Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
$425 for the tires or tires and mounting/balancing? What do you want out of the tires (long life, handling)?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: Best all season tiers for 2003 SLS

Title spelling corrected.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
I picked up some "used" tires off eBay for $400. The tread depth was 8/32 - 10/32, slightly less than brand new and they came from a company with great reviews. They say on the site that tires may have been professionally patched. One of the tires was patched when it arrived and it was done correctly from the inside. The other three seemed new and it saved me about $300 for the same set from TireRack. After purchasing tires from TireRack rated for 40K and only getting 13K, I was unhappy at how poor the warranty process worked. As long as I can find tires this way, I'll continue to do it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I picked up some "used" tires off eBay for $400. The tread depth was 8/32 - 10/32, slightly less than brand new and they came from a company with great reviews. They say on the site that tires may have been professionally patched. One of the tires was patched when it arrived and it was done correctly from the inside. The other three seemed new and it saved me about $300 for the same set from TireRack. After purchasing tires from TireRack rated for 40K and only getting 13K, I was unhappy at how poor the warranty process worked. As long as I can find tires this way, I'll continue to do it.
==========================
I was unhappy at how poor the warranty process worked.
and now you have NO warranty -

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
"Best" and "budget" don't typically go together. Elaborate some more . What is your defjnition of 'best'? I like my Michelins, and I'll go with that brand agian. I don't think I can get 4, mounted and balanced for $425.

·
19,270 Posts
I am on a budget for $425.
========================
if your total budget is $425 -
including mounting/balancing and taxes -
you are limited to a $75 tire -

and you won't get the "best" anything for that -

-------------------------------

I did find the Goodyear Intregrity for $69 -
http://www.walmart.com/browse/special-buy-tires/0/0/?_refineresult=true&_be_shelf_id=2640&search_sort=100&facet=shelf_id:2640&athcpid=NTysr3Yg&athpgid=athenaHomepage&athznid=athenaModuleZone&athmtid=AthenaPOVStory&athena=true

or the Goodyear Viva for $79 -

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Warranty was useless. If these only last 20K, I'll buy another set. No sense in spending $700 again to get 13K and $80 credit for new ones.

·
19,270 Posts
Warranty was useless. If these only last 20K, I'll buy another set. No sense in spending $700 again to get 13K and $80 credit for new ones.
============================
here is a couple things to think about -

WHERE do these "almost-new" tires come from? -

WHY would someone replace an "almost-new" tire? -

YES - I do have the answer -
they come from the big tire chain stores -
who sold the aftermarket "road-hazard warranty" -

these are the "defective" tires that the manufacturer will not warranty -

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Installed a set of General Altimax HPs a few thousand miles ago. So far so good and I think with shipping, mounting/balancing they will fall right into your budget. Reviews put them above average, so far I would agree. I do my own alignments, so I was able to tailor handling a bit to get it how I like it. I plan on regular rotations, hoping for 50-70k.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
So is "best" down to what fits a $425 budget? Might as well change the topic to refine the responses. Where is the OP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts