone give me more ideas and answer my questions.

thanks

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Cheap mods that can improve performance/handling:
TonyA airbox mod: improves the airflow bumping a few horsepower $30-40
CTS-V sway bars: improves cornering free-$100
Strut tower brace: further improved handling $80-90

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheap mods that can improve performance/handling:
TonyA airbox mod: improves the airflow bumping a few horsepower $30-40
CTS-V sway bars: improves cornering free-$100
Strut tower brace: further improved handling $80-90
where can i get the sway bars and how hard are they to install?

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts
Volant CIA works better for your car then the K&N i have on my 3.2
A little more $$$ but the presentaion looks better. Intake is a good investment!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
MOCTS, the mods u do are supposed to be modifications to your ride that you want to make so that your car is more appealing to you & makes u enjoy it more....
some ppl on here will tell u to upgrade to big chrome wheels, others will say that you need to do a V bumper...

It all depends on what you want to do....

what is more important to you; Appearance or Performance?
well take it from there :)

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
so does anyone have an answer for this?
easy install, hotchkis, eibach, or gmparts direct for oem cts-v sways.
first i'd tint windows if you haven't. then for me it would be lowering, serves two purposes, it looks better and performs better(might even make your 16s look bigger, lol or atleast peeps might think you have hydros)
next best bang for your buck is an intake.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
make a list of things u want to do ....
then rearrange the mods to be in order of what you'd like to do first & just go by that

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
where can i get the sway bars and how hard are they to install?
I got mine off another forum member when he upgraded his CTS-V sway bars. Troll the CTS-V forums and or solicit for sways. Some people will sell you theirs cheap or just for the cost of shipping.

Regarding the Cold Air Intakes (CAI) the Volant is the best performer for the 3.6L engine but it's about ten times as expensive as the TonyA.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i already tinted the vehicle 35/20

i really want a good balance of performance and handling, with a little bit better looks. i might get a wing and some tips. i want to lower the car but sears said it would be 800 with installation for eibachs so thats out of the question. i want to do the cts-v sways so im gonna go have to solicit the v forums. if i want to lower my car what parts do i need?

https://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=AFE51-10892/534.0

i know it was showed here but has anyone dealt with this type of filter and its only about 30 bucks more than a volant.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
if you buy the eibach springs off line you'll probably pay 200 and something. then find a garage to install if you can't yourself, should only be a couple hours labor. but you will have to get an alignment done, probably about another 50.00. aslo if you have sport suspension you will have to replace the rears shocks with non-load leveling ones fe2 or fe1's. cost you about 90.00 a piece off the net.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have the base 3.6 so if i just get the eibach springs am i set?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you buy the eibach springs off line you'll probably pay 200 and something. then find a garage to install if you can't yourself, should only be a couple hours labor. but you will have to get an alignment done, probably about another 50.00. aslo if you have sport suspension you will have to replace the rears shocks with non-load leveling ones fe2 or fe1's. cost you about 90.00 a piece off the net.
damn your cts is nice. do you have any instructions on how to install the sway bars? are ctsv springs or eibachs better?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
also will the sway bars help body roll? this might be a dumb question but does the stock 3.6 come with sway bars?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Yes, the stock cars have decent sway bars (matched to the suspension), but if you want more performance, you need to upgrade to bigger sways. If one is running 16" wheels, that would be the first upgrade (to 18's), as they flex way too much to make a sway bar upgrade worthwhile.

The old racers adage applies: "Performance costs $$$$ . . . how fast can you afford to go?" In order, here's how to do it:

3.6 Engine:
Cold Air Intake: $50 (TonyA modded stock airbos) to $250 (Volant)
Dual exhaust $100 (V) to $1200 (Corsa)

Suspension:
18" wheels and 245/45R18 tires: $1000 to $3000
Eibach springs: ~$200 plus installation
FE4 shocks: $~100 (used from a V owner)
Upgraded sway bars: $100 (used V) to $300 (Eibach, Hotchkis)
Strut brace: <$100, if you have the hood clearance notch

Body:
spoilers, V bodywork, grills - nothing to do with performance, and you can spend lots of $$$ for this. My V bodywork, paint, and install ran a little over $2000.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts