Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to upgrade from my chevy cavalier to a seville. I wanted to know how reliable the air suspension is. I keep finding horror stories about how the air bags go bad and you spend a thousand bucks or more on repairs. I am soon to be a college student so i dont really want to have to deal with that. Should i still get a cadillac? Also, does the 4.6 northstar really get aoubt 26mpg?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
:welcome:

They do not have "air bags". The rear shocks are air assisted with a rubber boot that inflates to level the rear end. They are pretty reliable. You may be talking about the older CVRSS (active struts). They are more problematic and expensive. The newer "Magnaride" struts have no moving parts and thus are less problematic. Your other option is to look for an SLS with passive struts (much less expensive).

Yes the LD8 Northstar (SLS) will get an easy 26 MPG on the highway. The L37 (STS) will get slightly less.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
:welcome::welcome:

They don't have Air Suspension
a STS will have the CVRSS standard
and the SLS will have it optional
the CVRSS is the Active Suspension in the front and the rear is active and also has a air blader for Electronic Level Control

if you get a 98-04 Seville with the F45 option then you can be looking at a price anywhere from 700-1200 per corner depending on where you get it and wwhat kind of deals you might get
this is if you choose to go OEM
so yes its not cheap
there is also a F55 on the 02 1.2 and 03 sts

the 4.6 in the SLS can get you about 26mpg on the highway easy id say
the STS your probalby going to get around 23 or 24mpg

you did not mention what year you are lookinng at are you thinkging of a 98-04 body style or 93-97 ?

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking into a 1997 sls. Sorry for not using the right terms, i had thought that the sevilles had the air suspension since the Devilles did (or at least i think they do). The seville i found has 90 thousand on it and for 3000 i thought it was looking like a pretty sweet deal. I am just a high schooler so i'm still learning :D

I am looking forward to a car that doesnt have acorns stuck in the hood bracing that roll back and forth when you open the hood (true story haha).

Thanks for the help and any further comments/suggestions

Oh, and insurance i am assuming isnt horrible considering it is a four door?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I am looking into a 1997 sls. Sorry for not using the right terms, i had thought that the sevilles had the air suspension since the Devilles did (or at least i think they do). The seville i found has 90 thousand on it and for 3000 i thought it was looking like a pretty sweet deal. I am just a high schooler so i'm still learning :D

I am looking forward to a car that doesnt have acorns stuck in the hood bracing that roll back and forth when you open the hood (true story haha).

Thanks for the help and any further comments/suggestions

Oh, and insurance i am assuming isnt horrible considering it is a four door?

being a 4 door or 2 door i have not really found these to determine what ins rates are
they take into account lots of things like what ppl drive these as how do they drive them
what the area you live in and are insured in is
lots of things come into account with ins rates

one question for you
can you aford to spend 2000-3000 on your first year of ownership cause do you really know what the car has been threw in its life how its been taken care of of
you have atleast im guessing 1200 for INS probably if not more since your in highschool sometimes they might give good studen discounts for good grades they did that when i was in highschool

unless you can do work yourself
your upkeep is going to be around the same as a 45k car new cause thats what the car cost or atleast around there when it was new

you might luck out and not have to spend anything on repairs the first year or you might not

even a oil change on our sevilles are exspensive cause you have 1.5 qt's more oil then the avg shop gives on a oil change so they charge extra

lots of things to think about but i know im the last one to talk
just look at my stats they will scare alot away from a seville lol

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
i had thought that the sevilles had the air suspension since the Devilles did
They ALL have the rear air assist (ELC -Electronic Level Control).

Make sure that the car has no overheating problems and that the owner has not just changed the thermostat or water pump or any other cooling system component because it was overheating.

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
being a 4 door or 2 door i have not really found these to determine what ins rates are
they take into account lots of things like what ppl drive these as how do they drive them
what the area you live in and are insured in is
lots of things come into account with ins rates

one question for you
can you aford to spend 2000-3000 on your first year of ownership cause do you really know what the car has been threw in its life how its been taken care of of
you have atleast im guessing 1200 for INS probably if not more since your in highschool sometimes they might give good studen discounts for good grades they did that when i was in highschool

unless you can do work yourself
your upkeep is going to be around the same as a 45k car new cause thats what the car cost or atleast around there when it was new

you might luck out and not have to spend anything on repairs the first year or you might not

even a oil change on our sevilles are exspensive cause you have 1.5 qt's more oil then the avg shop gives on a oil change so they charge extra

lots of things to think about but i know im the last one to talk
just look at my stats they will scare alot away from a seville lol
Thanks for the advice. i pay 720 a year for my four door cavalier insurance because we live in the middle of nowhere and insurance is cheap. I have a part time job and my cavalier is worth 2000 trade according to kbb. I do all my own maintenance on my vehicle (on the cavalier: water pump, plugs, thermostat, valve cover gasket, oil changes, etc). Then i have good savings and i figure if i can get the car for 2800 i would still be in ok financial condition (i budget my money well i believe).

I really need to go look at it and get it check for compression, etc. I would post the craigslist dealership post but it wont let me post a link because i havent had enough account activity yet.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
A compression check won't tell you much. That is never a problem on these engines anyway. If anything, do a block test to check for exhaust gases in the surge tank.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
id say as long as it does not have any sighns of overheating or HG issues then you would be safe with that if your doing your own work
the biggest problem you may ever have with this car or you may not is the head gaskets
some say its a comon problem some argue with it that its not a really common issue
i am sceptical on it
i am one who belives its not if it blows its when it blows thats how i feel about it
id check also the coolant see if there are records or how often the coolant has been services just because it says to service every 5 years 100k does not mean the coolant can go that long
nothing lasts that long i don't belive so if its been done every 3 years your safe as long as there are no sighns of hg's or over heating
also you should do a block test on it or a leak down test to make sure its all good

·
Registered
1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille
244 Posts
Since you're used to FWD cars, a 4.6 Northstar should not scare you. Make sure you read the "sticky" post on how to pull codes, and do so before you buy the car. That'll indicate any current problems, and the history.
If it checks out, and you're willing to be diligent about preventative maintenance (and at your studies), you'll have a very comfortable, quiet ride! (That 2.0 or 2.2 Chevy could wake the dead, and is only marginally better in MPG). And, this is a luxury car, not a sport coupe.

Good Luck in your acquisition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts