Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing how time flies. The battery in our 2014 is now about 5 years old and while still showing good voltage has me wondering about replacement. Anyone stretched their battery replacement out further?

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
I always replace my batteries prophylactically before four years beacuse I don't want to be stranded. The average life span of a GM OEM Delco battery is around four years

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport Premium, 2019 Kia Soul+ Primo Package
416 Posts
"prophylactically"?! Makes me wonder what your autocorrect thinks you've been up to......:tongue2:

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
356 Posts
I had a '14 CTS that was reaching 5 years old from the build date and talking to the service writer about the same concerns he replaced mine under warranty. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

But I have a battery going bad story for ya'll. I bought a brand new Nissan Sentra back in 1986. The guy that I car pooled with bought the same model a couple of weeks later. We compared VIN numbers and they were only 200 odd digits difference. They were probably built on the same day in Japan. Fast forward about 3 1/2 years. We coming home from work one day in his car. The light turns green he pops the clutch and kills it. Turns the key to restart and gets NOTHING. No clicks, No nothing. Battery died needs replacement.

Less then 2 weeks later it's my turn to drive. I drop him off at home and swing by my house to grab some paper work. Pull in the driveway shut it off and run inside grab what I need jump back in the car, Turn the key and get NOTHING. Battery died. I always tell people there must have been a expiration date built into those battery's.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the replies. As an aside I checked YouTube to see how battery is replaced. WOW!! In my 2009 it was as simple as taking off the battery cover and pulling out the battery. In the 2014 it is a major event requiring removal of the inner liner, rear panel etc. I did call Advance Auto to see if they still would replace it for free as was done on the 09 and was surprised they said they would although half an hour is time allocated to do the job. Sometimes I think the engineers build the car then decide how to fit the battery in afterward. :rant2:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to have Advance Auto replace the battery as they install for free. Total cost will be $137 [20% internet discount special] and installation is free. I called Dealer and they wanted $280. I am curious if anyone else has had outside companies replace their battery and if there are any things of which I need to be aware to avoid problems?

·
Registered
2016 2.0t CTS Lux
18 Posts
I would stand there and watch them. It isn't difficult to get the rear panel off and remove the side panel in the trunk but it did take patience of which I believe an Advance Auto employee may be short on. I had to remove it to fully access the battery for an amp/sub install.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I plan to be there to supervise. Is there anything to worry about regarding a relearn after the new battery is installed or is the CTS self learning?

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
Several below:
After a power loss, such as
disconnecting the battery or
removing the maxi fuses in the
power distribution fuse block, the
following steps must be performed
to calibrate the electronic throttle
control. If this is not done, the
engine will not run properly.
1. Turn the ignition on but do not
start the engine.
2. Leave the ignition on for at least
three minutes so that the
electronic throttle control will
cycle and relearn its home
position.
3. Turn the ignition off.Programming the Power
Windows

If the vehicle battery has been
recharged or disconnected, or is not
working, the front power windows
will need to be reprogrammed for
the express-up feature to work.
Before reprogramming, replace or
recharge the vehicle's battery.
To program:
1. With the ignition in ON/RUN or
ACC/ACCESSORY, or when
Retained Accessory Power
(RAP) is active, close all doors.
2. Press and hold the power
window switch until the window
is fully open.
3. Pull the power window switch up
until the window is fully closed.
4. Continue holding the switch up
for approximately two seconds
after the window is completely
closed.
The window is now reprogrammed.
Repeat the process for the other
windows.
Comfort Open
To open the windows remotely,
press and hold K on the RKE
transmitter until the windows
fully open.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanks [I think:ill:]. After reading that I hope I don't regret my decision. So here are a couple of questions. I stopped at Advance today to prepare them for the replacement to be done later this week. They plan to hook up a lithium battery charger so I assume that will preclude having to do the above???
The only video I could find for this switch on YouTube was for a 2014 ATS. I copied all the steps for Advance but there was some confusion. 1st they remove 2 torx bolts for the back plastic panel. Then they mention peeling back the grey fabric cover but don't show if it is removed completely or just peeled back somehow. They only show the part of the trunk near the battery and the floor liner is missing. Is that just partially peeled back or is it completely removed? They also show a quick shot of the side panel in the upper rear removed but don't say why and just move on to battery removal. Was that being used to provide power with outside source during the switch?
I still can't understand why my 09 was a simple swap and the 14 is a nightmare with same engine. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am adding another question. To maintain power during the switch is the power supply hooked up through that side panel in back of the trunk or under the hood on the jumper posts?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I just finished with Advance Auto. I had a good guy who had done the change once before and was a "car guy" if you know what I mean. The only things to add to my procedure above is to completely remove the trunk mat and there is a trunk lite in that side panel and it is a little tricky to disconnect but it does with care. Put a power supply on the jump start posts in the engine bay so no power is lost during the switch. The torx bolts for the plastic panel were 45s. After removing the 2 plastic push pins for the side panel near the battery be very careful in removing it as it could tear. All in it took about 20 minutes and I am done. Yeah!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts