·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, going back to the cats :p
one word: STINKY
can't take the smell.
Love the "rasp", or like Black Beast says "sucking air sound" on decel, whole new level of evilness, nastiness, and loudness.
But i can't take the stink!! Cat pipes going in tomorrow.

How does the car run? Evil, wicked, mean, and nasty. The difference between stock manifolds and the early tri-Y headers was awesome. The LTs add a new level of quicker revving and speed. She's evil now, breaks traction all the way thru second now (even with 275s). I may lose some of that with cats but it'll be worth it. Oh well :) I've seen nirvana (as close to a completely open pipe as you can get) and it was nice. Too bad it smelled worse than houston ;) :p

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
Urb,
I put my cats back in last night for the same reason.. Hate the stink...lol
Did Billy machine yours for the doughnut style gasket? If so, they may be missing like mine were. Last night when I did the change i was like "where the hell did they go?" Out the pipes in pieces most likely.. lol Using the copper sleaved gasket he sent now.. Will see how they last..

Bill

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, mine are the standard flat flange. I e-mailed him about it, he said they can't find the "donut style" gaskets. So he abandoned that idea.
Did get his 02 extenders, they don't look anything like the ones you have, in fact they look like they fit better than the ones i bought. So they go in tomorrow too :) I paid about $28 for them, and they don't "clip".
The invoice said C6 extenders. Maybe our C6 experts can investigate this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I put the cats in and I think it still sounds great. The clip I posted was with the cats. I would be surprised if they rob much power. With the LT headers and the XPIPE I think the car sounds awesome. Its raspy and loud when you romp on it. I am sure this cooler weather helps as well. Definately much more fun. Now I just need to get a tune but I will probably wait until spring for that.

Do either of you have a problem with the exhaust hitting that bottom of the car? On the passenger side near the front there is less than a 1/2 inch of clearance. So I get a vibration once in a while. I haven't gone back and loosened everything to see if I can make it fit better. I need to get a lift...

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Urb,are you able to switch from cats to no cats without throwing a code?I guess your tune was already tuned for B&B regular headers.These seem like pretty big changes for your mail order tune.I ask this because I will be adding headers over the winter and plan to get my pcm back to Rick to allow for the changes.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
urb, do the tail pipes scrape against the floor on your car? I don't know if I installed my exhaust right because my entire exhaust looks a little too low. I'm also kinda tired of the smell but, I am too lazy to connect the cats on my car.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Easy swap, putting the cat pipes in. My test pipe was hitting the trans crossmember passenger side

That was fixed by trial/error, making sure everything lined up well before bolting on. Now i have 4mm clearance both sides. No leaks, too :)worship: HM)

Good news: no stink
Bad news: all that increase in power i told you guys about...gone. Back to normal feeling. Cats lost me all that extra spunk :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts