Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son, 18, is saving money from his job and wants to buy a late 80's / early 90's DeVille or Fleetwood for under $5K. He's partial to the RWD models but given we're in Michigan and he plans to use it as a daily driver, I think he should look at FWD models. What year / model would you recommend?

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
There are plenty...... for these years though, the Fleetwood was pretty much the same as the DeVille.... all were FWD.

I can recomend the '91-'93 DeVille, '93 (lime mine) was the last year for the Coupe DeVille. my '93 CDV is my first car. I did alot of reasearch on the engine and car, and everything came out very well..... these engines are very ncie, alot of power, very smooth, and with normal maintenance, can go well into 200k+ mile.

If interested in a RWD car, check out the '87-'98 Brougham, it is huge, full body-on-frame, and RWD, but came stock with the Olds 307, which means the car is slow, but a built 350 could be dropped in, and really make it a sleeper. The Olds 307 is not a bad engine though, and very reliable, and will never die. You can get a mint, realativly low millage '89 Brougham for about $2500

or find a '91-'92 Brougham with the 350...... then '93-'96 was the all new Fleetwood with the LT1, but they are going for more then $5k

to sum it up, I would say, look at a '87-'92 Brougham or a '91-'93 DeVille (I like the Coupes)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
He could also look into an eldorado or seville..... also nice choices.....

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Panther said:
then '93-'96 was the all new Fleetwood with the LT1, but they are going for more then $5k
If you seek the last Fleetwood, look for a '94-'96. Many people prefer the '95 with new mirrors and OBD1. Stay far away from the '93.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
If you're looking FWD, look for anything with a 4.9 engine, the rest of the car will be purely subjective styling. If you want RWD, I would suggest the '92 Brougham (older more square style), or the '95 Fleetwood (last iteration of the RWD Caddy). These two years are the best of their particular body style and if you look hard, you MAY be able to get the '95 in your price range but it will PROBABLY need work since the average price should be double that.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
got my 1994 deville 4.9 for $4900 invested 500 bucks so far and its pretty damn solid transportation now with 115,000 on the clock , still a far cry from my old infiniti G20 but it costed 3 times what i paid for the deville and this time around im going to collage and want to save money , cant do it with a car payment and autocrossing on the side (not to mention all the hot rod parts i bought for the G20)

problem is in michigan id think most 80s-90s FWD caddys will have tons of rust from all the salt you guys use on the roads

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yea..... and the 93-96 FWs have that little spot right behind the wheel well that ALWAYS has rust on it.... sometimes not blatenly obvious, but there.... On our fleetwood (36k), it is just some bubbling on one side...... No biggie to get fixed...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
elwesso said:
Yea..... and the 93-96 FWs have that little spot right behind the wheel well that ALWAYS has rust on it.... sometimes not blatenly obvious, but there.... On our fleetwood (36k), it is just some bubbling on one side...... No biggie to get fixed...
That's a first for me. I NEVER had any rust there on ANY of our Fleetwoods :confused:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input! I hope he uses it. If he does as he plans, and doesn't use me as his bank, I don't have as much influence on his decision.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
We have it on our fleetwood, and I have checked out many FWs on ebay, and they have it!

It seems worse on the drivers side..... thats the only place we have it, and the spot isnt bigger than a quarter......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey HotRodSaint:

Just curious as to why you say to stay away from 93 Fleetwodds? I have one with 187K miles on it. No major problems and runs great. Current issue I'm working is to clear intermittent ABD/Traction control warning light.

Just curious. I've never been able to find one in a junk yard for parts but I see them on the road everywhere.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
countysligo said:
Hey HotRodSaint:

Just curious as to why you say to stay away from 93 Fleetwodds? I have one with 187K miles on it. No major problems and runs great. Current issue I'm working is to clear intermittent ABD/Traction control warning light.

Just curious. I've never been able to find one in a junk yard for parts but I see them on the road everywhere.
The only reason to stay away from them, is for the engine performance. GM introduced the improved LT1 in '94. This is essentially the Impala SS engine. So there is a variety of performance upgrades available, many of them just simple bolt on items.

So the best years to do performance upgrades would be '94-'95. I prefer the late mirrors, so that would make it '95.

But I happen to own a '96, which because of it's OBDII is a bit more expensive to reprogram.

But the '93 has the same classic style, and if performance isn't the goal, it's still a good looking car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
HotRodSaint