Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took long trip over the weekend 200+ miles one way. So when I was leaving home battery voltage show around 14-15V with engine running. Also I have radar detector is connected to garage door opener 12V wire. So we stopped at rest area after driving 150+ miles, everything was fine. Than after 15 min rest we got in the car and start driving, suddenly radar detector shows low voltage msg. I looked at information screen and battery voltage was 13 V, so it seems to me nothing unusual. So I keep driving to destination and unhook radar detector, since it was going nuts with "low voltage msg". At our destination, I restart the car, voltage went 15 V, I drove around the block and went back to 13 V again. So I decided just to give up for that day and deal later. So coming back all was working fine 15 V , no msg on radar detector, but after 1.5 hours of driving radar detector went nuts again low voltage I looked at battery voltage and it shows 13 V again, than low beam lights came up, as was getting dark, and than voltage went up 14 V after 10 min or so. The radar detector went normal mode again.

So question what is the problem - alternator or battery is so crappy can't hold 12 V, when alternator dropping to trickle charge at 13 V?

it seems to me alternator is working properly, since after lights came up voltage change to 14 V.

I 'm really confused with this issue.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,283 Posts
I would wire the radar detector directly to the accessory connection which is where the break pedal is. Also if you want plug the radar detector into the cigarette lighter to see if it's still giving you the low battery indication if not than wire it to something else.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
How old is your battery? If it's a delco replace it and your problems will probably be solved. The one battery thing did not cut it for the way I used my Escalade's and I was forced way back in 2006 to go to the dual police battery setup, had that setup in all dozen of my Escalade's and never had another battery issue from then on. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its still Dalco, and car build date 08/2009. I guess it's a time.

Still, guys from your experience, should the voltage drop to 13V during the long trip? I thought alternator should produce around 14.5 to 15.8 V all the time?

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
196 Posts
The alternator output is computer controlled based on load, temp, battery charge, and other parameters. A random reading of 13V is not abnormal. If the voltage output were truly low, you would have all kinds of DIC error messages and problems with other electrical accessories. I think your problem is the wiring for the radar detector

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
It is not uncommon as said to be at 13 volts after driving for sometime

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See I have never paid attention on battery voltage, and really don't remember what it was after long none stop driving. The only time it came my attention when I installed radar detector. I guess I will wire it to mirror harness.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,742 Posts
Is normal to go up and down as cutterman said. You can always test with a meter at the point where you are connecting the Detector and see if it matches the DIC and off the battery terminals. Sounds like the Detector...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts