Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm sort of new to these forums but here we go. I've been having problems with my stereo and battery. It all started when I installed an aftermarket radio into my 2000 Catera. I've had the wiring checked so many times by different radio shops and that all tell me that the wiring is correct. I've noticed that the OnStar lights on the buttons remain on so I had OnStar removed and it worked for only 5 days then once again my battery died. It only dies if I leave it off for more than 12 hours. So I had my battery and alternator checked the alternator was bad so I replaced it. But it only was a temp solution. After 12 hours of leaving it off the battery died. I don't know much about cars, so I don't know what do to. Please Help!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Welcome, fatalreign! That's a tough one. Anybody wanna give this a shot?

If it all started when you installed an aftermarket radio, that's the first thing I'd check. Usually, there's a wiring harness adapter that they provide you so they don't have to splice each individual wire.

One thing I'd guess on is the wire that connects the radio to the dashboard lights so that you can dim the radio panel when the headlights come on. This is an optional wire, and you'd need a pin-out to locate it. It can be disconnected and your new radio will operate at the same brightness all the time. Something could be going on with that.

Or, if there wasn't an adapter harness and they connected your new radio directly to the fuse box, they may have it hooked up with an accessory that's always on. I usually hook stuff like that up to the power windows. This way you know that power will be eventually shut off to the new accessory after the ignition key is removed.

One other thing to check, there is a TSB out on Catera batteries and what they call "parasitic drain."

02-06-03-010

I'm sure you're not the first to experience this, and you're not the first to put an aftermarket radio in a Catera. Keep searching, Google is a powerful tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've noticed the yellow and red wires are separate. Meaning the they are not connected to the adapter. They go somewhere underneath the driver's side dashboard. And thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts