Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two older Cadillacs with lots of electrical displays, gadgets. I don't drive these cars a lot and want to put both on a battery tender. I have been using a regular battery charger, but this allows the battery to lose charge when not connected, then fully recharge when connected, etc. I'd like to keep the battery constantly charged. Can you recommend what I need and where to find? There are so many of these chargers that I am not sure what to get. I would like to find one that does not require a lot of installation -- one I saw required a small box to be attached under the hood -- I would like to avoid this if possible. If there are models that attach directly to the terminals (easy connection and removal), I think those would be preferable. Thanks!

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
The 12V Battery Tender Jr. at $39.95 is really all you need for long term storage. DO NOT have it, or any charger, connected when you start the car !!!!

You might Google "guest battery charger" or "xantrex battery charger" and surf around there for battery maintainers. Marine stores sell a ton of them, both in-house and online.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
The Battery Tender Jr. is available for around $25 on http://www.sportsmansguide.com

Works fine for my cars & bikes.

Has a card you attach to the battery, and then you can just plug into the lead, so there is no need to have the seat off the bike, or the hood open... pretty slick.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily
45 Posts
Battery tender Jr. works great. 0.75 amps of output, so it takes a while to top off a battery. I've wired in the quick disconnects that came with my units (got 2). I'll put it on if I'm not drive either of my vehicles for as little as a couple of days.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I have an AGM battery in my sailboat. They are more sensitive to recharging so I use a smart Guest 2611A 5amp 3-stage electronic charger. The 3rd stage prevents overcharging. A lot of trickle chargers can damage batteries.
Stick with the Battery Tender Plus if you go that route.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
I use the Plus, and it works well. The one that EcsTatic has looks pretty sweet too. Hope all this helps, Caddymark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts