Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have not owned a Cadillac in a long time and admit that I am not very knowledgeable.
I have during my life so far owned a 69 Fleetwood, a 74 Deville and a 92 Deville.
We now live in South Florida and I am considering purchasing a "vintage" Cadillac to drive to the golf courses. I need something I can pick up cheaply and that appears to be Cadillacs from the Mid 70's to Mid 80's. I know that there were a lot of issues during the mid to late 80's and into the 90's so I am hoping those who are knowledgeable about these years can tell me which years and models are most reliable and which to avoid. I won't be putting 20k a year on this but will probably be logging 7k or more per year. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
I will be quick to second that thought.
Really not a bad choice in those years as long as you avoid the 4100 engine.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

·
Registered
NONE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talismandave I notice you live in Madison WI. We moved down here to the greater Ft Lauderdale FL area about 5 1/2 years ago from Mineral point WI just south west of Madison.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Wise move!
Storing a perfectly good Cadillac 5 month out of the year sucks....

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Get a picture of every year you are interested in and ask your wife which one she likes best.......and buy that year.
Easier that way.
Jeff

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Personally, I think the build quality and rust resistance improved greatly with the redesign/downsize in 1977. In 1981, they started downsizing the engines.
Everyone has their own opinion, of course, but I think 1977-79 are some of the best years for the full-size Deville/Fleetwood. The 425 is solid, dependable, and powerful. They are still affordable, and available, and values seem to be creeping up now for one in good condition.

But I like Jeff R's advice, too :) With my wife, though, the color and condition of the cars in the photos would be more of an influence than the body style/year.

·
Registered
'10 CTS V
44 Posts
Hi Tim,

Are you interested in a 2 door or a 4 door model? If you'd like the last of the largest Caddys, and your garage can accommodate 19' 3" or more, I'd suggest a '76. It's the same chassis as your '74 with a 500 CID engine. If you prefer a slightly smaller car the '77 thru '80 models utilized a smaller displacement (either the 425 and later the 368) based on the same block as the '71-'76 models. I'm partial to the more formal roof line of the '80 Brougham models. The links below provide some more information for research and a few sample cars that are listed on the net. The vehicles for sale are not mine and I have no connection with the sellers. There many other cars out there at various prices and in various conditions. I've used ebay motors, Hemmings.com, craigslist, autotraderclassic.com and google to search for available cars. Best of luck

For Specs thru '76: http://automotivemileposts.com/contentscadillac.shtml

Sales Brochures: http://www.lov2xlr8.no/cadillac.html

1976 CDV: http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.com/1976-cadillac-coupe-deville/

1980 CDV: http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.com/1980-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham-coupe/

1980 SDV: http://www.mjcclassiccars.com/1980-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham/

----------

·
Registered
1981 Cadillac Eldorado 6.0L
11 Posts
I just purchased a 1981 Eldorado and am in the process of having it restored. I did drive it for almost a year before putting it in the shop and I really fell in love with it. People say all kinds of negative things about the early 80's Eldorado's; but in reality it's 82-85 that you want to stay away from.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I just purchased a 1981 Eldorado and am in the process of having it restored. I did drive it for almost a year before putting it in the shop and I really fell in love with it. People say all kinds of negative things about the early 80's Eldorado's; but in reality it's 82-85 that you want to stay away from.
I understood that as long if you let the 6.0 run permanently on 8 cils it is a all good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep I had a switch put in my 81 Eldo where I can turn the feature on and off. I only use the V8-6-4 feature when I drive long distance on the highway. The 81' 6.0L engine is one of the best engines cadillac has ever made in my opinion. The 82-85 went to a 4.1L with an aluminum block. Those are the engines that almost sunk the ship.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Yep I had a switch put in my 81 Eldo where I can turn the feature on and off. I only use the V8-6-4 feature when I drive long distance on the highway. The 81' 6.0L engine is one of the best engines cadillac has ever made in my opinion. The 82-85 went to a 4.1L with an aluminum block. Those are the engines that almost sunk the ship.
And even that 4100 engine is not bad. It's just that it requires the correct maintenance with the correct fluids and correct intervals. Since people like to DIY, typically second owner and onwards, (often with wrong fluids and intervals) it's just this engine is not that robust that it can take that and WILL cause problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your are 100% correct on the 4100. I think the biggest legit knock on that engine is the overall power out put. I have read quite a lot about the 4100 and a ton of people say it just doesn't have the get up and go that most big block caddy's do.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,623 Posts
A 1976 or earlier Fleetwood Brougham, will most likely Not fit in 99% or more garages down here. Other than that as was stated, stay away from a 4.1 engine. RWDs are easier to maintain, so that leave out all Eldorados in your year range as well as most Sevilles (from about 1980 on) and DeVilles from 1985 on.

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
504 Posts
The best Cadillac there is........is the Cadillac/s you own.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts