1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

2006 STS 3.6L

i went out to my car this morning, the batter was dead. I hooked up jumper cables and it fired right up.

when the car started, it has the ABS light on, the BRAKE light on, and the TC light on.

In addition to that I had a service stability system warning, a service brake assist warning, and a service steering system warning.

In addition to that I had no power steering (or very little power steering).

I figured that when the battery died it probably just threw a bunch of sensors/systems out of whack.

I drove the car around for about 30 minutes, came back home, parked it, turned it off, and turned it right back on....

And my power steering came back, and all the lights on the dash went away and the service steering warning went away also, but the service stability system and service brake assist remained on.

What the heck happened? When the battery died did it freak out the electrical system? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Will these warning systems eventually go back to normal once the car has been driven for a little bit?

Help...

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
Mine has done the same thing, twice, because of the battery dying. But when I drive it and restart it, everything goes away. Maybe try starting it another time and see if everything goes back to normal?

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I have heard a number of times that these ares are very electrical sensitive. Chances are you have a bad battery so the car is not seeing the voltage it wants/should on start up even though you just ran it.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Disconnect both leads from the battery and touch them together for a few seconds and reconnect them to the battery. This will reboot all the electronics and hopefully reset all the glitches.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4 V8, 2014 XTS-4 VSport
87 Posts
As lamrith says, these systems are extremely sensitive to voltage. Obviously, you have a battery issue. Save yourself time and trouble and replace the battery first. Then see how things behave.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Maybe also when it is running flip thru the DIC modes and double check what it says the voltage is while running. That will give you an idea of the alternator is working. Should be over 14V when running, barring any really bad cells in battery drawing it way down.

Given that it runs after jumpstart the alternator is probably fine and why the car stays running, but never hurts to check. If the battery is dead enough to require a jump start AND the alternator was bad the car would not run for very long as firing the ignition system plus all the electronics on it would drain the battery extremely fast. Best to get the batter replaced asap though as Alt running double duty will be pretty hard on it...

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
I believe my AC delco group 101 battery has a bad cell also. Let the car sit outside overnight and today the battery read 11.4V. Didn't start obviously. Going to buy a new group 78 battery soon (swapped in the one from my z06 for now). Sams club has a Duracell group 78 battery rated at 850 CCA for $97, much better than the AC delco's 650 CCA.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
The industry rates the Type 101 at 540 CCA; there's little reserve for a weak cell or poor connections. In 2008, it was upgraded along with the other changes. I've had no trouble from Type 78's.

·
Registered
cadillac STS 2006
1 Posts
So glad I found this thread. I've owned my 06 sts for 6 months. i had to jump start it in January because it was -25. The battery was brand new when I bought the car. I had all the same occurances as the writer. Since then I spoke with the dealership where I bought it and he said NEVER jump start a caddy.. only trickle charge it. So the car died in -7 weather and we trickle charged it. Now the voltage goes from 14.7 down to 13.4. It used to stay at 14.4 all the time. It also makes a sound like a barbie car.. like voltage running when I put my foot on the gas.. quiet in idle. Could it be the alternator going?.. I don't trust this car at all

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
keelady said:
So glad I found this thread. I've owned my 06 sts for 6 months. i had to jump start it in January because it was -25. The battery was brand new when I bought the car. I had all the same occurances as the writer. Since then I spoke with the dealership where I bought it and he said NEVER jump start a caddy.. only trickle charge it. So the car died in -7 weather and we trickle charged it. Now the voltage goes from 14.7 down to 13.4. It used to stay at 14.4 all the time. It also makes a sound like a barbie car.. like voltage running when I put my foot on the gas.. quiet in idle. Could it be the alternator going?.. I don't trust this car at all
You need 12 volts to maintain the cars electronics. You're at 13.4. You have NOTHING to worry about.

K

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery to me. These cars are very particular when it comes to batteries.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
There's no good reason to 'Never jump-start an STS'. There is good reason to suspect an undersized battery, even if one was specified by Cadillac until 2008. A type 78 fits fine and holds up better than all but the best examples of the OEM Delco batteries. (I did have one. It lasted almost 6 years of easy daily use.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts