Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting the "battery not charging" message on my car when I first start it cold and it'll disappear after I drive for a block or I rev the engine up just a bit, it doesn't give me that message when the car is warm and works just fine throughout the day. I know it isn't just a glitch because I can see my lights get brighter when the "not charging" message disappears. Is this a sign of a failing alternator, alternator pulley or the belt tensioner? The belt doesn't squeak and looks good.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Interesting...I've been getting the same message on my '99 D'Elegance since this past Friday (3/4/11).
My alternator was replaced just 2 1/2 months ago.
My battery is relatively new. Changed it in June or July of 2010 so it's not even a year old.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
You MAY have either a high resistance F (field) or I (ignition) wire connector. These are the excitation voltage connections which "starts" alternator charge and controls volt/amp output. Check the alternator electrical connector.

For car builders, this is a normal occurrence with "one wire" alternators which require quite a bit of extra rpm to "wake up".

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
How cold was it? (Helps if you tell me in degrees celcius) Cause doesn't the cold resist electricity flow? Maybe the terminal on the alternator was cold for a while.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Update on my above post:

My 2 1/2 month old alternator is being replaced.
A test drive by the repair shop I had taken the car to at first showed no indication of a problem but just as the car was being parked the "Battery not Charging" message appeared and a resulting check with a meter confirmed that alternator was not charging.
It appears that the problem is intermittent and even a relatively new alternator can fail.
On the good side, Advance Auto Parts replaced the defective alternator and also paid the $60.00 labor charge.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
710 Posts
$60 for labor? Doesn't the radiator have to come out to replace it? Also someone else on these boards clued my into to YET ANOTHER design flaw of this car. The oil fill hole is directly above the alternator and oil spills on the alternator lead to early failure. If you just had your oil changed or put some in and dripped it this could cause temporary intermittent failure which often clears up.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
I know the Haynes manual lists removing the radiator on the '99 and I would assume similar model years as a step in replacing the alternator and it would probably make accessing the alternator easlier,but it can be done without removing the radiator.

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
i changed my alternator on my 97 a few weeks back. i honestly cannot see how anyone can possible change the alt. w/o pulling the radiator. i tried and failed. there simply is not enough room to get it out. i had to pull the fans and the rad out and then slide the alt all the to the drivers side of the car to get it out. i honestly would rather change an a/c compressor on these all day long then an alt. i did my a/c compressor last summer and can have it out and back in in less than an hour.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V, 20" Vogue rims, LS7 Clutch/Flywheel, Revshift Blue
22 Posts
How cold was it? (Helps if you tell me in degrees celcius) Cause doesn't the cold resist electricity flow? Maybe the terminal on the alternator was cold for a while.
This might be the most ignorant statement I've read for a couple of years.

----------

I'm dealing with the same issue right now on a 2005 cts-v. I bought a Remy "premium" remanufactured alternator from rockauto that gives me the warning light on start up in idle. If I give it a little gas, my voltage goes up to 14.5 and stays there. It never drops back down after I've driven it. I've even let it idle for ten minutes without issues. These non OEM alternators can be out of spec sometimes. They might meet the specs of another GM vehicle, but not a Cadillac. So I wouldn't call them bad or failing, just that they are for poor people who drive an impala SS.

I'm dropping in an OEM one today. If it doesn't work flawlessly , you'll hear from me again on this post.

Dropping the radiator isn't too bad. You could do it in an autozone parking lot if you know what you're doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts