Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Eldorado, 91 Sedan DeVille, 91, Fleewtwood, 92 Brougham
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so they're not completely finished and they will never be perfect, but.....

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned them first with saddle soap then used rubbing alcohol on them. I then used the cheap leather/vinyl repair kit that you can get just about anywhere to level the worst of the cracks...let that dry overnight...sanded it smooth...wiped with alcohol and then used dye to reapply the original color.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
That's just amazing! You could go into business. Tap all those guys with XJ-12s and Bimmer convertibles with seats that look like the mojave desert.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you please do my drivers seat?
I'd be honored!...bring 'er on by!!!

Actually, is your leather discolored and worn a bit or is it cracked or in need of patching? If it is just worn, you can bring back the original color and look easily with dye only. I used it on my 04 Sierra that had pewter interior and made it a two tone (pewter with dk. pewter inserts)...it was just to plain for me!

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Did you take any precautions to stop the dye from rubbing off onto clothes?

That looks real good, my drivers seat could use the same treatment, I read about using shoe repair dye but also heard it will get on clothes.

Any Tips?

Mine is like yours was, just some cracks, but no rips or tears.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once it dries it will not rub off on clothing or anything else for that matter. I dyed the seats in my truck 2 years ago and they look the same today as they did the day I did it...hasn't rubbed off or worn away at all. I do, however, only use dye that is made for such applications...I'd be scared to use shoe polish or dye, but maybe that would work???

·
Registered
97 Cadillac DeVille
23 Posts
Those are two different seats look at the ninth button... Just playing THE SEAT LOOKS GREAT. I NEED TO DO MINES TOO. The driver seat in my deville is starting to crack. SO all I need is saddle soap alcohol(what is the alcohol used 4?) cheap repair kit and color dye think my color is the shale is the color code easy to find GREAT JOB

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your seats aren't dirty (mine were) you don't even need the saddle soap...and I just used dollar store rubbing alcohol. You just need to make sure you have a clean dry surface. Then use the repair compound to fill in the cracks...don't even worry about color matching the dye will cover it completely (I've even used bright yellow before). Once the compound is dry sand it smooth (repeat the compound and sanding till your happy with the texture...mine could have used another go round but I was in a hurry). Once you have it smooth you can apply the dye with a soft brush, foam brush or you can spray it on. Applying the dye is the most difficult of the tasks...it takes a little patience and application of multiple coats to get a nice even natural look. Spaying it looks really good if done right, but it's easy to get runs. I stick to the brush applications. I've been very pleased with leather magic's dye its easy to use and stores well. You can get complete kits from them, but all you really need is the dye, which will most likely require a phone call to them as their individual items page is usually not up and working. I also have some of their cloth dye which I purchased to fix the sun fading of the front pillars at the windshield...I'll let you know how that works!!!

Anyway, its simple, fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You did a great stuff :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts