Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new here and I'm looking for a thread about picking the right battery tinder for a 2008 CTS. As I'm sure most of you are aware the engine compartment has very little room for add-on equipment. Which means most battery tinder's are too big. I have searched this forum and so far I have located a thread discussing the location of putting a battery tinder (Engine Compartment VS Trunk) , but no mention of what type/brand of battery tinder. I would rather put it in the engine compartment if possible.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here in this forum. I would be very grateful for any guidance. V/R James

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This should be a straight forward process, unless you're trying to fit a battery tender made around 1980 which I imagine is pretty big. There should be a stud beneath the hood on the passenger side that serves as the B+ connect for jumper cables when receiving a jump start, although I've never taken a close look at it. You should be able to connect there and to any of the many frame, or engine bolts for a ground. There should be enough room to store a couple, or three battery tenders on the passenger side in the size range that I recall seeing them available in. Just disconnect the negative battery terminal in the trunk before install, read your owners manual and the product install manual regarding hookup.

Mind you, I'm thinking of a small 1.5-2 amp charger. Never used one before, but see no need for a high amp maintenance source.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,986 Posts
Welcome, JF5000G--

I purchased a few battery maintainers and they are well worth the investment if you live in an area where batteries are idle for extended periods of time. I'll even hook up the CTS if I leave for vacation.

The auxiliary outlet in my CTS is always hot, so I purchased an adapter and run my CTEK unit right from the center console. Before that, I hooked it up right at the battery.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,459 Posts
Your best bet would be to get a small Battery Tender or Battery Minder (0.6 - 1.5 Amp) and use the alligator clip method of connecting it any time the car is left for more than ..... 6 ..... days or so.

All these units have a voltage blocking diode across the + and - 12 Volt output - permanently connected, if that diode pops when the engine is running the failure can result in very expensive electrical system damage.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,673 Posts
Beautiful.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,673 Posts
Well, my man, if you haven't figured out that we're a sarcastic bunch that has a good time then you're in the wrong place!

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,091 Posts
as for Battery Tenders remember that Battery Tender is a name used by Deltran for theirs...I have used Deltran Battery Tender Plus' for my cars and cars I take care of since 2001 without issues...on the CTS I use the connections under the hood...on the left side when standing in front of your car...

Bill

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
Is your battery AC/DC, JF5000G? Just kidding of course.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
This thread needs to be amp'd up.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,986 Posts
Certainly could benefit from a jumpstart, although the OP may be charged up over us boosting his thead.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,459 Posts
I'd hate to charge for this advice because the time and rate would vary with output.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts