Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was watching "The Island" a few nights ago. When they got to the car scene, there was that half-second I went "Hey -that's my car!!!" Of course it wasn't an ELR because the film was done in 2005, but wow - it's pretty obvious to see the Converj came from the Cien! There's so many of the same lines and lines that are there but moved around. Even on the hood, the same lines but just moved back and not so deep.

I think if they made a Cad that looked like the Cien with a big engine/generator to replace the 1.4ltr and make it be the muscle car with the exhaust note to match as a direct i8 competitor. It would get double the lame electric range of the i8 and as long as it was an under 5 second car it would get respect from the "has to be fast" crowd.

I personally think the small generator of the ELR (which is totally fine for most things) is a big turnoff for a lot of people. If it has to have a generator, why not just make it sound like a Jag when it kicks on?

I'm pretty impressed that they made such a kick-ass car clear back in 2002. And it still looks bad-ass. Cadillac just makes some of the best concept cars. Too bad they just can't follow through with a workable, saleable product. The Elmiraj is still one of my all time favorites.

But here's that Cien if anyone hasn't seen it...
Cadillac-Cien-side-front.jpg Cadillac-Cien-rear.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
FYI, I was able to talk to the Converj designer Brian Smith and he said it was drawn up to evoke a mid-engine look. So there you go. Also, it would be good to see Cadillac take advantage of that new mid-engined Vette architecture in some way. Just saying...

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. I can certainly see how the Cien invoked a mid-engine look...the Converj not so much but I like the idea. I mean I could see a ELR with the back seats gone and more room for a big rear hatch opening like the XK, and the front seats moved just ever so slightly for the body stretch to "cab foward" design. That's what the iPace did, but it's a hair too much cab forward for me.

Personally I like the ELR/Converj better than the Cien, but that being said I like the headlights a bit better on the Cien.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a fan of all of the hardcore Art & Science cars.
You know what's funny about your statement is that I was just thinking this morning about how there's 2 types of car people. One, the "car guy/gal" who loves cars and appreciates the look, the lines, and presence of certain cars (of whom anyone who buys an ELR is already in that crowd), and then the other type who really never sees a car as ART, just a tool for getting a job done such as basic transport.

I have run into so many people who have said a car such as the FPace which is truly a beautiful SUV from ALL angles looks the same as "all the rest of the SUVs". WHAT??? I can't believe that so many people can't appreciate the design work and artistry behind making some truly amazing cars out there, whether it be the converj or Jag or timeless lines of some of those cars back in the 40's. I say anyone who makes the statement that a FPace looks the same as a Kia should never be allowed to own a beautiful car... and maybe that's why they sell so many Prius's :thehand:

·
Registered
111 Posts
You know what's funny about your statement is that I was just thinking this morning about how there's 2 types of car people. One, the "car guy/gal" who loves cars and appreciates the look, the lines, and presence of certain cars (of whom anyone who buys an ELR is already in that crowd), and then the other type who really never sees a car as ART, just a tool for getting a job done such as basic transport.

I have run into so many people who have said a car such as the FPace which is truly a beautiful SUV from ALL angles looks the same as "all the rest of the SUVs". WHAT??? I can't believe that so many people can't appreciate the design work and artistry behind making some truly amazing cars out there, whether it be the converj or Jag or timeless lines of some of those cars back in the 40's. I say anyone who makes the statement that a FPace looks the same as a Kia should never be allowed to own a beautiful car... and maybe that's why they sell so many Prius's :thehand:
The FPace looks like a BMW or something. Sorry but it just doesn't pop!

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The FPace looks like a BMW or something. Sorry but it just doesn't pop!
Ugh...was that just being facetious? Let the automotive religious wars start! I don't like the looks too much of any BMW SUV especially the new one. My wife gets stopped all the time, mostly other women, who tell her that they love her car. That being said, it has to have the right wheels and etc. Obviously everyone is wired different, but I'd be willing to bet you $10 that you pull ten people off the street (uh not homeless people no offense) and ask them what's the better looking car a FPace S or a BMW SUV (any model) and the Jag will win - everytime.

here's the wife car...

Odyssey red FPace R.jpg

If it still doesn't pop, they have pills for that :stirpot:.... To each their own though, I'm glad there's not a million running around out there that would take the novelty out of owning one, and personally loving the fact that I never see another ELR when I'm driving around

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know what you're saying about design but your comment about Kia doesn't really work. May I suggest Toyota or Honda? As a brand, Kia has one of the best designed full lineups in the industry. Peter Schreyer and team did an amazing job with styling.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right sir, Kia is definitely one of the better designed Asian cars. I shouldn't have picked a certain brand, maybe Subaru instead whose body styles don't seem to change for 50 years. Everybody sees beauty differently THANK GOD or we'd all be going after the same girl for a wife... I don't see the allure to a lot of brands like Audi for example. I just hate the grills on Audi's but there's a lot of people who like them because they sell boatloads of them. I actually have never been a Cad fan until recently. Now Cadillacs really turn my head where they didn't before. So tastes change. I think what really did it for me is the long thin lighting on the front edges of the car. It looks so sharp when you see a Cad coming at you. The only unfortunate thing is the car has to be on to see the beauty of the lights.... Another funny thing is how wheels can add so much to a car, just changing color! I had mine powder coated black and every single person that's seen the car before and after has told me it looks 100 times better with the black wheels. Preference of course, but at least that's what people tell me so not my opinion but theirs.

Has anyone paid attention to the CT6 PHEV? Wow, the tech is amazing and they're already going for cheap. If no more ELRS were available I'd jump on a CT6 for sure. The night vision and green lighting on the steering wheel for automatic driving is so cool. If only I could justify owning both cars....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just hate the grills on Audi's but there's a lot of people who like them because they sell boatloads of them.
Audi & BMW (and Genesis as well) have decided that Bigger=Better when it comes to grilles.
It's not. They're not approaching the horror show that is Lexus, but they're working on it. New BMW, beaver/pig face.
Cadillac and MB are holding the line on that nonsense and looking better for it.

I actually have never been a Cad fan until recently. Now Cadillacs really turn my head where they didn't before. So tastes change. I think what really did it for me is the long thin lighting on the front edges of the car. It looks so sharp when you see a Cad coming at you. The only unfortunate thing is the car has to be on to see the beauty of the lights.... Another funny thing is how wheels can add so much to a car
Cadillacs are unmistakable even from a block away.
The wife's XTS Platinum has both LED packages so it looks cool inside and out when it's all lit up.
Of course, the 20" wheels look good as well.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't agree with you more.

"They're not approaching the horror show that is Lexus" HAHAHA spot on... but apparently, some people like that... I don't mind it on the LC500 but on their SUVs I hate it. Definitely a polarizing feature I think...either love it or hate it.

Yes totally agree that you see a new Cadillac with those long thin lights coming at you a long ways away. Love it. Real head turner for me!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone paid attention to the CT6 PHEV? Wow, the tech is amazing and they're already going for cheap. If no more ELRS were available I'd jump on a CT6 for sure. The night vision and green lighting on the steering wheel for automatic driving is so cool. If only I could justify owning both cars....
They are nice, but only a handful made it here - made in China with limited US consumption. Far more scarce than the 2016 ELR, which is already plenty scarce.

ELR / Volt powertrain is better if you like a lot of pure EV driving. CT6 PHEV is a big heavy car, and you can't force it to stay in electric only mode once the engine load is high enough. I wouldn't say you have to baby it, but when you want to launch you are engaging the gas engine - no option not to do so. Same operation as the Honda Clarity, which uses the same GM tech through an established partnership. Ironic that the ELR / Volt / CT6 PHEV are dead, but the Clarity lives on with respectable sales. Nice interior - fugly exterior from every angle.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I didn't know you can't Hold mode until the end on a CT6...bummer. I also learned that you can't put the rear seats down like the ELR which is real drag for me. I have 2 miniature Schnauzers and I need someplace to put them and not on a nice seat. When I put the seats down on my ELR and a towel draped across the whole back, the dogs seem to like riding back there more than any car they've been in... They get in thru the trunk and go crawl up on the seats and they're happy.

I'm still trying to figure out if the PHEV CT6 had AWD... I read conflicting reports about that. I was ever into buying a CT6 because I like the tech and power and front end, it would have to be the PHEV, AWD and the 34 speaker system. I don't know if they made that or not.... I can't seem to figure that out.

On another note, I wonder if they've discontinued the models mentioned because they might make something along the concepts? It's my opinion that CAdillac makes the best concept cars ever - every one of them is so cool. So, hoping they make the Escala to replace the CT6...

Cadillac-Escala-Concept-101.jpg

And what seems like the thickest door ever...

cadillac-escala-concept-inline1-photo-670471-s-original.jpg

Those babies should stop a RPG for sure....

Totally agree on the Clarity. It's clear the designers were going after what looks like a transporter accident on the Enterprise...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if the PHEV CT6 had AWD... I read conflicting reports about that. I was ever into buying a CT6 because I like the tech and power and front end, it would have to be the PHEV, AWD and the 34 speaker system. I don't know if they made that or not.... I can't seem to figure that out.
The PHEV version of the CT6 is rear wheel drive only. Also, from the outside it is identical to a regular CT6, and even on the inside there isn't much difference. In that regard, the ELR is far more unique across the board.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for clearing that up because somewhere I read they did not make it sound like you couldn't get the CT6 in AWD, so I had a hope.... I think no AWD, no seat to fold down as a (pup) pass through would be a deal killer. If you say you can't force it to stay in Hold mode... another nail in the coffin. Nice car though... I like the front end. I'm so glad that Cad has not taken to the gigonzo bow-tie air vents on the bottom front like so many others. Acura probably leading the way in huge fake bow-tie looking air scoops. And I used to like Acura styling- ugh..not anymore.

·
2016 ELR
55 Posts
As a Clarity owner I can tell you it takes effort to turn on the gas engine on accident. And I like the way it looks! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you say you can't force it to stay in Hold mode... another nail in the coffin.
The CT6 PHEV has Hold (and Mountain) modes, just like the ELR. Runs the gas engine, and reserves battery power. What it doesn't have is a pure EV mode, unless you always stay under about half throttle or so. Exceed that and the gas engine will kick on.

One thing the CT6 PHEV has over the ELR is brake hold, and more regen settings. Same as the Honda Clarity, which use effectively the same drivetrain tech - just sized differently.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The CT6 PHEV has Hold (and Mountain) modes, just like the ELR. Runs the gas engine, and reserves battery power. What it doesn't have is a pure EV mode, unless you always stay under about half throttle or so. Exceed that and the gas engine will kick on.

One thing the CT6 PHEV has over the ELR is brake hold, and more regen settings. Same as the Honda Clarity, which use effectively the same drivetrain tech - just sized differently.
Could you enlighten me on "more regen modes?" I'd love to know about that. Before buying the ELR I knew it had a regen paddle but did not understand that it was more than the off-the-pedal regen as in i3. I'm sure anyone who lives in the hills can sure appreciate having regen. When we moved out to where we did there's a lot of local hills, some pretty steep. I had the i3 at the time so knew my car would love no brakes-all regen going downhill. But driving my wifes car it's the same old visualization of seeing gas blasting through the fuel injectors and riding the brake for dear life coming down and I HATE that.... we went for a drive yesterday in the ELR and went all over the place looking at houses just for kicks and with the normal regen and the paddle, I never had to use the brake except for full stops and some of those hills were really steep. I think if they loaned people cars like this who live in the hills they'd sell a lot more of them...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Could you enlighten me on "more regen modes?" I'd love to know about that.
As implemented on the CT6 PHEV, the two paddles are effectively repurposed to allow the regen amount to be set. The left paddle (-) increases regen, and the right one (+) decreases it. The paddle effect is momentary (like the ELR), or continuous (kinda like L gear) depending on driving mode. Basically allows you to set the magnitude of regen, effectively allowing for one pedal driving in the strongest regen mode, or more of a coast if you don't like the slam on the 'virtual' brakes feel.

This all differs from the ELR where pressing either pedal is just one level, with duplicate function for both left and right paddles. Also deletes the 'L' (low) driving mode - replaced with 'M' (manual).

Additional info below...

Page 240 details regen

Perhaps you'll get lucky and someone with a CT6 PHEV can comment more. Or maybe the Honda Clarity owners can chime in as it is largely the same. There is this video which shows it in action for the Clarity. Honda calls their modes different names than Cadillac, but the operation is the same...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts