Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2000 STS (Love the car BTW...nuttin like Northstar Power)...wanted to make sure Pressure in Spare tire was correct...lifted out jack assembly tray and spare...found Lake Michigan under there!!!

Reported the findings to my Salesman...he had no explanation other than missing plug(s) in bottom?? Checked that and NOPE...

He promised to check with his Tech Department...I am awaiting a reply...hard to believe that he would not be aware with this problem since I got tired of finding just ONE Forum to join on the subject...also I saw the Factory Fix posts...

Became a member and checked the boards...found this forum...looked VERY close at all seals in the Trunk...might be a new replacement seal (BLUE PAINT DOT in center?)...

Looks like they were replaced by Sloppy McGoopsalot they used so much silicone sealant...stuff is all over...don't think it came from factory that way...I gotta get my eyesight checked, I missed that totally...did not think I would HAVE to check trunk seals...there seems to be several fixes...

Thanks to the board, I have multiple options:
1) New Seal Installed Correctly
2) Clean existing seals and Install Properly
2) Clogged Sunroof gutters
3) Plastic Hold-down mounts for seal leaking

Have I missed something?...gonna check the Sunroof drains today...any and all comments on this welcome...I love this car and I will beat this thing!!!!!!! Dealer has the first move...

Great Board...

T. F. Otmi

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Ya you missed the body seams around and near the tail lights...

BTW

As you have now validated, most silicon sealants will only provide a temporary (about 18 month - 2 year fix) eventually it drys out and the leak re-occurs. Butyl caulks while messier will yield a permanent repair.

PS your list is in the reverse order... Check the body seams and plastic hold down first... gasket LAST :)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,103 Posts
:rolleyes: My '02 has a warranty fix for "body reseal" in mid-'03, and has the same blue dot. Take a look at the curve of the inner trunk panel sealing surface: sight along it from side to side. Then put a straightedge along the "new" seal and see if they match. Some have reported a leak in the latch area....that's where mine was, according to the previous owner in NY. (You could climb in the trunk and have someone go around the seal with a droplight from outside, or run water around the trunk edge and search with a flashlight. Test the emergency trunk latch while you're at it........)

·
Registered
2000 STS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Information...thanks all for the advice...there seems to be no Smoking Gun on this issue, along with some very passionate discourse...feeling a bit like Diogenes here...without the barrel!!!

Very interesting Sealing techiques used in this car, I must say...about 20 different seals, rubber plates, covers and such...

I found this (see attached pic)...whomever did the re-work on this trunk seal needs to be slapped...the "overflap" (for lack of a better term) is above the seal on one side, under the seal on the other...has anyone seen this before? Does this top seal go OVER or UNDER the perimeter strip? I think it is just poor workmanship by Sloppy...

Regardless, I think I will replace most of the seals anyway (for my own POM)...while also checking ALL the other fixes...one thing for sure, I will be using Automotive Sealant...I think Sloppy used home-style Silicone since most of it just peels off easily...

I WILL TRIUMPH!!!!! (eventually)...I'm going IN!!!!

T. F. Otmi :want:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If I understand your question, the flap below the rear window should direct water into the channel and therefore be behind/under the trunk gasket. Water running off the rear glass should run around the trunk gasket lip and drain between the decklid and rear quarter. On my car I found the same fitment issue with the under window splash deflector (the thing in your pic - not sure its actual name) it was flush on one side and had a gap on the other. On the side with the gap, water was getting behind the flap and running into the trunk through the nylon/plastic screw mount. The screw mount/receiver has four holes which would allow for some adjustment (or use in another location on the car to reduce parts count - don't know) so water was getting in through the three unused holes. I filled all four with sealant and ran the screw back into it as well as sealing above and below the screw when I reinstalled it. I also found water in the trunk gasket mounting channel along the bottom of the trunk - not sure how it was getting there but I resealed with new gasket sealant. I also found the trunk latch mounting bolts on the decklid to be very loose - after I tightened them up the decklid was visibly lower when closed than before. Have not had any rain or done a carwash since fixing so I do not know if this worked.

·
Registered
2000 STS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Chubbs,

I agree with your first statement...the flap should go under the seam seal...I found it damp up under the flap (far side of pic)...water could be getting through there...I really need to do the water dance to see exactly where water is getting in...but I really don't like the way any of the seals look...

Another problem is flap is damaged where it gets twisted (center of pic) and I may just replace it...regardless, the seal needs to come off...

You think I have a chance of removing the seal gasket, clean off ALL the left-over gunk and re-install the seal with Auto sealant??

Here's to a Dry Bum!!!!!

TFO :want:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts