Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 DeVille, 05 CTS-V, 09 Lexus IS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 CTS-V was 5 years old on May 27 (delivered 6/4/04) and my battery is giving indications of failure - it's the stock battery, so I'm actually surprised that it lasted this long (after reading some of the posts on this forum.)

I'm open to a replacement battery other than the stock Delco - any suggestions? I know there is something unique about our batteries. What should I look for? My dealer originally told me a replacement Delco would cost me $200.00 plus 1/2 hour labor - I politely told him I'll look elsewhere, thank you.

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
There was a thread on this like 2 days ago. I'm sure a search would yield lots of hits.

I personally added an Optima Red Top (Group 78) last week for about $150 and it fits perfect in the old location and holds down with the stock tie-down.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Everstart 78-N at Walmart has more cold cranking amps (770) than anything else on the market. And it costs about $75. Had one for two years. Great battery.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
I definitely just made this same exact thread this weekend.

I bought an Optima Red Top (group 78) without the top posts for $180 from Autozone. Went in quickly and with no fuss.

If yours is showing indications of failure you would be smart to have that extra battery on hand and installed soon.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
The optima's are rated at 800CCA's.

I have had many years of experience beating up optima's in extreme conditions, and they outlast anything on the market.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Everstart 78-N at Walmart has more cold cranking amps (770) than anything else on the market.
As rjoffe stated the Optima Red Top is rated at 800, but as far as I know 1500 is the biggest/most.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Heh,

CCA Rating and actual real world testing are two different things.

We did testing on just about every manufacturer by basically short circuiting the batteries and seeing what their current capabilities were and how long they were able to supply that current.

I'll see if I can track down some of the curves.

If memory serves me right the winner in that test wasn't the optima (it came in second), but rather an Sears Die Hard. However the following year sears switched manufactureres and that original company went belly up as a result.

Ron

·
Registered
2011 Vagon TG, Black, Roof, Suede Wheel and Shifter, Polishe
204 Posts
Well, just dealt with this yesterday. I went with an Interstate 770cca. I was getting all kinds of messages on the NAV screen. Service Steering control, service stability control, figured the battery was causeing ghost problems. Mine also still had the Delco battery.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
The OEM is a Delco 101-6YR. It's rated at 650 CCA and is an expensive POS. Approx 130.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts