Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to have constant power on my 2001 Seville SLS to change the battery will it hurt my computer if I don't

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
shouldn't hurt anything but when you install the new battery you might get a bunch of "U" codes which will go away. Assuming your battery is under the back seat (as on my Deville) be sure you buy the group 79 battery which has vent tubes that routes any vapors to the outside. Big safety issue. Welcome to the forums!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
I've changed 2 batteries in my 2002 since 2005. Remove the vent manifold, disconnect the battery, remove the hold-down, replace it. Not a problem. MAYBE you'll need to reset the clock.

If you have heated seats there's an electrical connector on the passenger underside of the seat pad. Forcibly push the seat pad toward the rear and lift the front skirt. There's about a foot of lift room to get to the connector.

Make sure the body ground stud terminal is clean and tight and the vent manifold is correctly installed and that the hose goes through the body pan grommet.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
FWI, group 79 batteries seem hard to come by, but a group 78 will work and DOES have the required vents. It's just a few CCA's lower than the group 79.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
the ONLY thing that comes to mind is IF you have the navigation radio -

there is an internal button battery that maintains power to that radio -
IF that button battery is dead - AND you disconnect the main battery -
the nav radio WILL loose the programming -
without the software disc - the nav radio becomes a "brick" - and will never play again -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts