Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 eldorado etc.On the + side of the battery there is 3 wires,the outside wire is on one lug,then there are two more wires that are on the second lug and those two appear to be connected together.My question is,keep in mind i bought this car used,the two inside wires had the terminal cut off,and a 2.00$ temp connector was installed on them,with a lot of black tape,do those two wires connect to my starter?,or is the one wire by itself connect to the battery?Because i would like to repalce them tow wires,and knowing that the starter wire is a big job to do,being under the intake,i am hoping the wires i would like to replace connect to the computer?
Any help would be nice,i am having problesm with my dic going blank,then the car will start for about 2 seconds,then die,and at that time i have no headlights or interior lights.It will crank no problem,then start,then shut off.Please,any help,thanx stranded eldo owner,lol

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: Battery termianl question?

Only the large one goes to the starter. I think the other two go to the alternator and fuse block, but don't quote me on that.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That is precisely correct Ranger.
One goes under the intake to the starter, one goes down to the back of the Alternator and the third runs accross the subframe to the fuse block in front of the strut tower on the left side of the car.
Those connections you described are very unreliable. Get an OE replacement cable and replace that mess you have. I think the new one has all 3 cables tied to one lug at the battery instead of the split connection you have now.
It's not too hard to do, but on the ground it will take you some time.
Start by disconnecting the battery, (so you don't see any sparks) then when you take the nut off the alternator be sure not to spin the stud. Loosen the nut carefully and make sure the stud doesn't rotate or you'll have to replace the alternator as well, and that is NO FUN. Remove the fuse box cover and disconnect the cable at the bottom. The rest I am sure you can figure out, but be careful when lifting the intake.
You only need to "tip it up" on the right side so you can access it to remove the nuts and bolts. There is no need to completely remove the intake.

I think this will go a long way to addressing your problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help,i just ordered a new cable from caddi,i need the cable that goes to the alternator and the terminal block,it should be a fairly easy job,my alternator is not too old.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you can change the Alternator, you can change this cable, it's kids play by comparison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts