Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently my 2008 cts4 3.6di sat for 3 days and when i went to start it the battery was completely dead so i jumped it after starting it battery voltage was 14.6 while driving the voltage went down and up and after driving a little while it was st 13.8 and fluctuated a little.that day i changed the battery a couple of days later i got curious and checked after starting the car it was at 14.8 and after driving about 10 mile on the expressway it was at 12.8 and stayed there even at idle is this normal or possibly good voltage behavior

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
76,823 Posts
What make, model, year ?

Later cars use a very dynamic charging regimen. If the battery is good and strong you should see 13.8 - 14.8 volts (system voltage) for a while; it may then ramp down to the 13s and stay there depending on electrical loads. A fully charged "12 volt" battery will show 12.6 volts when disconnected from anything for a half hour. Anything below 12.6 is either a bad battery or something wrong with the charging system.

Text Parallel

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
15,695 Posts
The battery voltage is controlled by the BCM and does vary according to drive time and accessories in use.
Your numbers sound normal to me.

Reactions: silversport

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,817 Posts
The battery voltage is controlled by the BCM and does vary according to drive time and accessories in use.
Your numbers sound normal to me.
Agree.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
2,138 Posts
What make, model, year ?

Later cars use a very dynamic charging regimen. If the battery is good and strong you should see 13.8 - 14.8 volts (system voltage) for a while; it may then ramp down to the 13s and stay there depending on electrical loads. A fully charged "12 volt" battery will show 12.6 volts when disconnected from anything for a half hour. Anything below 12.6 is either a bad battery or something wrong with the charging system.

View attachment 587036
Bump! Got the "service battery system" & "red Battery" idiot light this morning. Battery voltage =11.6 v. I checked it 15 min later after i got to work by staring the car, voltage read 11.7 v. and no idiot light. 🤔. Sorry, don't have battery testing equipment. i wonder if it's the alternator, i did get whiff of something burning...like oil or electrical...that sort of smell. Get her to the shop?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bump! Got the "service battery system" & "red Battery" idiot light this morning. Battery voltage =11.6 v. I checked it 15 min later after i got to work by staring the car, voltage read 11.7 v. and no idiot light. 🤔. Sorry, don't have battery testing equipment. i wonder if it's the alternator, i did get whiff of something burning...like oil or electrical...that sort of smell. Get her to the shop?
This happened to me just before I had to swap my alternator. I took it to the shop and they confirmed a bad alternator. Because these vehicles are a little finicky when it comes to their electrical system, I also swapped out the old battery. If you end up replacing the alternator, make sure you go with New OEM or Remanufactured OEM. If you don't, you are gonna have a bad time.

Good luck with the diagnosis!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
This happened to me just before I had to swap my alternator. I took it to the shop and they confirmed a bad alternator. Because these vehicles are a little finicky when it comes to their electrical system, I also swapped out the old battery. If you end up replacing the alternator, make sure you go with New OEM or Remanufactured OEM. If you don't, you are gonna have a bad time.

Good luck with the diagnosis!
well got the car to the stealership where she died right there in service parking :p. But...they got the last laugh. They charged me $548.48 for and ACDelco alternator. Part #23480514 Alternator from Amazon is $246.37...why the $302 mark-up??? Carshield is BS. My coworker describes it like health insurance. They pay a set amount, any extra cost, the consumer pays the difference.:mad::mad::mad: which i had to pay $426 out of pocket. Is this the coverage i get from Carshield? When i called Carshield, they claim someone from their company called me to explained the situation to me. NO ONE CALLED ME! The rep then proceed to find a clause in the the contract that states their "back-door escape" policy. I still got to call the dealership to see if they got paid, if not i got to pay the $575.89!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,817 Posts
They are all in it to make money, not help the consumer. Everyone sucks but me.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Carshield and any other insurance like this is just a scam. You'd be better off putting the premiums in an account each month for future repairs.
IKR!!! :cautious:

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,068 Posts
well got the car to the stealership where she died right there in service parking :p. But...they got the last laugh. They charged me $548.48 for and ACDelco alternator. Part #23480514 Alternator from Amazon is $246.37...why the $302 mark-up??? Carshield is BS. My coworker describes it like health insurance. They pay a set amount, any extra cost, the consumer pays the difference.:mad::mad::mad: which i had to pay $426 out of pocket. Is this the coverage i get from Carshield? When i called Carshield, they claim someone from their company called me to explained the situation to me. NO ONE CALLED ME! The rep then proceed to find a clause in the the contract that states their "back-door escape" policy. I still got to call the dealership to see if they got paid, if not i got to pay the $575.89!
I am surprised that you are surprised. If it's advertised, there will be lies, lots of'em. I still receive auto insurance offers claiming I can save up to an amount that I am not already paying by quite a bit, which means they would be paying me to insure my cars which have premiums so low I'd have to drop coverage to get them any lower and that wouldn't save enough to make it worth it given the benefits of free windshield replacement. I broke two in a weeks time once.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
15,695 Posts
Sending an @wcthunder out for every future Carshield inquiry and opinion by members here on CF.

• Haha
Reactions: wcthunder

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I am surprised that you are surprised. If it's advertised, there will be lies, lots of'em. I still receive auto insurance offers claiming I can save up to an amount that I am not already paying by quite a bit, which means they would be paying me to insure my cars which have premiums so low I'd have to drop coverage to get them any lower and that wouldn't save enough to make it worth it given the benefits of free windshield replacement. I broke two in a weeks time once.
Yea...it should be illegal in the continental states😒. Of course i get a email from the dealership financial dept advertising their GM warranty...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My Jeep (again) is the only car with a warranty. It is a Chrysler Factory Service Contract that covers nearly everything until 2095 or 999,999 miles.
What's the catch...? cost? rules?

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Yea...it should be illegal in the continental states😒. Of course i get a email from the dealership financial dept advertising their GM warranty...
If I ever were to purchase a warranty it would be a GM warranty.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If I ever were to purchase a warranty it would be a GM warranty.
I had one. I was trying to save myself some $$$. I guess I got what I paid for... :cautious:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts