Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last time I had to boost my car I took it to advanceauto and auto zone and everything checked out fine. Battery was charged and alternator was working perfect. Today I go to the store come home and attempt to leave again and there isn't enough juice to keep the lights on the inside bright. The voltage checked in at 8.7. Earlier today when I was checking my MPG the voltage was in the high 13's. This is strange because I have a oil level sensor that needs to be replaced so I have to cycle through the DIC everytime I start the car and the voltage was fine meaning above 13V since Christmas eve which was the last time it left me stranded. By the way all terminals are tight and free of corrosion. Repairs with my car usually come in pairs and I just put rotors on it Mon. Is this problem rare or am I looking at a major electrical problem?:hmm:

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
The voltage was 8.7, with the car running??? Or was the car shut off???

Battery tested good, but how old is the battery???

My .02 cents, if the car was off, and voltage was 8.7, the battery either won't take a charge, or won't HOLD a charge for very long....

If the battery actually is good (??), something in the car is drawing off the charge.... a glove box light with a bad switch, something left on, something plugged in a cigarette lighter, bad cigarette lighter....something along that line, causing a discharge.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ELC
112 Posts
Hello
I heard recently where a 1998 Eldorado owner discovered the trunk mounted CD box lid was open and drawing down his battery. If have such in trunk you might check that. Good luck.
RDH

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I'm thinking that the battery won't hold a charge for long. Last night I cleaned the connections again and replaced the bolt on the positive which was stripped. The car fired right up. The only thing that could possibly draw power could be my cell phone charger but if I'm correct the cig lighter should go out after the car has been turned off I'm not sure how long the line stays live though. Today everything seemed fine when I took the kids to school and the voltage didn't drop below 13.2 and that was standind still driving it was around 14.3.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
My cigarette lighter stays on all the time.... so, be careful what's plugged in there....

I admit that from time to time, I leave my cell phone plugged in overnight, but I haven't had a problem.

What was stripped, the HEAD of the bolt, where you put the wrench, or the THREADS of the bolt, where it engages the battery?? Either way, you may have found your problem.... with a stripped head, it would be impossible to get it tight enough....

That being said, when I am having some kind of goofy electrical problem, if I am even remotely suspicious of the battery, I replace the battery as step one. Including the bolts. Clean up everything. I don't know if people still do this, but I clean the terminal ends, smear white lithium grease on everything, and then crank the bolts in TIGHT.

I had a problem a few years ago, battery that supposedly tested good, and I couldn't figure out the problem, and I got frustrated and bought a battery anyway, and wa-la, problem gone.

A red-top Optima Battery is around $138. That's higher than some, but they've been very good to me. The Optima is the one that looks kinda like a 6-pack, not really a perfect rectangular box.

That's cheap insurance. I'd start there, and see what happens.

Good luck!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
A loose connection could certainly cause problems like that.
Keep a close eye on it.
If the battery is new, charging system is working okay and connections are clean and tight then you could have a parasitic load.
There are things that can go bad that might cause it but it sounds like you may have already figured it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out the grounds, with all the electrical BS on the car, if you're not getting a good ground, it will really mess with you.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok after having everything checked the car died on me today. The culprit seems to be the alternator. While taking the kids to school I recevied these messages in this order. 1) stability reduced 2) traction control light 3) ABS and airbag light 4) battery no charge 5) check charging system. While these messages are going across the DIC the car is loosing power and I'm trying to find a spot to pull over. I finally make it to a church parking lot but by this time the battery is almost dead i mean the radio is blinking and the lights on the dash are so dim that you could barely see them, but the car is still running. There isn't enough juice to pull the codes and the RPMs on the car are below 500. I try to pull in to a parking spot so I don't block the driveway and it takes me almost 5 min to move 10 ft and the car shuts off just as i get over the speed bump so I can roll in. Has this ever happened to anyone? The alternator isn't 60 days old so I guess the noise that I was hearing wasn't the power steering, but is it common for all of those issues to happen before the car just cuts off like other cars when the alternator goes and the battery dies and are the alternators known to burn out like that

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aftermarket, got the part before I did the research and I know the salesman so I got a deal due to the fact that it was in stock. When he pull up the parts he only asked me did my car have a heated windshield. I usually do OEM but since I didn't have a system like my honda I didn't think it was that big of a deal

·
Registered
33 Posts
strange because I have the exact same problem, and planned to have my altenator replaced this weekend....oil sensor light has been on for a while..I was driving, battery light came on, then traction control light, then check charging system message, radio turned off, lights in the car started to dimm, then I lost some power. When I got home tried to restart the car and the battery was dead. I would hate to replace my altenator for $300.00 and that not be the problem. Please keep me updated if you get yours fixed before mine. My mechanic also says that the electrical system in this car is complicated so they offer a $20.00 system check that I might go for.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got the car towed to the shop this evening so I'll know for sure in the morning. They're going to slow charge the battery and run the test before they pull it out. Last night i tried to move the car and the same thing happened. so I hooked the jumper cables back up so I could pull the codes and I got like 20 of them. All seem to be caused by lack of power. The first one was fuel pump feedback low voltage. Its like the car was shutting down everything so it could keep running... I'll keep you informed. I'm just glad that I got a mech that doesn't mind working on it. Nobody else wanted to touch it and you know what time it is when you go to the dealer

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok went out side today and the car started up like nothing was wrong, I don't understand when I got home the car wouldn't start like the batt was dead, now 2 days later it starts fine???? I know the car doesn't charge the batt when the car is turned off..,,after starting the car today I got the same oil low message and battery no charge, I'm thinking about replaceing the batt and seeing what happens

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have checked the cables? Anyway went to the shop today and it was the alternator. It was providing no volatge whatsoever. I actually seen how they take it out and its a pain in the ass. My battery checked out good. Bad news is my AC compressor is leaking:banghead: I can't win for losing

·
Registered
33 Posts
question I always thought that if you disconnect the battery the car would still run because it's running off of the altenator? so if my battery cables where bad would I have the same problem.....it seems strange to me that my car did all those things and the next day it started with no problem? :bomb:

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
In a very simple setup, an engine CAN run off the alternator. But these cars have very complex electronics and bad batteries or alternators can manifest themselves in many different, and sometimes very odd, ways.

When it "doesn't start", does the starter click, like it's engaging, or do you get nothing? Does your radio work? Do you have any electrical function at all. I would closely check your battery cables and their connections to the battery, to the ground points, and potentially even the starter if you can't find anything else wrong. It sounds like an intermittent bad connection or corrosion.

I had to have my '97 SLS towed a month or two ago, about 2 weeks after replacing the battery with a new ACDelco Professional. The starter wouldn't even click, but the radio worked. I started jumping to all sorts of conclusions, like having to replace the starter, having to replace the battery again, doing new battery cables, etc. All it was was a loose battery cable on the battery. Ever since then, I keep a pair of pliers in the car so if anything simple like that happens again, I'll be ready for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had the car for about 2 months. When I attempt to start the car it seems like the battery is low. Normally when I start the car, the batter light stays on and the dash says check battery. One day I was driving home and I notice that other lights started to come one, such as traction control, and oil sensor light, then the dash said battery no charge, check charging system, low volts. The seemed like it was cutting off extras in the car, such as the radio turned off, dash lights lowered, etc, when I got home the car would not start, sounded like the battery was dead or dying. The next morning I came out, went to start the car and it started fine. I will check the cables when I get home just to make sure the battery is getting the proper charge.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah a loose connection will cause all sorts of problems. That was my problem the first time. I couldn't believe that I was stranded and had the tools to fix the problem. As a result that is the first thing to do when any charging problems occur.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The computer needs 9 volts to keep the car running, when the radio starts blinking and popping you are pretty much done.
Sounds like an alternator to me for sure.

Oh and for Pete's sake, don't start your car and unhook the battery to see if the alternator is good.
You can seriously fry stuff by doing that.
This isn't the 60's anymore!!
That's like unplugging your computer to turn it off or worse!
All the computers and electrical crap on your car need nice clean electrical paths, they get unhappy when they don't have that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts