Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My car is 1998 Devill with 220,000 miles. It had no problem before the cold weather hit chicago.

My battery is Interstate. Looks like only about 2.5 years old. The car had a "service charging system soon" message a few days ago when I drive on the highway. Then the battery dead when I arrive home. I guess the drive belt cause that then replaced it with a new belt. I also brought the bettery to Advanced Autopart to do a free battery test. They charge the battery then told me the battery is dead and they want to sell me a new battery for $75. Because my battery looks like new, I didn't listen to them. I put the battery back into the car and started the engine then I got another message on the screen: " Battery not charging"! I drived the car out for about a mile then came back. I opened the hood and I found smoke from the alternator area! The color of the smoke was black. I'm still not sure it was from alternator because the alternator is under the engine. Is it the smoke from the new belt? Oil the smoke from the alternator wires?
Is that true that my battery dead?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,439 Posts
Did you check the voltage on your information center? The looks of a battery is no indication of whether or not it is good. If it was dead and you tried to charge it by driving the car, you may have overworked and fried the alternator. I would assume since you changed the belt that you are sure the tensioner is working properly. Probqbly time for a new battery ................and possibly and alternator.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Sounds to me that the alternator seized or the tensioner seized, the black smoke is the new belt being destroyed by the seized component. I'll wager its the alternator thats seized. report back on what you find.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Battery, drive belt or alternator problem?

Thanks for your replys.
I brought the battery to sears. they charged it for about 45 minutes then told me the battery is good.

Today I started the engine then started high beam and a/c. after a while, the engine stopped because of drain of the battery. I guess the alternator may have problem because it was good, engine should keep running, right?

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts

31415926 said:
Thanks for your replys.
I brought the battery to sears. they charged it for about 45 minutes then told me the battery is good.

Today I started the engine then started high beam and a/c. after a while, the engine stopped because of drain of the battery. I guess the alternator may have problem because it was good, engine should keep running, right?
Yes, if the alternator is working properly the engine should keep running. If I were you, I would take the car to a trusted service station or center, have them put a full charge on the battery and then test the battery and the alternator.

Also, have you checked the alternator pulley and the tensioner pulley to see if they are free wheeling (with the belt off of course) or seized? They should both spin freely not unlike a skateboard wheel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Thank you for the reply! Yes, the alternator has problem. I think I'm going to replace or rebuild it. I guess I need to remove radiator before I reach the alternator, am I right?

·
Registered
2004 DTS - 1989 Coupe de Ville (since sold)
52 Posts
Just a side note here. I noticed that on my '89 there is a fuse in the driver's side panel that if bad stops the alternator from charging.
So check all the fuses too. It's cheap and easy. But with smoke being a suspicious clue under the hood, most likely there are other "issues" as stated above.
Just thought the fuse thing was worth mentioning though.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts