Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Esv. Had some nice weather decided to rip out the seats clean out any french fries and anything else that were under there from the kids. Basically spent a while detailing the whole interior all the while listening to some music. After a while the radio went off. I didn't think anything of it, I just thought it must be some run down protection or something. I went to start it ...nothing. I pulled out my multi meter and the battery read 1.7volts. That has to be impossible, the battery couldn't drain that low. Is this some sort of protection so as to not drain the battery? Regardless, I boosted it let it idle for a bit, shut it off, and it started no prblem three times. I measured the voltage at the battery and it read 12.94. I find this situation odd, any ideas?

·
Registered
Escalade
23 Posts
This is more common than you think. I experienced the same thing while having windows tinted(dome light on). Keep a good pair of jumper cables in your truck or get a second battery installed. There are several threads on the site concerning this matter.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
As said very common problem, there are just so many lights and the sound system really sucks power as well, this happened to me several times in 06' when I got my first 07', the dealer even did the TSB for the computer reflash that would prevent the battery from running down and always allow you to start the truck, tried it two days later and of course it did not work. Did some research and found that the 07' Police Tahoe's had dual batteries, two weeks later both of my 07' had dual batteries, of course I tow a lot and live half the year in the snow capital of the east coast, and cound not take a chance with my truck not starting when it gets to -40. Not saying you need dual batteries, but the stock Delco just does not get the job done

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
162 Posts
My truck battery died again! My 2004 Denali had an auto shutoff when the battery went low. Does the Escalade actually have a battery meter/ auto shutoff feature?
I'm not sold on the dual battery since that will just last longer but not prevent dead batteries. Same said for a new and different brand battery.
Why can't I leave the dome light on all night and start my Escalade the next day? My Denali did that without issue. It seems the battery monitoring or cutoff is faulty.
Does anyone have any insight on the auto shut off feature? I searched the forums and most lead to get a new battery or add a dual setup which only delays a dead battery(s)

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
162 Posts
I noticed in HCVONE's new 2010 escalade features he listed:
"Battery saver mode shuts off power when battery gets low due to extended accessory use"
Does this mean the 2007-2009 Escalade never had the F#$%N feature? Lame but would explain a lot.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I noticed in HCVONE's new 2010 escalade features he listed:
"Battery saver mode shuts off power when battery gets low due to extended accessory use"
Does this mean the 2007-2009 Escalade never had the F#$%N feature? Lame but would explain a lot.
The 2007-2009 has battery rundown protection, but it is not even close to the 2010 protection, before I added dual batteries to both 10's I left the doors open and the sound system on for about an hour and both 10's started, that sure was not the case with my 07's, 08' and 09', so whatever they did sure made a difference on the 10' models, still put dual batteries in because I have the cables from my other trucks

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
In my dual battery setup (two yellow top Optimas) I have an isolator and an in-cabin switch. When the key is turned both batteries are used for cranking (over 1700 CCA if I recall correctly) and when the car is off the second battery is completely isolated. When the car is running both batteries are being charged by the alternator. In the event that the first battery is completely smoked/dead/etc. all I do is flip the switch and the second battery takes over. I've had some fun and run the primary battery down a couple of times to test it and the switch/isolator works like a charm. I'll never get caught short with a dead battery, and like Carl/hcvone I do my fair share of towing and don't need the aggravation of a dead battery...

I went through 3 factory batteries in a year and instead of replacing garbage with garbage (even though its free garbage) I did the dual battery upgrade. The last time I was at the dealer with a dead OEM battery I laughed out loud, in their face, when they told me that the LEDs on my brake controller were responsible for killing the battery...overnight! Complete incompetent morons...

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
162 Posts
If you look at the 3rd sticky above you will know more about batteries than you will need.
Thanks for the heads up, but I did read that thread. It's titled "second battery". I'm not looking to install a second battery at this point. From Carl and Ronnin it appears 07 had battery protection, but it just sucks. However it was fixed in 2010. Since this was a feature that worked correctly on my 2004 Denali I think it's lame my 07 Escalade doesn't have this.

Don't get me wrong, Ronnin's setup sounds sweet how the 2nd battery gets charged when the engine is running but is only used when you flick a switch. Right now a Costco power station (self contained jump start) is a little more cost effective for me. I'd like to know what or how the 2010 battery save is different from the 2007...and then make the upgrade (like I did for bluetooth) by swapping out a part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts