Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ok 94 STS...A/C compressor has a bad bearing so of course it makes all kinds of lovely racket when the engine is under load. What I would like to know, does anybody know if there is a belt made for any car that is the right length to run everything except the ac compressor? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sean

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
Hello, ok 94 STS...A/C compressor has a bad bearing so of course it makes all kinds of lovely racket when the engine is under load. What I would like to know, does anybody know if there is a belt made for any car that is the right length to run everything except the ac compressor? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sean
Hey Sean, I have a similar problem, dead compressor. The fix is available, but it'll take a bit of work. With the compressor still installed, you have to measure your belt length, but adjust your routing to eliminate the compressor pulley. Did that make sense ? The problem is that Caddy din't offer the cars without A\C, so they don't list a belt for it. There's no way to estimate the length, so you need to measure, then get 1 that length, 1 slighlty shorter, and 1 slightly longer. Then take back the 2 that don't fit.
Another thing to remember, you have to remove the compressor because it'll be in the way. Carefully plug the lines to keep crap out, and then remove all fuses that control the A\C and compressor. Make sure to secure the lines, hoses and wiring where they can't get into anything. When you're ready to fix it, things should still be in decent shape.
And also, you'll not have as good a defroster without the compressor.
Just some things to keep in mind.
Bob

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It would be easier to repair the bad hub vs removing the compressor. With the correct tools the hub repair is fairly easy and can be done on the car. It can also be replaced without having to mess with the freon at all.

You should be able to find a AC hub bearing assembly for about $60-70US.

Logan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Sean McDonald