Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it finally happened, a major problem!! i had the 01 cat in for serpentine belt problem. which was replaced only 4,000 miles ago. and mechanic had me take it out for a test drive, and told me to jump on it alittle to see what i think. and guess what as i jumped on it at a stop sign, it completely died!! we pushed it back in the shop. and low and behold, my timing belt jumped off!! they opened it up over the next days and contacted my extended warranty company to inspect and now can't explain why my timing belt would have jumped.
from reading this forum, it seems to be a no brainer.....timing belt tensioner. but they say that looks fine and so does the timing belt!!! at this point we're pretty sure the cylinder heads are burnt too.
any further ideas as to why my timing belt would jump off!! from any of my cat people out there...any comments are appreciated.
robert:bonkers:

·
Registered
Catera 97
43 Posts
The belt will jump at the crankshaft if the tension on the pulley above it is not correct. There are actually 3 tensioners. The main one everyone refers to plus the two other pulleys each of which have to be set correctly to ensure correct timing and tension.

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
To clarify - and I'm not an expert, I've just done this once, so maybe I'm wrong - the two pulleys are used to adjust the position of the belt (to align the associated pair of cam sprokets). The tensioner is set to apply a specific tension to the belt; and the tension actually changes as through the engine cycle.

That doesn't help you on why the belt would jump, but carate's comment makes sense to me. There is supposed to be a certain ammount of tension applied to the belt. If its too low (or maybe too high also) I can see how it would jump. This theory also aligns with the fact that it jumped during heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
OK it finally happened, a major problem!! i had the 01 cat in for serpentine belt problem. which was replaced only 4,000 miles ago. and mechanic had me take it out for a test drive, and told me to jump on it alittle to see what i think. and guess what as i jumped on it at a stop sign, it completely died!! we pushed it back in the shop. and low and behold, my timing belt jumped off!! they opened it up over the next days and contacted my extended warranty company to inspect and now can't explain why my timing belt would have jumped.
from reading this forum, it seems to be a no brainer.....timing belt tensioner. but they say that looks fine and so does the timing belt!!! at this point we're pretty sure the cylinder heads are burnt too.
any further ideas as to why my timing belt would jump off!! from any of my cat people out there...any comments are appreciated.
robert:bonkers:
what is your extended warranty company? if i can recall in a previous post you said it was smart auto warranty. is that correct? also, are they giving you problems to fix it? or is it no problem. i am considering purchasing an extended warranty from them. any advise on the warranty would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is your extended warranty company? if i can recall in a previous post you said it was smart auto warranty. is that correct? also, are they giving you problems to fix it? or is it no problem. i am considering purchasing an extended warranty from them. any advise on the warranty would be greatly appreciated...
unfortunately, they have drug their feet with my mechanic after their adjuster surveyed the belt and tensioner. now they want it towed to cadillac for their opinion. they require failure of a part to accept. so now we wait while cadillac tells them, a cracked belt and tight tensioner is a failure. irregarless, they also will need to deal with the bent valves. when the timing belt jumps it certainly takes out a few valves. i'm sure i'll be out for two weeks, while they figure it out. although now they are extending their rental car policy. 'considering the warranty company has already done my power steering pump, serpentine belt, hydraulic hose, idler arm and bearing i'm about even at this point. and i've only had my cat for six months. on a three year warranty. keeping my fingers crossed!
robert:eek:
ps thanks for rubbing it in

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Oh man, I'm sorry to learn this. As much as I love my Cat, I hate knowing that that damned belt tensioner bomb is ticking away. I rev the crap out of my engine so if it does go I can kiss 24 valves and pistons goodbye. I hope your warranty company does the right thing and that you get your car back on the road soon. This is one update regarding your car that didn't want to read.

Elvin

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, I'm sorry to learn this. As much as I love my Cat, I hate knowing that that damned belt tensioner bomb is ticking away. I rev the crap out of my engine so if it does go I can kiss 24 valves and pistons goodbye. I hope your warranty company does the right thing and that you get your car back on the road soon. This is one update regarding your car that didn't want to read.

Elvin
thanks elvin, i'll keep you posted.
robert:hmm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts