Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

1999 Deville sedan, 88,000 miles.

Recently got a "Starting system disabled" dash warning when I tried to start my car. Called the dealer and he said it's the ignition switch, had it replaced for $558.00.

It's been a week since and I'm now getting a "Battery not charging" dash warning. Is it possible these two things are related? Could it be false positive? Is it worth calling the dealer and saying they messed something up?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
I'd be surprised if there was any relationship between the two and I'm pretty sure the dealer will agree and tell you to bring it in. I'd guess a bad battery or alternator. Pull the DTC's.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Deville & 04 CTS
37 Posts
Recently I posted a Fan and then an Alternator problem. As it started out my left fan was not working so I manually rotated it to just see if it was binding against the Radiator. As it turned out I found that the dealer bumped the fan/elec case and when I took it apart I saw that the Magnet was shattered. This had to have happened when the dealer did my Time Serts/engine removal etc. Anyway after rotating the Fan and I got the crunching noise I started the car and right away my Battery Not Charging came on. I believe that by rotating the Fan it must of sent a spike back to the Alternator causing this to happen. If I ever do anything like that again I will make sure I disconnect the battery.

I did the Alternater job and it was one big pain but thanks to the good advice on here I just did it step by step. MAKE SURE you use a piece of cardboard to protect the Radiator as the Alternator is like a press fit while sticking it up and into position. You also might have to chamfer the threaded boss on the top/front rear bolt (Alt) because the 15mm bolt sticks out about 1/16 and you can't back it out because it hits the SS sheet metal around the Exhaust. I don't know why they just didn't use a button head bolt or even a 5/16 hex head like the hot rodders use on Headers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts