Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRX Luxury
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a real problem with my key fob since I bought my ATS. I carry it with my other keys on a key ring just like every other fob I ever had. I have my house keys my truck keys and other misc. keys on the same ring along with my ATS key fob. My problem is the ATS fob seperates all the time! I'll pull my keys out of my pocket and half the fob stays in my pocket and all I have in my hand is the upper part with the key. I have had the fob come apart when taking out my keys to drive my truck and the important part falls to the ground. Today I was driving home from my sons house and realized that the lower part of the fob was missing from my key chain. After a few hours of looking everywhere and calling my son to look around his house I found the fob in my truck. It had fallen off my key ring when I was loading up some tools before coming home. I love my ATS but the fob is a lousy design destined to leave people stranded holding the wrong part of the fob. I have had fobs from other manufacturers and never experienced anything like this before. My Audi had a button to seperate the key just like the ATS but you could never do it by accident because the button was recessed not sticking out like the ATS. Has anybody else experienced this? I think I'm going to glue my fob together so it can't come apart anymore because it comes apart way too easily and I know I will lose it for sure if I don't.

·
Registered
ATS 3.6L premium
33 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my key but my wife has had the same problem with her copy of the key fob as you described. She is currently using tape (lol) to hold the two pieces together - her solution, not mine. It kind of makes the key look like a POS IMO but she doesn't seem to notice. I too am thinking I will just use glue to hold the two parts together so that it looks a bit more respectable. I don't really foresee a time when we would actually need to use the old fashioned key blade anyways. AtlantaGuy00-What brand of leather case are you using?

·
Registered
ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts
107 Posts
If the battery in the fob is dead, you need to use the key. On my CTS I could tell when it was starting to go, because the range went way down, so you get a bit of warning. But it seems risky to glue it. Could glue could get in the way of how you open the case to replace the battery?

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB
158 Posts
I have not had this issue yet. But with the fob and keys in my jacket, I have had the trunk release button accidentaly be pushed and found my trunk open. Just casual movement inside my pocket some how triggered the trunk release. Even happened while in my office and a buddy said why is your trunk open. I thought those keywraps (advertised on right side here) were silly, but I might investigate the one with the flap. Might protect the littles buttons and emergency key release.

·
Registered
2007 DTS, 2013 ATS
313 Posts
I bought the Key Wrap from the place that advertises on here. First, I bought one off of ebay for 1/2 the price but it was a POS so money wasted. So I ordered from the advertiser and really like it. You have to lift up the flap to use the buttons (the one I ordered) but since it's "keyless" I don't have to do that much and the fob is encased in a holder that looks nice. Don't mean to plug an advertiser, and I have no relationship with the seller but since someone asked...

·
Registered
2015 SRX Luxury
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would need the key wrap with the flap to keep it from seperating. The problem I see is with the flap you can't hook the fob to your key ring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You would need the key wrap with the flap to keep it from seperating. The problem I see is with the flap you can't hook the fob to your key ring.
Upon further inspection I noticed the same thing. You would have to keep the fob and your normal keys separately. Not an ideal situation.

12,778 Posts
JSATS, I can definitely understand your perspective on this and I'm sorry the key fob design has been aggravating you. I'm documenting this thread URL so the proper GM teams can view the issue, and I'm just an email away at [email protected] if you would like me to document additional feedback on the key fob subject!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
JSATS, I can definitely understand your perspective on this and I'm sorry the key fob design has been aggravating you. I'm documenting this thread URL so the proper GM teams can view the issue, and I'm just an email away at [email protected] if you would like me to document additional feedback on the key fob subject!

Katie
Katie, It is a pleasure to see that Cadillac (you and the rest of the staff) are taking the time and effort to use this forum to assist, and to use the comments to guide the engineers to make the automobiles better. I don't have a Cadillac yet, but I am looking at trading in my Lincoln MKZ this spring or summer. But I may just wait for the 2014 ATS.

Thanks for being there for your help and knowledge.

12,778 Posts
Thanks for your comment, Wideband! Don't hesitate to email me when you're car shopping in the future, and I would be happy to investigate any vehicle questions you have along the way.

Best,

Katie

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Coupe' 6MT
340 Posts
I've had the same issue 3 times so far. When you get out of the car and it honks at you, you then know that your fob is probably on the floor of the car.. =)
Anyhow I think it's a bad design also, and I just keep clipping it back together but have little confidence in it not happening again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The button sticking up does not make sense. My BMW had the same feature, but the button was flush or slightly recessed so it takes a very deliberate effort and won't open accidentally.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Luxury
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The button sticking up does not make sense. My BMW had the same feature, but the button was flush or slightly recessed so it takes a very deliberate effort and won't open accidentally.
This is the problem with the ATS fob. I think whoever designed it wasn't thinking very well. A recessed button would solve this issue. Cadillac needs to rethink these fobs and copy the German makers like Audi and BMW because they don't have this problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I thought of a solution. Go to the owners manual and read the instructions on how to replace the battery. Follow the procedure to open up the fob. Then take a file and file down the button to be flush with the surface of the fob. Put back together and your finger nail or another object can easily be pressed into the slot to release the key. Just be careful not to file to much of the button, so it will still function properly.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Coupe' 6MT
340 Posts
I thought of a solution. Go to the owners manual and read the instructions on how to replace the battery. Follow the procedure to open up the fob. Then take a file and file down the button to be flush with the surface of the fob. Put back together and your finger nail or another object can easily be pressed into the slot to release the key. Just be careful not to file to much of the button, so it will still function properly.
Done and done!.. :thumbsup:
I didn't look at the manual, but there is a noticeable amount of flex to the fob casing once you remove the key from it. If you just wedge in between the 2 halves it comes right apart.
The plastic button slips right out and has one small spring behind it.
I filed the plastic button down a bit and tested, and then filed a bit more and I feel that it's perfect now.
The button is now nearly flush and I can still remove the key by squeezing the fob, as the button goes down a bit when compressing the fob because of the flex between the 2 pieces.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. To bad we have to resort to this DIY modification, but it was easy enough. Take care.

·
Registered
2013 Raven Black ATS
61 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine, but be careful gluing the key together - if you ever want to lock your glovebox (valet etc), you'll need the hard key that's kept inside the fob. I think it's used in one or two other spots, as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts