Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something keeps drawing the power from my battery. I recently replaced the battery and alternator but it hasn't fixed the problem. Cold temperature drains the battery faster, a band aid solution I used in the winter was to remove the fuses to the radio and windows with seemed to slow the draining speed, running the car every 8 hours kept the charge. Something is drawing power and I have no idea what it could be, has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on what it could be?

Model: 2006 CTS, 2.8L

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >132k miles
773 Posts
Check the map light switch (the slider in front of the sunroof). Make sure it is not in the forward stop position...just move it back behind the notch. This switch is supposed to turn off after 10 min (according to the owner manual) but mine drained the battery for a few days before I figured it out

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,330 Posts
I would continue doing what you're doing - removing fuses - to try to find the cause. I went through this a couple years ago - well, actually, I gave it to the dealer to track down, but in hindsight I wish I had just tried pulling fuses or relays myself. In my case it was the OnStar module, which hasn't been used as long as I've owned the car, but it was creating a 300mA draw. Disconnected that and it's been good to go ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The map light switch was on and turned it off, hopefully it will fix the problem. I'm a little annoyed they didn't catch that at the garage.

Pulling the OnStar fuse seems like a good idea since I never use it, where is the fuse located?

Thank you both for your great advice!

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
953 Posts
For a car that's aged, any little accessory can get shorted out.

Check every button or switch to make sure they all still work properly.

I've had door lock switches, and truck release switches short out, and even cause blown fuses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts