Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I have a 97 Catera that is giving me alot of problems. The main one now is that since April, it has gone through 3 batteries. The alternator is less than a month old but something keeps killing the batteries. Also there is a 20 amp fuse in the larger fuse box by the battery that keeps blowing out.

Does any know what could be causing the battery and that fuse problem?

And on the instrument cluster on the dash, there is a light that comes on that is an exclamation point (!). What is that for?

Thanks,

Mantia40

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
I think the (!) is the indicator that the auto lights (twilight sentinel?) is off.

If you're blowing fuses, I'd think there's a short somewhere. What is the fuse for? I would find that out and get it fixed first before chasing after the battery problem - they could be related.

You've been through 3 batteries - does that mean that they would no longer hold a charge or had low voltage? Did they frequently go dead and have to be recharged, or were they fine until they died?

If you haven't already, you should get the battery, alternator, and starter tested. Autozone or Advance Auto (probably other places) can check these on you car for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts