Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for lunch today and when I tried to start the car it was cranking slow and it did start, but I believe my battery is in it's last leg :crying2: . It is the original battery, it has never been changed. (97 Seville). the amps are around 11.6 when I put the ignition to start. My question is, what battery is recommended to use? I was getting some price quotes, from dealer to auto parts store and it ranges from $69.00 to $134.00. the highest being the dealer of course. I would like to get the AC Delco again since it did last about 8 years, but am wondering what other brands would be as good? Thank you!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm interested in this also. I'm going to pick up my '94 STS with a brand new rebuilt engine tonight or Monday. There is an AC Delco warehouse/retailer near my mechanic and I'm deciding whether to go with the AC top of the line for my car or get an Optima Red or Yellow.

I'm considering another Delco because our 1998 Saturn Delco is still going strong 7+ years in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
boricuacaddy said:
I went out for lunch today and when I tried to start the car it was cranking slow and it did start, but I believe my battery is in it's last leg :crying2: . It is the original battery, it has never been changed. (97 Seville). the amps are around 11.6 when I put the ignition to start. My question is, what battery is recommended to use? I was getting some price quotes, from dealer to auto parts store and it ranges from $69.00 to $134.00. the highest being the dealer of course. I would like to get the AC Delco again since it did last about 8 years, but am wondering what other brands would be as good? Thank you!
My original battery crapped out in '99 or '00 IIRC. Since where I live not much is open on Sunday, when it happened, I bought the best Exide the local, and only open, parts store had to offer. Still starts like a champ.
FWIW
YMMV
OV
DFB

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
DFBonnett is correct again. I purchased a new Delco from a dealer for $130 just after buying a 98 Eldo w/40k and it went bad two years into the 6yr warranty. Then replaced it with a Delco and that went out very recently. (2 1/2yrs into the 6yr warranty) Look for leakage around the positive post. Maybe I just had two cases of bad luck, but now opted for an Exide, too. Same 6yr warranty at an auto parts store...and so far it is performing flawlessly- @$76cash with my install.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
I've had Optima Batteries... They are expensive, but worth it. Worked great for me. They were recommended for my Corvette, since apparently the engineering in the Optima Battery is such that it cannot leak, or is highly unlikely to leak. It's not full of watery acid, it's full of jelly, I guess... As I said, I have Optima now in my ETC and Tahoe, and I like them. Starts every time!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Batteries are like women. Some seem to last forever and other go out on you in a year. You can find people who swear by Delco and other who swear at them, as well as any other brand. Again, just like women, sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes you don't.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Ranger, your analogy about women is indeed a descriptive one, but I can think of a lot of elaborate differences, can't you? Nothing can be generalized. I just remember the old adage that my grandfather offered- he said "Always remember, the second bite off of a turd is a man's own fault!"

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to Autozone and got an AC Delco battery, I didn't give the old one as a core return , I had another one laying around that I used. When I got home, I changed the battery and it still cranked kinda weak. So I turned the key just enough to read the amps and sure enough it was low, about 11.2, I went back to Autozone and gave them hell about selling me a discharged battery. They gave me my money back and I went to Maverick Auto parts and bought an interstate Megatron. Which by the way worked just fine. Autozone in my opinion sells crap!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
I have said this before but I'll say it again. I once read that you should only by "dumb" parts from Autozone (filters, oil, coolant etc). Their parts are cheap for a reason. I have little expirience with them so I offer this only as hear say but it makes sense. "You get what you pay for" is a pretty accurate statement when it comes to auto parts for the most part. Corners must be cut somewhere to offer the same parts for less.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Ranger, great point about Women vs Batteries.... ;) I would say they all let you down eventually, but that might take us off topic. Boricuacaddy, I did have an Interstate once years ago, and it was a nice battery. Lasted 5+ years, which in Wisconsin, parking in the winter, is real good. There's a chain of stores in the midwest called Farm & Fleet, and they sell Optima Batteries at decent prices...

·
Registered
94 Eldorado NS, 03 CTS
44 Posts
You will find many batteries on the market are made by a few major manufacturers. Try this website for correct replacement and some cross reference information.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
Battery manufacturer's and Brand names list

Good thing your old one went dead now and not on a freezing winter night!
Good Luck

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too have heard nightmare stories about Autozone but I figured since they are the nearest place that carry the AC Delco brand. I went to them. but I wasn't surprised when I found out the battery was crap! I have not been to an Autozone in awhile and found to my surprise that they also sell stuff that does not pertain to automotive. Like portable home airconditioning, water coolers, toys and other cheap stuff. I thought I was in the wrong place for a minute. I guess they need to sell different items to stay in business. I had to go to Maverick Auto parts which is almost 22 miles from me, Just to get a good battery, I wish they would have carried the AC Delco brand but the Interstate battery I have heard is such as good. I trust maverick with quality parts always have. It may cost a bit more than Auto"ripoff"zone but I know I am getting quality! I have never had to return any item purchased from them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a Megatron from Interstate Battery in my 92 eldorado, worked like a champ 1000 cold cranking amps. I wanted to buy one for my 99 sts, but they don't make one to fit :rant2: . I'm looking for a good replacement as my 99 still has the factory battery and would rather replace it than get stuck this winter. Looking at an Optima but would be happy with AC Delco, have to see prices.... oh yeah, I can't find any local place that sells a battery for my car! Only a dealer! Why are 99 sts batteries so rare?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts