Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, just got an 06 DTS and just found this board. love the car, hate the audio. i want to add a decent amp and a loaded sub box in the trunk and crossover the stock speakers. the mono amp will be either the jbl GTO 601.1 (424W/4ohm) or jbl BPX 500.1 (718W/4ohm). dont want to mess with a custom enclosure so i am looking for any recomendations on prefab, loaded enclosures that will be a good match for my amp and the DTS trunk. i mostly listen to rock and electronica and prefer a tighter bass sound. i am more concerned with SQ than SPL. i would prefer a box with two 10's but i am open to suggestions. would a sealed or ported enclosure be best? i appreciate any input and recomendations you may have. thanks!!!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
For nice crisp sound, and SQ over SPL, go with a sealed box. Spend the extra $20-50 to get a box custom made for your car and subs, they have programs that figure out frequencies in your car and airspace and all that good stuff, it will increase the SQx1000.

I would go with 2 12s for SQ too, 10s can't pick up as much lows. I wouldn't go with JBL, although their amps are decent. Let me know a price range you have on subs and I can tell you what is good for SQ at that price. BTW subs don't mean anything without good speakers. Look into Infinity, Eclipse (what I have), Diamond, and Polk for some of the best.

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For nice crisp sound, and SQ over SPL, go with a sealed box. Spend the extra $20-50 to get a box custom made for your car and subs, they have programs that figure out frequencies in your car and airspace and all that good stuff, it will increase the SQx1000.

I would go with 2 12s for SQ too, 10s can't pick up as much lows. I wouldn't go with JBL, although their amps are decent. Let me know a price range you have on subs and I can tell you what is good for SQ at that price. BTW subs don't mean anything without good speakers. Look into Infinity, Eclipse (what I have), Diamond, and Polk for some of the best.
727, thanx so much for your input. i was originally thinking 12's then others suggested that 10's were tighter sounding. hmmmmm...what to do lol..will most shops have the program to figure out the DTS configuration in detail like you mentioned? what would i ask for?

i spent more on my car than planned (dont we all lol)..went to buy a 04 dts and came home with an 06. so audio budget isnt much. the jbl amp retails for @ $400 and i welcome any input on alternative amp choices.

budget for sub(s) and box is @ $400 (dont laugh!). any recommendations?

anyone?

thanx again!!

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, bulko!
thanx my friend.....any detroit gangsta caddy drivin animal rights activist is alright in my book lol....saw your peta tag earlier and tried to pm ya but i guess cuz im a newbie here i cant pm (dammm!). anyway, thanx again.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Hope I don't disappoint you, 1) I'm in Memphis, 2) I don't drive a Caddy, and 3) you need 50 posts. ;)

But yeah, you're alright in my book too!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
For that budget I would go with.....some Diamond D3 12s. Or the D6s if you can push your limit to around $550 with box. Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices has very good deals. Personally if I was you, I'd go one 12" D6 in a sealer box, maybe 1.25 not too sure on their specs. Powered by an Eclipe XA5000 and get some Eclipse or Diamond componenets for the front and cheapo but mathcing brand 6.5s in the rear. (You won't hear the 6.5s because of the subs and powerful front stage). BTW that amp will put out power to all the speakers and the sub. I would run the front speakers bridged off the amp and have the rear speakers running off your HU.

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For that budget I would go with.....some Diamond D3 12s. Or the D6s if you can push your limit to around $550 with box. Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices has very good deals. Personally if I was you, I'd go one 12" D6 in a sealer box, maybe 1.25 not too sure on their specs. Powered by an Eclipe XA5000 and get some Eclipse or Diamond componenets for the front and cheapo but mathcing brand 6.5s in the rear. (You won't hear the 6.5s because of the subs and powerful front stage). BTW that amp will put out power to all the speakers and the sub. I would run the front speakers bridged off the amp and have the rear speakers running off your HU.

kid, thanks for the input...i will check out the website and look into some of the gear you recommended. thanks again!!

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope I don't disappoint you, 1) I'm in Memphis, 2) I don't drive a Caddy, and 3) you need 50 posts. ;)

But yeah, you're alright in my book too!
memphis...i guess that makes sense...guess y'all are gettin flooded with visitors for the 29th anniversary thing.....

ps...we have a black rabbit we rescued from a shelter...named elvis!

·
Registered
06 STS
16 Posts
i used the kicker L7 single 12" in their prefab box in a friends 94 caddy paid 350 for it and it pounds, box is aprox 22Lx18wx18h

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for your help.

i got a decent deal on two 10" 2 JL AUDIO 10W3v2 D2 Subwoofers and a JBL GTO 601.1 11 Amp. havent got a box yet but hopefully soon i will put them to the test.

·
Registered
Black '06 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx for all the input...i had the subs mounted in a box and had everything installed...for a few bucks extra i invested in a wired bass control knob that is installed under the dash on drivers side...with different recordings varying greatly, especially if your musical taste is as diverse as mine (from metal to electronica), this is an absolute must and i wont go without one ever again...

anyway, fyi, the bass is way too powerful. i dont know if i put too much power to these subs or perhaps did not need two 10's? my last vehicle had one 10 with half this much power and had a nice tight sound. this is much louder and more powerful (im expecting the windshield to explode any moment) but the sq is real boomy and not that tight sound i like...ive had the installers (very reputable and knowledgable crew) play with it and ive tweaked it some too. the gain on the amp is turned way down (almost off) and the bass control knob is flat (@5).

next time i will pay a lot closer attention to the style of speaker and would probably drop back down to one 10". then again, perhaps some of this is the acoustics of the car and the positioning of the sub box in the trunk (speakers facing rear) versus a completely different setup / layout in my last vehicle.

overall, loud and powerful as hell, but disappointed with SQ with this set up.

hope this helps others in their DTS audio set ups and would love to hear what is working for you. maybe i will sell my gear and start over lol...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone, just got an 06 DTS and just found this board. love the car, hate the audio. i want to add a decent amp and a loaded sub box in the trunk and crossover the stock speakers. the mono amp will be either the jbl GTO 601.1 (424W/4ohm) or jbl BPX 500.1 (718W/4ohm). dont want to mess with a custom enclosure so i am looking for any recomendations on prefab, loaded enclosures that will be a good match for my amp and the DTS trunk. i mostly listen to rock and electronica and prefer a tighter bass sound. i am more concerned with SQ than SPL. i would prefer a box with two 10's but i am open to suggestions. would a sealed or ported enclosure be best? i appreciate any input and recomendations you may have. thanks!!!
What did you do with the subwoofer in the back window??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts