Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recomend what is the best cold weather battery for a 08 srx v6 ? this is my second battery in less than 2 years. when ever the temp is near or below zero the car wont start with out a jump, this happens every time. I presently have the best battery that auto zone has at almost two hundred dollars, I could probably get a replacement but I don't wan to take a chance on the same kind, (I think its called a Duracell) most people seem to like the interstates.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V8
84 Posts
I have the same problem with my 07 SRX v8. New battery from the dealer 3 months ago, everything is fine until it gets cold then have to jump start. Charging System checks out at the dealer too. My Wife's car a Pontiac G6 starts with no problem when its cold. 3rd battery in this SRX. Good thing I have lifetime battery replacement from the dealer. Probably not the brand name of battery installed in a SRX. I bet they all go dead when its cold. Wish we can get an answer.

·
Registered
none
22 Posts
Did the batteries test bad or have low voltage? It may be that your starter is binding when it's very cold.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V8
84 Posts
My batteries all were dead at start up in the cold, whole vehicle dead, not even a dome light. Jump start and A OK we are off. Batteries were checked at the Cadillac dealer and found to be bad and replaced. I average a battery a year in this SRX. I always carry my Jump n Carry in the vehicle just in-case.

Myshultz is your battery completely dead like mine before the jump.

Oh I forgot, the last time the battery died and jumped it "always with my jump box" the vehicle started but all the service lights came on and the Cadillac dealer had to reset everything.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
67, you've got a bad drain in the system, better to find it unless you like dead batteries. A likely cause is the entertainment system, amps are always on.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be completely dead alltho the power door locks, seats and park lights work. the car will start as soon as I touch the jumper to it.

----------

glake89- except that if it is a bad drain in the system wouldn't it be there all the time ? only have a problem in the cold weather.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
I was mainly commenting on post #4. As for just in the cold, I'd look at ground connections on engine and frame.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V8
84 Posts
Thanks glake, its funny that this morning it was -3 and it started fine. I bet it is what you say, a bad ground somewhere. I think shultz and I should start looking. Thanks again

·
Registered
2008 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
weccjc67- I say again, why would the ground be bad only in the severely cold ? I still haven't received any battery recommendations.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V8
84 Posts
Hi Shultz, any battery of the proper specs for the SRX will do. It is not a battery brand that is the problem, just make sure you get exactly what Cadillac recommends for our SRX. What we have it is a an issue with the vehicle. If I do not drive the SRX for 2 days " Weekends" in very cold temps my battery is totally dead " not even a dome light". There is a current drain in these vehicles and the possible cause is more than likely a bad ground which I have found out other people have had also had this problem on this forum. I may even think it is a bad ground on the computer since the computer controls the dome lights as well as the starter operations and the little glitch from the bad ground causes the malfunction. Like I said earlier every now and then after a jump all my service lights are on pointing to a computer issue. As I am no expert in how extreme cold temperatures affect an electrical ground and loose connections I would still check them anyway.

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6
86 Posts
myshultz

I replaced our battery (2008 3.6) last February (2014) with the WalMart H6 - $114 or so. Didn't really take a lot of time looking around, it was a Sunday morning so would have had a limited selection at best at that time. I'm not sure if it is the recommended battery. I was looking for one that would fit, size-wise, and at the cold cranking amps. Can't help in the temperature department, it does get cold here (Oklahoma) but we have a garage and the times it has been left in the cold for hours we have experienced no problems, yet. Best of luck.

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
So myschultz : Next time it's not starting you must check a few things with a DMM ( digital multi meter ) . This is a must have tool if you own a car, motorcycle or pinball machine . First check the 2-bolts on the battery +and - then take the lid off the fuse box and check the + cable to a bolt anywhere on the car then report back on what you find . sometimes you can show 12.6 v on the DMM but when you go to crank = 0.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Costco's Group size 78 (sidepost) fits perfect. 800 CCA, $68.00 at the time I purchased it
Jan 09 and still running
to me a 650cca is underpowered

12-14-13 09:53 PM
12-14-1209:53 PM

1 month shy of 5 years and after spending the $68 for the first one Costco prorated it and gave me about $48 back. 100 month warranty -- Replaced it with the same. This time it was $85.00 for the new one.

Thread here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/157132-srx-battery-replacement-2005-v6.html#post11504898

·
Registered
2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC
875 Posts
My 2007 N* was built August 2006 and I had to replace the original battery with Delco in April 2011. It would not hold a charge. I am now having much the same problem which does not relate to cold weather. I am in Phoenix AZ area. I have had the battery tested at NAPA and Autozone and both say it looks OK. I am convinced that batteries reach a point that they will not hold a charge and will still test OK very much like the original one. One problem a near dead battery causes is a bunch of read outs to check everything from power steering to stabilatrak. Think I will try the Costco you mention.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Do a search on Amazon for AC Delco AGM Battery... I know the 2010 takes a type 48. AGM is the best battery for the truck. Wet batteries will never outperform a AGM. Amazon had a crazy price over the summer for $121- delivered to your door. Did my SRX and Escalade. I posted battery swap on the 2nd Gen forum with photos. If I find the link I will post it here. The Dealer wants over $295- for that battery.
AGM can withstand lower voltage and recharge over and over. WET batteries go bad after 1 or two times with a low charge on them, they never recover fully or go bad.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
i just replaced the ORIGINAL battery in my 10+ year old SRX. Wasn't having any problems but did it as a preventative measure. Had Delco dealer do it for $230 instead of doing it myself. Noticed on this forum that some have had problems after doing it themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts