Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one!
I have a lady friend that just had her battery tested and replaced.
The dealership in Tennessee charged her $142.50 labor that included a battery test/draw test.
I have worked at a Chevrolet dealership for over 15yrs and never saw a charge this high.
What is the going labor time hourly rate average?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
209 Posts
I work at a truck dealership so my first question is...

Was the car brought in to simply have a battery changed out OR was it written up as an electrical issue so that some troubleshooting was involved???

----------

If it was written up as a battery replacement and no diagnostic then shame on them.......and I assume that does NOT include the price of the battery itself..

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was towed in battery stone dead. Would do nothing when trying to start.
Tech says he jump started, charging system working correctly.
Tested battery, battery tested bad. replaced battery and verified fix. That was what was on the R.O.
labor $142.50
Parts battery $ 165.90
total repair $ 308.40 to diag, replace battery.
Sounds to me a ripoff. I also call that Dealer and asked what a battery diag and replacement would cost and he said depending on the test max for a draw test was $50.00
Thanks

·
Registered
06 Cadillac DTS
278 Posts
It's only 10 min to change a battery. Tech was correct to boost it to check the charging system. The whole procedure wouldn't go over 20 min. They aren't called stealer ships for nothing.
Norm.

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
Dealers here charge $120/hr.
Sometimes the back seat gets stuck and does not release as it should.
Tech might have done a little clean up while the seat was out. That could add to the time.
But, that being said . . . that labor charge given the immediate diagnosis of the vehicle should be a mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts