Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ELR
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the group...

How has your battery range performance held up over time?

I have a 2016 ELR with the performance package and have 17k miles. In first year, I was getting 40-44 miles of range and now I am closer to 38-42. Curious to hear other experiences. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 ELR Crystal Red/Light Cashmere
136 Posts
You seem to be concerned about your battery capacity. You can easily check your battery capacity. Start with a full charge and run until it switches over to ICE. Then look on the Energy Usage screen and it will tell you who much of your battery was used. On a 14 ELR it should say 12.2kWh to 12.2kWh used. The 16 has a slightly larger battery pack so someone with a 16 would have to post what the exact usable capacity is (probably about 1kWh more).

·
Registered
2014 Silver AC Luxury
27 Posts
It is also dependent on your driving. Going a different route with higher speed limits = lower range. Quick acceleration = lower range. It could be a subtle way you changed driving. Using the paddles and Adaptive cruise when appropriate helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So just to expand of what ELRDave and I are answering is your question is ambiguous.

Are you asking if you battery capacity is down or are you asking why your EV range estimates and milage is lower (changing)?

Also if you are asking about range an easy way see is at the end of each trip divide EV miles driven by kWh used. The Cadillac ELR is rated at about 3 (3.008) miles per kWh. So 24.2 miles and 9.1kWh used is 24.2/9.1=2.66 miles per kWh and lower range. 30.3 miles and 9.1kWh used is 30.3/9.1=3.33 miles per kWh and higher range.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses...my question is more around the natural degradation of the battery’s effectiveness to hold a charge due to the constant charge and discharge cycle. I heard a Tesla’s battery will lose 3-5 miles of range for 100k miles driven. I was more curious if the 14 ELRs have seen any battery degradation over the last 3+ years

·
Registered
136 Posts
1) You can test yours easily with the method I outlined (probably about 12.5 to 13kWh for the 16).
2) *In the Voltec system we don't have access to the *full battery (Tesla does) so we won't see the degradation until later (it's hidden).
3) The sample size of the ELR is too small (<3000) to draw a meaningful conclusion and you would have to look at Volt statistics.

*Battery size (2014) is 16.5kWh and we can use in pure EV mode about 12.3kWh which is a deference of about 4.2kWh. Probably about ½ (2.1kWh) is on the bottom/reserve and used in to power the car in conjunction with the ICE generator when we run out of pure EV range. So probably about ½ (2.1kWh) is not used and we can only charge (and see) to about 87%. So it would take more than 10% degradation for us to even see any.

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
402 Posts
My initial range seems to change with the seasons/temperatures. During the summer I usually see 39, sometimes 40 miles after a complete charge. Now in the fall/winter it drops to 35ish... I have a std 2014.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas....I ran my battery for full charge to full depletion. My 16 ELR with a 17.1kw battery used 12.3kwh and got 41.8 miles on EV. The temp in AZ dropped from the high 90’s to the low 80s which has seemed to improve the range by about 5-7 extra miles.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
4 Posts
Was the heater on? Was the defrost on? Was the radio on? All of these things combined could have easily used 1KW that would not have shown up in your 11.4KW. Also if the battery was cold it could have used energy to maintain itself that was not accounted for in the 11.4KW

If the battery was thermally stabilized at 75deg, then you took it for a drive at 75deg outside temp, then did not operate any of the above electrical loads, then it will most likely show 12.4 to 12.5

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was the heater on? Was the defrost on? Was the radio on? All of these things combined could have easily used 1KW that would not have shown up in your 11.4KW. Also if the battery was cold it could have used energy to maintain itself that was not accounted for in the 11.4KW

If the battery was thermally stabilized at 75deg, then you took it for a drive at 75deg outside temp, then did not operate any of the above electrical loads, then it will most likely show 12.4 to 12.5
Energy Usage: Since Last Full Charge must include ALL energy used including all accessories. While I haven't ran mine down many times here is a pic a proof. On Sep 3 went 36.2 miles and used 12.2 kWH on EV (3.04 miles per kWH) using AC on Max set to Auto 72º (outside 84º) and using stereo (CarPlay) 100% of the time. No way I ran my AC on Auto Max 72º and Stereo 100% of the time on only 100 wH or so.

Also when you are at a red light (not moving) your kWh usage can easily go up 0.1 (100 wH) used (AC or heat/stereo on).

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was the heater on? Was the defrost on? Was the radio on? All of these things combined could have easily used 1KW that would not have shown up in your 11.4KW. Also if the battery was cold it could have used energy to maintain itself that was not accounted for in the 11.4KW....
Yes this is incorrect. Here is my ELR setting in my garage powered on. I cut the heat to 85º/Max (windows down), both seat warmers set to high, stereo playing and headlights on. In 25 minutes it used 1.7 kWh all while in Park and not moving an inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 ELR
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have tested several times and what Julien said is true. The kw usage does not account for power used by AC, radio and lights. The other day I had 11.4kw used of EV before ER kicked in but got 41 miles of EV range.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts