Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado Doral, 95 Deville w/4.9 (traded)
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Cadillac Eldorado with 112,xxx miles

Had the headgasket repair done at Midwest Cadillac by Joe at 97,xxx miles

Been running like a dream ever since. About a week and a half ago im driving on i-294 in the Chicago area and notice the engine light come on.

also the rpm would not go past 3,000 so I ran onboard diagnostics and get code: P0741 TCC Stuck Off. :rant2:

How long can I go before I need to get this repaired, I imagine it involves rebuilding the transmission?

Thanks appreciate the feedback :worship:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
RPM should go all the way to redline. Mine does even with that code.

Unless you have to pass an emissions test, you can clear and ignore it. It's been discussed many, many times. Do a search for it. there is LOTS of info on it. IF you wan t to repair it, yes it requires another drivetrain removal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have til the end of May before I have to do the Illinois emissions. Would I damage the engine running it on 3 while on the expressway to trick the onboard after I clear the codes?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
I have til the end of May before I have to do the Illinois emissions. Would I damage the engine running it on 3 while on the expressway to trick the onboard after I clear the codes?
---------------------------------------
driving in 3rd gear will NOT "trick" anything -
it will not hurt the motor - it WILL burn a lot more gas -

to understand the P0741 code - read this -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/149834-information-p0741-p1860-1998-a.html

there is is only ONE way to pass the emissions test -
without fixing the trans -

clear the codes -
drive the car normally - EXCEPT - keep the speed below 41MPH -
you must do this for several days/miles/ignition cycles - before the test -

this should set the "READY STATE" in the computer memory -
and because the TCC doesn't go into lockup until 41+ MPH -
the P0741 code should not be set -

if you do decide to have the trans rebuilt -
there is a good guy near Midwest - AJ&H trans - in Palatine

·
Super Moderator
86,794 Posts
Some years work by driving it in 3rd. Others don't. I forget which and have never seen any actual proof. :noidea: Can't hurt to try, but like Bass said, keeping it below 41 MPH WILL work.

Just to reiterate, won't damage a thing driving it in 3rd.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Doing the normal driving under 41 probably won't work for me I do most of my driving on highways.

Il aj&h call in the morning. Does Midwest have a good track record with trans as they do headgasket jobs?

Whats the typical cost for this job? Also know any other trans shops closer to the west burbs in Chicago?

·
Super Moderator
86,794 Posts

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
What's the emission repair dance? U have to spend XX dollars to try and fix issue before u get waiver? I think in Cali u need to spend 700 minimum on a problem or u may have to actually fix issue before u can get emission ok?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Illinois. If you don't take care of the issue beforehand they make you go to one of their licensed mechanics. Either way you end up paying much more not taking care of it before the fact here in Illinois.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
42 Posts
At least on the Seville it can be repaired without lowering the subframe if it is the solenoid and not the TCC itself. The TCC is inside the torque converter and requires removing the trans.
The TCC Solenoid that activates the TCC is inside the side case on the valve body of the trans and accessible without any work on the frame.

I have done it last year and put a video with a general overview of the procedure up on youtube:
Here is part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVNToSluKw

It is not as hard as you may think but it requires some surgeon skills to remove and replace the solenoid, especially getting the locking pin back in. But it certainly can be done.
Small, flexible hands and a good set of tools and a small magnet is basically all you need. No special tools or such.

Take your time.
But before attempting any repair make sure the solenoid is your problem. I got a 1860 and 0741 code in my case.

Best regards
Benjamin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately mine is P0741 only which requires work on the TCC itself. :/

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
P 1860 C = TCC solenoid or circuit problems. That code alone says to troubleshoot the solenoid and wiring. SES on 2nd code set.

P 0741 C = TCC viscous clutch problems. That code alone says it's torque converter time. SES on 2nd code set.

P 1860 C + P 0741 C + the SES light says the solenoid failed, 2 failed start/run cycles, and TCC is inhibited.

Under some fault and transmission operating condition circumstances various transmission functions (and shifting) are inhibited.

·
Super Moderator
86,794 Posts
I live in Illinois. If you don't take care of the issue beforehand they make you go to one of their licensed mechanics. Either way you end up paying much more not taking care of it before the fact here in Illinois.
Sure glad I don't have to mess with that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Called and visited a few shops. Most want to charge between 500-700 just for the labor to just take down the trans and look at it.

I called the shop in Palatine its about an hr away from my house, so would have to train it back.

Plus am not in a major hurry since it runs fine. Been driving it on gear "3" and the light has not come back. Going to keep driving like that for a few more weeks before I take to the emissions test.

Thank you all for all the suggestions and advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts