Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
Well he was going 127mph in a 35mph zone so...but why would they confiscate a Viper then turn it into a DARE(Drug Abuse Resistance Education) car? Do they serve in the normal police force or just on special occasions?

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Well that's just plain stupid! He should have his car taken away. Driving is a privelige, not a right!

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Haha that's like 15 minutes away from me. If I didn't work tonight I would go check it out. Always nice cars at that show, there was an Enzo last year.

The police in my town have a DARE trans-am they confiscated from a drug dealer. That makes more sense than a viper they got from a non drug abusing speeder.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I wasnt almost in Wisconsin, I would go, but Plainfield is just too far to go during the week

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
No biggie, Bloomfield Hills, MI uses an 06 Z06 and a 06V for their cop cars....courtesy of heavy footed drivers.

F

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Huh...I don't know that I agree with taking his car. How do they justify that?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Yea, for speeding that's a little invasive. If the car was gained by illegal means, then I'd say yes, without a doubt. But if the car was legally purchased with legally earned funds, there is no WAY that it should be able to be taken away.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
"The driver was eventually charged with felony fleeing and eluding police"

He apparently didn't just speed 100mph over the speed limit. Much less that kind of speed in a 35mph zone.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
That still doesn't mean that anyone has a right to steal his legally earned property, government or not.

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
They do if it's the law. :thumbsup:

You may not agree with it, but it doesn't change the fact. I believe it's California where they have the right to confiscate your car if you're caught street racing. No matter how much it costs or you owe. It's supposed to serve as a deterrence. One hell of a fine.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Just because the government says its ok doesn't make it legal. It's still downright out and out theft. Larceny. Would you take someones house if they were caught cheating on an inspection? No. Fine 'em, send 'em to jail if its a big deal, but you wouldn't take it away and leave them homeless.

It's BS.

Now, doing that in a 35 zone, he obviously didn't think at all. He should be punished. Severely. I know many of us on this forum, if not MOST of us on this forum, have driven our cadillacs or other vehicles well in excess of a hundred miles an hour. Most of those that admit to it, however, admit that they did it in an area where there was nothing for them to damage and no one for them to hurt but themselves. That's different, a little.

But taking someones $70,000 vehicle because they were speeding? That's outright theft and illegal, whether the "law" says its ok or not. Laws have been found illegally written and illegally practiced before. This one should be the same.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Well, I know in FL they could take your car if you were street racing too....

and I heard something along the lines that if you broke 2 laws at the same time while the cops are trying to pull you over... like speeding and not using a turn signal to change lanes... then they can take your car.

I agree it was stupid, 35mph zones are usually school or residental. it dosn't seem like he really tried that hard to run from the cops, who knows.. they always try to tack on extra....

Still tho... I don't think its right to take his car.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
That's total BS. There are other ways to deal with things like this other than taking someone's car away. Put a limiter on his car of 55mph and have him check in every week or so to show he didn't screw around with it or something. Imagine having a Viper that couldn't go pass 55mph.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Sux to be this guy. Reckless driving, felony fleeing and eluding came with a sharp penalty. :eek: It's hard to know how to feel about this one. On the one hand I agree with Spyder. ON the other hand if this guy was driving 100 over and eluding in my neighborhood, putting my child in danger, I'd be out for blood. :mad:

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was convicted of a felony, by a jury of his peers presumably. Had he just pulled over when the cop came after him, he would still have his mopar and could work on the next ticket.

I said mopar, Spyder:poke: :D

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Just because the government says its ok doesn't make it legal.
If it's the law, that makes it legal. Sorry you don't agree. They cannot convict and prosecute him on a whim or wish. There has to be a law.

I know many of us on this forum, if not MOST of us on this forum, have driven our cadillacs or other vehicles well in excess of a hundred miles an hour.
On the highway, yes. In a 35 mph zone, no fracking way. Most 35s are in residential or business areas that have a large pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic. Much less kids at play.

But taking someones $70,000 vehicle because they were speeding? That's outright theft and illegal, whether the "law" says its ok or not. Laws have been found illegally written and illegally practiced before. This one should be the same.
He wasn't convicted of just "speeding" But then we covered that and you didn't care. The truth is you just don't feel it's right to have the car taken away under any circumstances. So instead we'll convict him of a felony and put him in jail for several years. Then we'll see how he's not able to make his car payments in prison and it gets taken away from him by the bank.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts