Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones favorite feature on the XLR, (wether you own one or not)

I think the buttonless entry and not having to fool around with a key to start the car is awesome.....as is cooled seats!!! Anyone else?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
There a a lot of things I like about this car! I was also going to say the no-key ignition, but I like the Bvlgari remote that alerts the car to your presence, unlocks the door, and sets-up for you!! Usually I am not dazzled by technology, but for this car I am a believer!

I love the honey-colored eucalyptus veneer. I like lighter colors for wood, Canada and the U.S. seem to like the darker "cottage" look for wood color, but I'm with the Europeans on this one.

I like how the cruise control has a built in radar, and maintains a safe distance from the next car in front of you. However, this might get annoying if you want to pass someone, do you have to shut it off each time?

I like the fact the top is something that is not as vulnerable to vandals, as it is made of a magnesium and composite, and only takes 20 ***edited by buildingctsamg (you had minutes)*** seconds to go up or down with the press of a button. There is more, but I don't want to hog this thread.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Uhh... duh the Performance!!! Actually the cooled seats is getting more and more common but the Presence Remote thing is totally awesome, as is Sound system and the sheer power of the thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this is off the topic, but one of the coolest features i have had on any car was my maxda 626 which had oscillating air vents. More cars should have this option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The whole car is beautiful. I would not buy it for performance, but certainly for a top-down cruiser and gadget showcase. The cooled seats are excellent :coolgleam

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There's nothing like cruising in a Cadillac except cruising in a Cadillac with it's top down. The whole car works for me.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1998
51 Posts
In my opinion, the best thing it has it's the Manual Tap-up/Tap-down transmission ! Race Time !!
The buttonless entry is awesome too ... actually like you all said, everything about this car is cool !

Peace !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine for about a month now (red with black interior, license "CARGASM"). My ranking of the best features (I'm excluding the overall gorgeous look, since that is not, per se, a "feature"):

1. Fast (20 seconds) top up-down; and
2. Amazing radar-assist speed control. It really works, including applying some brake when someone cuts you off. And it speeds up nicely when the "coast is clear" again. It is better than the Mercedes 600, which I drove for awhile.
3. The cooled seats are great here in FL (particularly since I chose a black interior).
4. The integrated sound-navigation system is awesome, particularly the XM radio. I will be looking to purchase an aftermarket box that will enable the DVD player to work when not in "park" (For the passenger, of course, I would not want it to interfere with my cellphone use).
5. The performance is amazing. My other car is a supercharged Jag, but the Caddy XLR runs rings around it. The selectable gear transmission brings out the kid in me.
6. The voice-recognition personal calling.
7. The novelty of the keyless entry, while nice, and a great conversation piece, wears off after awhile. Its other aspects, like driver memory settings, have been around forever. I'd rank it as "cute".

On the negative side (albeit very minor issues):

A. Driver leg-room is ample (I'm 6'4"), but the foot controls should be adjustable. They are just too close.
B. Great trunk with the top up. But top down it holds 2 briefcases, and nothing more. And the trunk "barrier" (so that the top will know nothing is in its way) is quite cheesy. But heck, who buys this great car for cross-country trips. That's why God invented Beechcraft.
C. The "auto exit" system (moving the seat and steering wheel out of the way) is too slow. It only starts working when you push the door exit button, and the steering wheel adjusts last (it should be first).

I love this car, almost enough to insert a "smiley face" (but then someone would have to shoot me).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will take a hit for the team because I know your smiling.

;)

See that was more of a classic smile..lol

Great car and keep us updated on the number of imports you mess with.

Ty
Domestic Performance

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
RickAsper said:
I've had mine for about a month now (red with black interior, license "CARGASM"). My ranking of the best features (I'm excluding the overall gorgeous look, since that is not, per se, a "feature"):

1. Fast (20 seconds) top up-down; and
2. Amazing radar-assist speed control. It really works, including applying some brake when someone cuts you off. And it speeds up nicely when the "coast is clear" again. It is better than the Mercedes 600, which I drove for awhile.
3. The cooled seats are great here in FL (particularly since I chose a black interior).
4. The integrated sound-navigation system is awesome, particularly the XM radio. I will be looking to purchase an aftermarket box that will enable the DVD player to work when not in "park" (For the passenger, of course, I would not want it to interfere with my cellphone use).
5. The performance is amazing. My other car is a supercharged Jag, but the Caddy XLR runs rings around it. The selectable gear transmission brings out the kid in me.
6. The voice-recognition personal calling.
7. The novelty of the keyless entry, while nice, and a great conversation piece, wears off after awhile. Its other aspects, like driver memory settings, have been around forever. I'd rank it as "cute".

On the negative side (albeit very minor issues):

A. Driver leg-room is ample (I'm 6'4"), but the foot controls should be adjustable. They are just too close.
B. Great trunk with the top up. But top down it holds 2 briefcases, and nothing more. And the trunk "barrier" (so that the top will know nothing is in its way) is quite cheesy. But heck, who buys this great car for cross-country trips. That's why God invented Beechcraft.
C. The "auto exit" system (moving the seat and steering wheel out of the way) is too slow. It only starts working when you push the door exit button, and the steering wheel adjusts last (it should be first).

I love this car, almost enough to insert a "smiley face" (but then someone would have to shoot me).

Lucky bugger. :p I still want to know about the cruise control radar, if it becomes annoying if you have to shut it down all the time approaching cars on the highway? I don't know if I would find this annoying or not because you usually want to speed-up to pass a car, not slow down.

·
Registered
11 CTS Silver/Blk Coupe Prem AWD, 11 SRX Ice/Shale Perf FWD
53 Posts
Ralph go to the SRX section and u will learn how to watch the DVD while in motion--just look around and u will find the secret!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
XLRvman said:
Ralph go to the SRX section and u will learn how to watch the DVD while in motion--just look around and u will find the secret!
OK, I read about the "1791" code. How do you like the car?

I would use the code to watch something while parked, but never while driving! Not safe.

Do you have any pics posted of your car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK, Ok, already,
Keep light foot pressure on the accelerator and it overides the active cruise control. If you really want to have fun, take somebody for a ride on city streets and put the cruise on and put your legs over near the door. When the car in front of you comes to a complete stop at a light or stop street, the XLR will also come to a complete stop without hitting the car in front and not putting your foot on the brake. WARNING! be ready to put you foot on the brake when it stops. The cruise at this point will deactivate. It's like playing chicken.

·
Registered
54 Posts
standby said:
OK, Ok, already,
Keep light foot pressure on the accelerator and it overides the active cruise control. If you really want to have fun, take somebody for a ride on city streets and put the cruise on and put your legs over near the door. When the car in front of you comes to a complete stop at a light or stop street, the XLR will also come to a complete stop without hitting the car in front and not putting your foot on the brake. WARNING! be ready to put you foot on the brake when it stops. The cruise at this point will deactivate. It's like playing chicken.

Perhaps your XLR is different than mine, but if you try that trick you will end up with major front end damage. The system is not a collision avoidance apparatus, it is a cruise control system. It will slow the car down, but will not come to a complete stop. In fact, the system deactivates below 20 mph.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The point which wasn't taken very well, was, what other car do you know can do this? I think you where the one that said it wasn't a luxury car. I get mobbed by people who think it's better than chocolate chip cookies and milk. I sure didn't mean to imply that the cruise control was anymore than a cruise control with some save guards built in. I don't really know at what speed mine kicks off, but the bells and red flashing lights in the dash is distracting enough, when you looking at the rear end of a stopped car that you are approaching and are covering the brake with your foot. Did you really believe that I would not cover my brake and put people in my car at risk as well as others on the road? Sorry, but your comments sounded like you were talking to a child.

·
Registered
54 Posts
standby said:
The point which wasn't taken very well, was, what other car do you know can do this? I think you where the one that said it wasn't a luxury car. I get mobbed by people who think it's better than chocolate chip cookies and milk. I sure didn't mean to imply that the cruise control was anymore than a cruise control with some save guards built in. I don't really know at what speed mine kicks off, but the bells and red flashing lights in the dash is distracting enough, when you looking at the rear end of a stopped car that you are approaching and are covering the brake with your foot. Did you really believe that I would not cover my brake and put people in my car at risk as well as others on the road? Sorry, but your comments sounded like you were talking to a child.
Wow, slow down there partner. You specifically stated that your car will come to a complete stop if confronted by a fixed object, ie, another car in your path. The radar-assisted cruise control on my XLR is not capable of that, all I did was point out an obvious difference between your car and mine. Just to make sure you are quoted correctly, here are your own words.

"Keep light foot pressure on the accelerator and it overides the active cruise control. If you really want to have fun, take somebody for a ride on city streets and put the cruise on and put your legs over near the door. When the car in front of you comes to a complete stop at a light or stop street, the XLR will also come to a complete stop without hitting the car in front and not putting your foot on the brake. WARNING! be ready to put you foot on the brake when it stops. The cruise at this point will deactivate. It's like playing chicken."

You state that the car will brake to a COMPLETE stop and only then will you need to apply brake pressure to maintain a stationary position. Where in this have a mis-interpreted your post, or treated you in a childish manner? I simply read a post that I know contains extremely incorrect information and brought it to your attention. How you perceive that response is your own business.

In fact, your closing point that "it's like playing chicken" is quite childish, I would have expected something a bit more mature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts