Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 is in the shop now for the 4th time because the battery won't hold a charge for more than 3-4 days without running down and requiring a jump start. The dealer replaced the battery about 6 months ago. I think this model has a slow drain of some kind. I usually drive it every day or so, but if I leave it parked (e.g., at the airport for a few days) I can expect a wait for roadside service to give me a jump.

The dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix it, and it's inconvenient to not drive it for a few days to prove that the problem still exists - then there's the inconvenience of driving it back to the dealer and letting them know that watever they did didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know of a bulletin on this? I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
My '03 is in the shop now for the 4th time because the battery won't hold a charge for more than 3-4 days without running down and requiring a jump start. The dealer replaced the battery about 6 months ago. I think this model has a slow drain of some kind. I usually drive it every day or so, but if I leave it parked (e.g., at the airport for a few days) I can expect a wait for roadside service to give me a jump.

The dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix it, and it's inconvenient to not drive it for a few days to prove that the problem still exists - then there's the inconvenience of driving it back to the dealer and letting them know that watever they did didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know of a bulletin on this? I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
Is you OnStar activated? You could have them run a diagnostic for you for free.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
I've seen some devices that detect a slow drain and will isolate (disconnect) the battery to keep it from discharging. Might be worth it to invest in one.

I think you can get them at automove stores here's a Sears version with anti-theft as well.

http://www.automedia.com/Battery/with/a/Brain/res20010301sb/1

Features and Benefits
Along with this state-of-the-art vehicle immobilizing system, the new
DieHard Security battery features an innovative power saver system that
ensures the owner will have enough power to start the vehicle. For example,
if a car owner accidentally leaves the headlights on or there is any other
unexpected power drain that threatens the battery's starting power, such as a
dome light being left on, the power saver feature automatically knows when to
shut down power to all accessories.

This is from the actual patent:

A battery disconnect device includes a housing with a trip/sense circuit, a sealed solenoid and two bars. The solenoid includes a spring loaded contactor disposed in a sealed chamber which normally bridges the bars and is constructed to provide a very low resistivity between the bars. When a coil of the solenoid is activated, in response, for example, to a low battery voltage, the contactor moves away from the bars and is kept in an open position by a magnet. The contactor can be closed or returned to the original position by a manual push button or by a close circuit operated from a remote switch. Additionally the contactor may be opened by using a remote button to act as an anti-theft device.

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is you OnStar activated? You could have them run a diagnostic for you for free.
Yes it is, but I believe that just just gives you the trouble codes from the DIC. Presumably that's the first thing that they check, and as I've mentioned - it's been in several times.

On the cost, that's not an issue since it's still under my 100K warranty it's free. It's just the aggrivation.

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen some devices that detect a slow drain and will isolate (disconnect) the battery to keep it from discharging. Might be worth it to invest in one.

I think you can get them at automove stores here's a Sears version with anti-theft as well.

http://www.automedia.com/Battery/with/a/Brain/res20010301sb/1

This is from the actual patent:

A battery disconnect device includes a housing with a trip/sense circuit, a sealed solenoid and two bars. The solenoid includes a spring loaded contactor disposed in a sealed chamber which normally bridges the bars and is constructed to provide a very low resistivity between the bars. When a coil of the solenoid is activated, in response, for example, to a low battery voltage, the contactor moves away from the bars and is kept in an open position by a magnet. The contactor can be closed or returned to the original position by a manual push button or by a close circuit operated from a remote switch. Additionally the contactor may be opened by using a remote button to act as an anti-theft device.
I might be interested if I was paying for this myself. The last time I left it parked for a week I just disconnedted the battery by removing the neg cable and it started fine. I'm just thinking that this is not the way that a car should work, and want to get it fixed under warranty. I plan to keep the car for several more years - I like it. Just bought an '07 Lincoln MKZ. My wife drives that car and prefers the ride. I prefer the CTS. Much more responsive and more pep.

The other reason (not previously mentioned) that I think it's a design or other problem is that my father-in-law had the same problem with his '03 CTS. Not sure whether it's fixed ot not since he drives it most every day.

·
Registered
2004 CTS, Silver/Smoke, Base model, No Extras
16 Posts
I have a '04 but experienced the same type of problem a few months ago. Turned out to be a faulty overhead console switch. They had to keep the car several days (order part) etc.
But that cured my issue.

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. There's a bulletin out on that. They replaced my console last week also. Got up this morning after not driving the car since Sunday (we're mostly driving a new Linclon) - Dead as a doornail.

I can't believe how difficult they are making a simple diagnosis. I'm not a mechanical genius, but it seems that you park the car, let it sit a day or so, put a volt/ammeter in the circuit, there should be no or very little drain. If there's a drain somewhere, you start pulling fuses until the needle goes to zero.

Back to the shop. :(

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Yep. There's a bulletin out on that. They replaced my console last week also. Got up this morning after not driving the car since Sunday (we're mostly driving a new Linclon) - Dead as a doornail.

I can't believe how difficult they are making a simple diagnosis. I'm not a mechanical genius, but it seems that you park the car, let it sit a day or so, put a volt/ammeter in the circuit, there should be no or very little drain. If there's a drain somewhere, you start pulling fuses until the needle goes to zero.

Back to the shop. :(
dim your interior lights.....with the 03's you ca get a slow drain from having your overhead light switch too close to the on position (bright interior/dash lights)

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that is what the aforementioned bulletin, and the resulting overhead console, was supposed to rectify.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
My '04 Aztek had a built-in feature that would disconnect the lights, interior or exterior, if left on for an amount of time that could drain the battery. The idea was to prevent draining the battery. Called for recycling the key to re-enable the lights. If GM put it in an Aztek, I'd sure hope that it's in a Caddy.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
I had the same issue.....aftermarket alarm/remote start- installed incorrectly- shoting alternator- draining battery- FAST...like within an hour

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CTS is in the shop again for the same problem. They put a parasitic draw indicaor in the circuit and believe that it is coming from the Onstar system. The tech says that there is a bulletin on the problem. He doesn't know whether he can get an analog system but can do the upgrade to digital for free per the Cadillac offer but requires a one-year subscription to Onstar. I told him to go ahead and make the switch to digital. We'll see if this works this time.

·
Registered
CTS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay - This should be the final post here. Yes, it was the onstar system on NoDoz. After replacing the system I went on vacation for a week. When I climbed in after 9 days the starter was strong and it cranked in a second or so.

Apparently the ONstar system is one of the final ones to go to "sleep" mode and it wasn't doing that at all, so it was like leaving your radio on for several days, resulting in a discharged battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts