Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Crystal Red/Ebony SRX Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extremely unhappy with my Cadillac right now. It has been at the dealership for a week as they are trying to diagnose why my battery keeps draining. About three weeks ago, I was driving from NC to NYC and halfway through the trip when I stopped for gas, the car would not re-start -- totally dead. Called AAA (since Onstar button didn't work with no electricity to the car) and was towed to a local Cadillac dealership. Six hours later after they re-charged the battery we finally made it to NYC. By the way, before I went on my trip, I took to the car to the dealer for regular maintenance.

The following week back at home, I drive my car for 3-4 days (to and from work/errands) and then not for a couple of days. I go out to run an errand, and again, battery dead. Had AAA tow to the dealership and even though they have replaced the battery, they still can't diagnose why it continues to drain. I have had my car for 2.5 years with about 23,000 miles. There are no after market additions and all maintenance has been done by my dealer.

I get a voicemail today wanting me to call so they can discuss how often I drive, how long the car sits without driving, and how often I take long trips. What the heck does this how to do with why my car is not functioning properly? I had my Honda for 10 years and not once did I have to have my car out of my possession overnight, let alone a week. This is the second major issue I have had with this car. Over Christmas, the car was in and out of the dealership for a couple of weeks because of the Cue Entertainment and Navigation System.

Very frustrated Cadillac owner.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD
360 Posts
I think I would try another dealership. Doing a drain test is pretty easy. Did they check alternator for output?

----------

Once the battery is totally drained, it is 50 % gone. Don't let anybody tell you any different!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I don't leave the key fob in the car (stored in my purse).

The second dealer, my own dealer replaced the battery last Thursday. When I call today I will ask if they have replaced the alternator or anything else and what tests they have run.

·
Registered
2015 CTS
596 Posts
Your Cadillac has much more electronics than your Honda did and parasitic drains can be hard to duplicate or diagnosis. Did they give you a loaner car? If so let them keep it until they get it fixed and put lots of miles on the loaner. Life is too short to get frustrated over something you can not control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to the dealer this morning and the alternator is not the problem.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
I hope your problem is fixed quickly. Years ago I read in a car magazine that it is not a good idea to have your car serviced before a trip. A large percentage of cars that break down on a trip can be directly connected to the last person that worked on it. So if you are going on a trip have the car serviced a few weeks ahead, so if something goes wrong you will still be at your home base and not stuck somewhere on your trip.

·
Registered
360 Posts
From now on, it's a matter of elimination of tests. Parasitic draws somewhere now!!!! The new battery went down too!!! Did the new battery go down overnight? If so, it shouldn't be to hard to find
the parasitic draw

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance
94 Posts
You can display battery voltage on your dash. Just go to "Settings" It should read about 14 volts when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Any mechanic with minimum training and half a brain should be capable of checking your alternator output, battery condition and battery drain when the engine is off. Also have them check that all the lights go off when the door is closed. This is not a difficult problem for a good mechanic to solve. Time to change dealerships. Lots of things remain on even with the car off and locked. The clock and key fob sensor for instance. If you plan on leaving the car off for a month I would disconnect the negative battery cable. You don't have a big car problem, you have a big service mechanic problem. Capt. George

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 2010 SRX Premium, battery totally dead, this happen 2 times in one month. The car was new to us as well as the Push to Start feature. The car was totally dead after driving to work. Wife could not get into the car with the Key fob. Absolutely totally dead. OnStar/lights/radio nothing at all. Called road side assistance and I drove to the location where the car was. I put a meter on the battery, it showed less than 8 volts. Roadside proceed to jump the car. The car started immediately with no problems / lights etc. I kept my meter on the battery and it was interesting. the voltage went from 13.9 and was dropping slowly. Roadside said possibly bad battery / alternator. Drove the car home 30 miles. Parked the car. No problems for days.... Took it to several shops including dealer. AutoZone said bad alternator with tester, battery was fine X 2 Nappa did load test with meter connected, also said bad regulator / alternator. Pep Boys said no problems with battery or charging. Dealer also, no problem found. Someone on the forum figured it out, not a problem since. What happen was my wife remembered that she was not sure if she turned the car off properly and may have hit the PTS button a few times. That put the car into diagnostic mode, similar to turning the key to GEN in older cars. This is what caused the battery to drain dead. It may not be your problem, but this is one way the car will go dead.

Also, with most new vehicles, the alternator does not charge the battery at 100% all the time. To save fuel, the regulator will allow the voltage to drop from say 14.5 down to as low as 12.X, then the regulator will charge it back up. Several of the shops see this as a regulator failure with cheep test equipment, however, this is normal.

Additionally I have replaced batteries on all my vehicles with AC Delco Type 48 AGM batteries. They are way superior over the standard WET battery design we are use to. Amazon will ship them to your home for less than $180-

12,778 Posts
Extremely unhappy with my Cadillac right now. It has been at the dealership for a week as they are trying to diagnose why my battery keeps draining. About three weeks ago, I was driving from NC to NYC and halfway through the trip when I stopped for gas, the car would not re-start -- totally dead. Called AAA (since Onstar button didn't work with no electricity to the car) and was towed to a local Cadillac dealership. Six hours later after they re-charged the battery we finally made it to NYC. By the way, before I went on my trip, I took to the car to the dealer for regular maintenance.

The following week back at home, I drive my car for 3-4 days (to and from work/errands) and then not for a couple of days. I go out to run an errand, and again, battery dead. Had AAA tow to the dealership and even though they have replaced the battery, they still can't diagnose why it continues to drain. I have had my car for 2.5 years with about 23,000 miles. There are no after market additions and all maintenance has been done by my dealer.

I get a voicemail today wanting me to call so they can discuss how often I drive, how long the car sits without driving, and how often I take long trips. What the heck does this how to do with why my car is not functioning properly? I had my Honda for 10 years and not once did I have to have my car out of my possession overnight, let alone a week. This is the second major issue I have had with this car. Over Christmas, the car was in and out of the dealership for a couple of weeks because of the Cue Entertainment and Navigation System.

Very frustrated Cadillac owner.
Hello goddesspt2,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with this battery concern in your SRX. We can certainly understand how frustrating it can be to require prolonged trips to the dealership for an issue. Please know that we are here to provide an extra layer of support. If you would like for us to look into this further, feel free to send us a private message with your contact information, VIN and involved dealership.

Kind Regards,

Samantha N
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you are going to leave the vehicle sit for an extended period of time, get a battery tender. I have 3 (Deltran Tender Plus) they work really well. Don't bother with unhooking the negative cable.
Hookup your tender and walk away.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
590 Posts
The key statement she made and should be brought to the dealers attention is she drove it from NC to NYC. Stopped for gas 1/2 way there and battery was dead. Either bad battery or bad alternator. There lies the answer. Not phantom draw as the few hundred mile trip took that out of the picture.

·
Registered
SRX Performance
48 Posts
A 12 volt car battery is actually fully charged at 13.8 volts. Its 2.3 volts per cell and 6 cells per battery. If a single cell starts to fail the battery can appear to operate normally.
This doesn't sound like a battery issue since the battery was replaced. Pretty much all vehicles continue to use battery when off. Im glad to hear about the diagnostic mode. I never heard of that before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can display battery voltage on your dash. Just go to "Settings" It should read about 14 volts when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Any mechanic with minimum training and half a brain should be capable of checking your alternator output, battery condition and battery drain when the engine is off. Also have them check that all the lights go off when the door is closed. This is not a difficult problem for a good mechanic to solve. Time to change dealerships. Lots of things remain on even with the car off and locked. The clock and key fob sensor for instance. If you plan on leaving the car off for a month I would disconnect the negative battery cable. You don't have a big car problem, you have a big service mechanic problem. Capt. George
Thanks for reminding me I can change my display to show the battery voltage. Also, I will be taking my car to a different dealership from now on. I did pick up my car yesterday. The service manager indicated that for several days, all modules were turning completely off and there has been drainage detected. So, hopefully this problem is fixed.

----------

I had a similar problem with a 2010 SRX Premium, battery totally dead, this happen 2 times in one month. The car was new to us as well as the Push to Start feature. The car was totally dead after driving to work. Wife could not get into the car with the Key fob. Absolutely totally dead. OnStar/lights/radio nothing at all. Called road side assistance and I drove to the location where the car was. I put a meter on the battery, it showed less than 8 volts. Roadside proceed to jump the car. The car started immediately with no problems / lights etc. I kept my meter on the battery and it was interesting. the voltage went from 13.9 and was dropping slowly. Roadside said possibly bad battery / alternator. Drove the car home 30 miles. Parked the car. No problems for days.... Took it to several shops including dealer. AutoZone said bad alternator with tester, battery was fine X 2 Nappa did load test with meter connected, also said bad regulator / alternator. Pep Boys said no problems with battery or charging. Dealer also, no problem found. Someone on the forum figured it out, not a problem since. What happen was my wife remembered that she was not sure if she turned the car off properly and may have hit the PTS button a few times. That put the car into diagnostic mode, similar to turning the key to GEN in older cars. This is what caused the battery to drain dead. It may not be your problem, but this is one way the car will go dead.

Also, with most new vehicles, the alternator does not charge the battery at 100% all the time. To save fuel, the regulator will allow the voltage to drop from say 14.5 down to as low as 12.X, then the regulator will charge it back up. Several of the shops see this as a regulator failure with cheep test equipment, however, this is normal.

Additionally I have replaced batteries on all my vehicles with AC Delco Type 48 AGM batteries. They are way superior over the standard WET battery design we are use to. Amazon will ship them to your home for less than $180-
Nice Ride, when the PTS was hit too many times, does that mean the light is left a yellow on the button? Basically, I just want to know if there is a way before I get out the car to make sure I haven't left it in diagnostic mode. Everyone is providing really great information. Thank you.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
I don't remember, however the dealer should be able to tell you. It may also be in the OM. Another problem I found that can be confusing and cause problems is when my wife starts the car with her key, then I drop her off and go park the car and I have no key with me. When I hit the PTS to turn off the car it will say no Fob found, Press to restart car. I kept checking if the car locked but the lights inside the car stayed on. I just went and retrieved her Fob and started and shut down the car, I did not want to take the chance I left it on again to go back to a dead battery. Hopefully someone else can chime in, I know in one of my other posts someone had the answer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts