Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Cadillac DeVille Concours
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple of years have had an issue with a parasitic draw. Found that when I pulled the AMP fuse in the trunk, the parasitic draw seemed to be negated. On long trips I would re-insert the fuse so I could listen to some tunes but around town (left the fuse out as not worth the hassle of crawling into the trunk) and when getting to my destination after a long trip would pull the fuse. Never had another dead battery.

Finally thought we located the problem and replaced the BCM. Since then, it has gone 14 months without incident.

Recently the "service air bag" warning illuminated.

Then one day, battery was dead. Thought it was from not driving it (car sits in a warehouse). Re-charged the battery. Started the car and then noticed a slight miss in the engine and the service engine soon warning illuminated. I drove the car a mile or so and noticed that it was stumbling and if I gave it a good goose on the accelerator the engine made a popping sound (actual misfire). When in idle, it has a slight miss but when increasing the idle to speed up the engine will smooth out a bit. I decided to pull the codes to see what was causing the misfire thinking a bad coil or a TPS issue.

While pulling codes the first time I got the following:
PCM 0300 current (engine misfire detected);
PCM 0603 history (control module long term memory reset);
IPC B1552 history (keep alive memory (KAM) failure);
SDM B1147 history and SDM B1148 history (driver and passenger sides (respectively) airbag malfunction);
SDM B1136 history (loss of serial data - no lamp response);
SDM U1096 history (loss of communications with IPC (instrument cluster);
SDM B1327 history (device power circuit low);
PZM B1552 history;
PZM B1558 current (BCM Eprom checksum error);
PZM B1983 history (device power circuit low);
IRC B1983 history;
IRC U1129 current (loss of communication with amp);
IRC U1255 history (class 2 communication malfunction);
IRC U1064 history (loss of communications with DIM (dash integration module);
RFA U1300 history (class 2 short to ground);
MSM B2120 history (lumbar up and down sensor fail);
MSM B0856 history (Battery 2 out of range);
MSM B1983 history;
MSM U1096 history (loss of serial communications for class 2 devices);
MSM U1169 history (loss of communication with MMM);
MSM U1064 history (loss of communications with DIM);
MMM B1983 history.

As the codes started to cycle back thru a second time, PCM, IPC etc. the car then had the same condition that I had had with the car for a year prior to my changing the BCM (14 months ago) where there was a hissing sound coming thru the speakers with loud clicking/popping noises as all the lights and dash illumination dimmed out until the car was zapped of all electrical power.

I recharged the battery and pulled the 30A AMP fuse (as per personal experience) and began pulling codes again. This time:
PCM 0300 current;
IPC B1983 current (I am not listing any codes noted as "history".

The car then responded the same way and the power was zapped; battery dead, etc. No hissing or popping in the speakers as I had pulled the amp fuse. So this was new…without the amp fuse it still was zapped of all electrical power. There is no stopping it. Turning off the key and pulling key out of ignition does stop the zapping/drain.

I replaced the BCM with a known good used one, charged up the battery, started the car and noticed I still had a miss.

Started reading codes again:
PCM 0300 current;
IRC U1129 current;
IPC B1983 current;
ACM B1983 current;
PZM B1983 current;
IRC U1129 current;
SDM B1327 current;
MSM B0856 current;
MSM B1983 current;
MMM B1983 current.

Then the car did the same thing and zapped the battery dead.

What in the holy hell?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Your miss and battery drains probably not related. Probably have a coil out, goto parts store and see which cylinder missing.
What is the IPC 1983 code?
I would ignore all voltage related codes and Kam. Might not be bad idea to start checking and cleaning grounds also.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac DeVille Concours
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B1983 - Device Power 1 Circuit Low; I am assuming this relates to the battery when it gets zapped/drained.
Also, code B0856: Battery 2 out of range? What is battery 2?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
The only code you need to worry about right now is the P 0300. The rest are dead/weak battery voltage and data hiccups. (and the constant battery drain) Diagnosing RAP and excessive parasitic draw is a time consuming business.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Have your battery tested.
It may just be worn out and doesn't hold/take a charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts