Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2016 ATS V. And I have to always keep it on a trickle charge or it dies. & the manual says when you store the car, to take the battery out of the car. Does anyone know why the battery does not stay charged in the ATS V?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,136 Posts
How long - in days - does it take for the battery to discharge to a no-start level?

All of our cars have some parasitic discharge due to electronics retained memory, but the car should start after 3 or so weeks. After that it's anyone's guess.

If the build date on your driver's door sticker is more than 4 or 5 years ago then the battery itself is suspect. The 2016 Model Year (MY) ran from July of 2015 to June of 2016, so today your car/battery could be 4.5 years or more old.

My STS garage queen lives with a battery minder hooked up 24/7 between drives.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No problems putting a battery tender on it, just make sure your battery tender supports AGM batteries as the factory battery is AGM and not a standard wet lead acid battery.

You could either hook it up to the battery in the trunk, or to the jump starting posts under the hood... I'd connect it under the hood, that way you aren't smashing wires in the trunk weatherstripping.

My experience has been these cars have no issues sitting for 2+ weeks without coming back to a dead battery.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 2007 XLR, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT
121 Posts
I have a late year 2016 AST-V and a 2007 XLR. I always have the XLR on a trickle charger being that if the battery fails, it is a nightmare to get into the car with the electronic door locks with no handles or physical spare keys. It is always in the garage and only comes out during the fall, spring and summer. I keep the ATS-V on trickle charge during the day between rides...Just force of habit I guess. I have a cable off the battery in the trunk. I don't fully close the trunk lid during the day. At night, I take it off trickle charge and lock the trunk since the car is always parked outside the garage. I have gone away on vacation for 2-3 weeks at a time without it being on trickle charge and never had a problem. I just replaced the battery last week for the second time. These days, my mechanic tells me you are lucky to get 3 years out of a battery...not like the old days where a DieHard battery could last 60 months. :cry: He says that it is the constant parasitic drain from all the electronics that shortens battery longevity.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 4-door, 2016 ATS-V 2-door
469 Posts
Getting the battery out of an ATS-V is a PIA. I'd just connect a smart charger which is compatible with an AGM battery.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
284 Posts
Interesting sidebar - my battery lost the ability to maintain a charge in the past couple of weeks. I don't drive the car often (it's my autocross and trip car), especially in the late fall to early spring timeframe. I've had it sit without starting for probably a month at a time, perhaps a bit longer. My first indication was the "low battery - start the car" warning so I ran the car, drove it some locally, monitoring the battery voltage on the display to see what happened. It was constantly showing 15+v so obviously trying to charge. It finally started to settle down so I stuck my charger on to verify the charge was full. I'd been using my own voltmeter in the meantime to verify what the dash was showing. So, I determined I had a full charge with ~12.5v after sitting a bit but the next day was at 11.9v. The dealer replaced the battery (never knew there was a tester that took 1.5 or so hours to run).

Trickle charging would certainly be a good idea for a car that simply never gets started for, say, the whole winter but a battery in good shape should easily last a month without the need to charge.

·
Administrator
67,136 Posts
Trickle charging would certainly be a good idea for a car that simply never gets started for, say, the whole winter but a battery in good shape should easily last a month without the need to charge
How long a vehicle battery can sit unattended depends on the vehicle make, model, year, options. ALL have different rates of parasitic discharge. Some vehicles can go a couple of months; some can't make it 3 weeks.

We have had very good service life out of Exide batteries at the shop/parts store where I work part-time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have had very good service life out of Exide batteries at the shop/parts store where I work part-time.
I've had mixed results with Exide. I also tend to avoid anything by Johnson Controls, they don't seem to last very long, and that's somewhat difficult as Johnson Controls has bought up many of the battery manufacturers. Keep in mind Johnson Controls is the company that moved Optima's production from Colorado to Mexico after they bought out Optima, and the Optima batteries suffered from a significant drop in quality and lifespan when the plant moved. I've noticed a huge difference in service life between the older Colorado produced Optima's and the newer Mexico production Optimas.

I have to say the factory AC Delco AGM in my car is also holding up well and is now 4 years old, not sure who the OEM was who manufactured it.

A local battery shop near me that sells batteries of nearly every brand available for cars, trucks, golf carts, stationary battery banks, and industrial electric forklifts says they have the best luck with East Penn manufactured Deka batteries out of all the brands they deal with. Made in the USA, great build quality, and very good lifespan.

Something else to mention regarding batteries on these cars... I was recently checking a few things in the service manual for the car and the service procedures mentioned using GDS2 to reset the battery life when you change the battery. Sounds like GM, much like BMW and a few other manufacturers, has the BCM tailor the charging cycling and voltage over the life of the battery to get maximum life out of the battery since the voltage and charging characteristics of the battery will change over its service life.

If you read about GM's battery charging strategy, the BCM tailors the charging voltage and rate based on temperature, load, current battery voltage and state of charge, running periodic desulfating cycles, etc. If you don't reset the battery life when you swap the battery, the car will still run but the service life of the new battery may be impacted as the car will be charging the fresh battery using the "aged" battery charging profile instead of the "new" battery charging profile.

I need to plug into the car and see if the option to reset the battery life is present on our vehicles, but the procedure to reset the battery life in GDS2 was explicitly mentioned in the service manual. Another critical thing that was mentioned is to make sure retained accessory power has timed out and is off before you disconnect the main battery, otherwise if you disconnect the main battery while RAP is still active it can trigger the one time use emergency backup battery for Onstar (which is buried under the package tray) which will then need replacement.

·
Administrator
67,136 Posts
The very dynamic battery charging systems came out in ??? 2008 and later. My STS does not have the new system. I get excellent overall battery life by using a battery minder/desulfation device.

East Penn is right up the road (NE of metro Baltimore, Middle River) from here. Been through one of their lead-acid plants.

For 4 years of my 26 year Navy career I was a diesel submarine Main Power Electrician (lead-acid batteries, all 256 tons of them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts