Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Seville
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Battery No Charge - 92 Seville

Got the 'BNC' message just as I pulled in to park this morning. Can someone please tell me what voltages and ohm readings to check and where before I go and replace the alternator a/o battery? Also, is replacing the alternator on the '92 Seville documented anywhere on this forum, and if not, what are the basic steps to replace it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 Seville
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Battery No Charge - 92 Seville

More info. I just restarted the car to see if the message went away when I rev'd the engine. It did not go away. On top of that, I now hear what sounds like a backfire when I rev the engine and back off. Need help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
check your battery cables. If there is corrosion present then clean them off.That should help. Also check the battery itself. How old is it?? Also check for codes that are set in the DIC. When I received this message it turned out to be my alternator. The removal and replace procedure is documented on the forums. If you can't find it then I will try and locate the info for you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1992 Seville
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the alternator. Easiest alternator change I ever did. Release the belt tension, remove three easy to reach bolts, disconnect cables and it was out. $144 for factory rebuilt - lifetime warranty. Am still getting a very slight backfire, though, when in neutral and engine revving to 2500, but it's a lot better than when the alternator was dead. No backfire at all under load. Do you think the backfile could be related at all to the alternator problem; running on battery alone and then on moderately discharged battery? Alternator is putting out 13.6 13.9 volts with A/C on. Thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I also had a backfire upon start up when I had the message, "battery no charge", and then after changing the alternator I never had another backfire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts