Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post talking about alot of stuff on cleaning the leather, but alot of the products had to be ordered specially. I just want to run to the auto store for now and get the best styuff they have? Whats the best cleaner/conditoner combo or seperate cleaner conditoner that I can get at the store for now?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Ive heard good stuff about meguires stuff.... I have turtle wax stuff, and its good but smells like crisco.... Works really good....

Blue magic makes a good one also, ill probably try it next time.... I think it smells pretty good....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im not sure you can get lexol in stores, and I know you cant get Zaino.....

I think he was asking the best OTC stuff...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that thread. I always thought Lexol was supposed to be the best, but now I wanna avoid the silicon stuff I guess. I really just wanted to go to my local store and grab some (they do sell Lexol but apparently its bad from that thread). What would you guys recommend that I dont have to order, etc? Is a cleaner/conditioner in one just as good as seperate cleaners and conditioners? Thanks guys; I just got the car and wanna do the seats; they need it!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Like I said, the blue magic system is good.... Its got a cleaner and a conditioner..... And a money back guarntee if you dont like it.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hmm.... i guess I need to find a pepboys!!

All I have around here is advance and autozone..... And walmart has a better selection of stuff than those 2 combined when it comes to detailing stuff.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was gonna go get some Lexol, but that thread stated that it had silicon and it was TERRIBLE for the leather. Now Im confused and just want to know the best product I can get!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I didnt know lexol had silicone in it..... :confused:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I will check that when I get to my office later this week, I did not think that Lexol had any of the "bad" silicone in it, or any silicone to speak of. Not all silicones are bad, you want to stay away from anything with dimethyl silicone in it, that is nasty, there are many tire gloss products and carnauba waxes that use this.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
i got some stuff from armorall , some kind of leather cleaner , spryed it on my steering wheel and shined it like a shoe , damn thing looks new , i thought the leather was wore off , it was just dirty as hell , unforetunely it didnt work on the seats , but there getting redone anyway

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, Im not as concerned with "cleaning" it; I am more concerned with the conditioning. I want it to look and feel all soft and buttery - like new again!

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Perhaps routine cleaning is all the "conditioning" required? Or, you might consider using the same conditioning chemicals you regularily apply to your personal leather (as in your skin).

Disregard this comment if you are looking for a new leather, new car, aroma.

Jim

·
Registered
253 Posts
A leather customizer told me that the only thing he uses to clean is 100% mineral spirits and the only thing he uses to condition is mink oil. I found the mineral spirits at Murrays, but make sure it says 100% mineral spirits. I had an old SHO that I was trying to sell and one problem I had was getting the stains off the leather (don't ask). I tried maguires and blue coral - nothing. The mineral spirits and elbow grease licked those stains pretty good. The mineral spirits really dries out the leather, so be sure you condition soon after you use it. The mink oil gives the leather that soft showroom feel and look. You can find mink oil at a leather supply store, shoe repair, or just about anyplace they sell shoe polish. You can get a $5 tub of it that will last 2 years if you treat the leather once every 3 weeks in the summer. Yes, it is oil based. No, it will not stain your clothes unless you leave clumps all over the seats.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The armorall leather wipes that I have used before leave a film behind. I know that most cadillac dealerships use mink oil when they interior clean you r car and use it for showroom cars. I guess what I am looking for is something that will remove the stains the best. I have a neutral interior and my seats look horrible..what's the best for dirt removal

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used Zymol (cleaner and conditioner) and eagle one leather conditioner (liked them both). I tried mothers or meguire once and the smell was terrible. (don't remember which it was though).

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Only question that remains is...how often should the leather be "serviced"? Whenever it gets dirty, yea, but if you cannot physically see it becoming dirty, about how often should you plan on a year/ month/ etc?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts