Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 SRX is acting up on me. Battery was dead yesterday evening. Jumped it and watched the battery voltage while driving and it was showing in the 14's. Sat overnight and started no problem. Started at lunch, but when it was time to go home it was dead again. Any suggestions why it would be dead after no problems all day.

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
552 Posts
You do not say how old the battery is.

As stated, a battery can test good and still be bad. If you still have the original battery it is time to get rid of it anyway.

George

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD LUX terra mocha/shale brownstone
163 Posts
If you did not have your battery tested at a Cadillac dealer or GM dealership, someone else's testing may not show the same results. When my 26 month old battery failed, the Cadillac dealership put it through a 90 minute testing routine that produced several pages of graphs and data from a number of different testing routines and phases. Mine was under warranty and perhaps your battery is not, but the testing procedure may be an item for you to consider or reconsider. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
504 Posts
On other cars I have had the battery discharge because a brake light would stick on after parking in the garage. I have also turned on a map light and forgot it. Have you checked out your SRX in the dark to see if any of the interior or exterior lights might be on?

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
I'd have to say bad battery as well.

Had one fail exactly as your's did - fine at lunch time but stone dead after work. Nothing was left on to drain it. Jump started to get home, turned the car off and was not able to restart. Put it on a charger and nothing, nada, zilch - would not take a charge at all. New battery and all was well.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,750 Posts
On other cars I have had the battery discharge because a brake light would stick on after parking in the garage. I have also turned on a map light and forgot it. Have you checked out your SRX in the dark to see if any of the interior or exterior lights might be on?
Old cars yes, Newer cars will shut down interior loads after 10 min.

Is it possible you are hitting the PTS button and accidently leaving it in maintenance mode? Happen to me when we first gr and did not know we were doing it. Absolutely have the battery and charging system checked with proper test equipment that will give you a printout. Do not go by what AutoZone etc. will test with a pocket meter.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury 2014 SRX.... Previously owned 1995 ElDorado, 2000 STS, 2005 CTS and 2006 SRX
62 Posts
Old cars yes, Newer cars will shut down interior loads after 10 min.
After that 10 minute "interior Shutdown" there is still a small current drain on the battery in all these newer automobiles. The receiver for the key fob is always "on". You did not indicate the age of your battery. If it is the original battery, you are very lucky that it lasted this long! The OEM battery in our 2014 Equinox failed a couple of months ago.....

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
552 Posts
It is now over a month the original poster has never posted again to report status.

Don't you just love these people who post and ask a question and then never let us know the results.

George

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
424 Posts
I was having issues with the lights getting dim and have had issues for a while when starting the car would slow the starter down and dim the lights pretty bad. Our 2012 SRX battery was original and so I figured it was coming due to be replaced but suddenly it started getting the check alternator message on the DIC. I put a meter onto the thing and found the voltage fluctuating from 11.5 - 13.5. The alternator was intermittent. Ended up with a new alternator and battery to the tune of $500. Not a cheap repair but it's been good now for about a month so I declared it fixed.

Steve

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,750 Posts
I was having issues with the lights getting dim and have had issues for a while when starting the car would slow the starter down and dim the lights pretty bad. Our 2012 SRX battery was original and so I figured it was coming due to be replaced but suddenly it started getting the check alternator message on the DIC. I put a meter onto the thing and found the voltage fluctuating from 11.5 - 13.5. The alternator was intermittent. Ended up with a new alternator and battery to the tune of $500. Not a cheap repair but it's been good now for about a month so I declared it fixed.

Steve
You may have not needed the alternator...... The new cars will fluctuate as needed to save fuel. Could have been a bad cell in the battery causing incorrect info for alternator. I would of had the battery replaced first then did the test. Just my 2 Cents...

·
Registered
2011 SRX
25 Posts
I am having this problem. Had an oil change at a Ford quick lane, battery test came back fine. 5 days later I cant start my car, AAA came out to replace it but did all the tests and said battery and alternator are fine. Is there anything that could be draining the battery that I dont see. All lights go off, it also appears that a 48-C battery is impossible to get through AAA. tia

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
329 Posts
Ditto same issue - however it only happens at home, locking the doors (in the garage ) seems to have eliminated the problem - its like something is staying on when the car is shut off but not locked

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
That's curious. I never lock the car when in the garage.

As to batteries, if you know your way around a load tester you can be about 90% sure how healthy a battery is. I try to load test mine regularly. Now up until recently I was still buying Globe Union produced batteries with removable caps. That gives you the ability to check the individual cells with a hydrometer. If I can load a battery and check the specific gravity can be more like 99% sure how healthy the battery is. Not sure if that's all that helpful, but at any rate a load tester is good to have around. Schumacher makes a good unit that is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
96 Posts
Throw an ammeter on the battery when everything is off. It should be between 0.02 and 0.08 amps. If it is higher you have a drain problem. If under that you have a bad battery.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
424 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts